DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I think it's interesting to see the old holdouts now, who were working before it became omnipresent. Like, half the main eventers in Japan have a thigh-slap knee strike as a signature spot--Omega, Miyahara, Marafuji, Takeshita, etc--and Jun Akiyama is still, well... yikes.

• Like 1

The funny thing is Akiyama's knees always looked weak back in the day. He has now fully embraced his role as the new Tenryu and I complement him on that, long as he keeps from seriously injuring someone. Now if only we could get him and Nagata together to beat the crap out of young boys...

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Someone already said Chris Adams but that is (at least in my mind) the correct answer

But this is fun as we are exposing the board demographics again.

... I remember Ed Lewis slapping his thigh as he Superkicked Joe Stecher. That's when I knew pro-wrestling was no longer what it once had been.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Re: thigh slapping.  I first really noticed it with Tajiri in ECW and the crowd just eating it up.  I also remember a letter to WOW magazine (Which was not a kayfabe mag) asking how Tajiri got that snap on his kicks, and the writer/editor replied that they thought he had a device in his boots that made the sound when he made a kicking motion and I remember going "What? Seriously?  He's slapping his thigh."  I mean, Tajiri was one of the best at making the slap look like part of the kicking motion, and the snap of his kicks fit it perfectly but you could still tell what he was doing with a video and slow-motion.

I remember reading the exact same thing on 1wrestling's Q&A column back in the day, so either the site ripped off the magazine or vise versa.

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I remember reading the exact same thing on 1wrestling's Q&A column back in the day, so either the site ripped off the magazine or vise versa.

I remember that too, and assumed that's why he switched to baggy pants for gear, to hide the "device".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Both had Apter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

I think it's interesting to see the old holdouts now, who were working before it became omnipresent. Like, half the main eventers in Japan have a thigh-slap knee strike as a signature spot--Omega, Miyahara, Marafuji, Takeshita, etc--and Jun Akiyama is still, well... yikes.

This is not on the usual source for indie Japanese wrestling. Is it available online anywhere? I need Omori/Akiyama vs. MONSTER RAGE in my life!

2 hours ago, nate said:

If there's any sense of what's right, Reigns shows up with this clip in tow - Strowman saying, "I don't know what kind of girl I am!" - to get in his head.

Well, you're just making loads of assumptions about Braun's gender.  

For shame. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This is not on the usual source for indie Japanese wrestling. Is it available online anywhere? I need Omori/Akiyama vs. MONSTER RAGE in my life!

I deleted the direct link. But, it's on the Real Hero Archive, Documentaries section, AJPW 11, July 2017. 

• Thanks 1

Match was really fun. Akiyama is even surlier than the last time I saw him ("Hey! Akiyama only looks out for one guy... Akiyama," "Sorry Akiyama," "Shut up."). Kitamura was already busted open in da mouf earlier in the match as far as I can tell. The knees look relatively safe because he's hitting Kitamura's giant pecs.

Akiyama was so much better off when he figured out he was a surly vet with a chip on his shoulder instead of a blue-chipper babyface or stoic Misawa-wannabe ace. I mean he was always really good, but the character tweak made him feel like a real top guy, not just a second-tier guy getting a push.

There was one match with him and Tenryu against GoBashi from 2005 that I loved so much.

3 hours ago, caley said:

Re: thigh slapping.  I first really noticed it with Tajiri in ECW and the crowd just eating it up.  I also remember a letter to WOW magazine (Which was not a kayfabe mag) asking how Tajiri got that snap on his kicks, and the writer/editor replied that they thought he had a device in his boots that made the sound when he made a kicking motion and I remember going "What? Seriously?  He's slapping his thigh."  I mean, Tajiri was one of the best at making the slap look like part of the kicking motion, and the snap of his kicks fit it perfectly but you could still tell what he was doing with a video and slow-motion.

I remember reading a letter in one of those mags where a guy said he saw Tajiri warming up before an ECW house show and he was throwing kicks at the air. The guy was convinced Tajiri was using a noise maker or something b/c he was still hearing the smacking sound even though Tajiri wasn't kicking anything.

13 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember reading a letter in one of those mags where a guy said he saw Tajiri warming up before an ECW house show and he was throwing kicks at the air. The guy was convinced Tajiri was using a noise maker or something b/c he was still hearing the smacking sound even though Tajiri wasn't kicking anything.

That and the "device in his baggy pants" were all mentioned in the 1bob column I referenced.  Seems we all read the same article in at least two different places somewhere in the early 2000s.

In my training for karate many moons ago, I remember how senseis could get serious pops when kicking the air, from the way the air would catch their gi pants.  I don't think that's what's going on with Tajiri though.

10 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Does that mean you speak Japanese?  (I guess your username should've been a clue)

It's an old Simpsons joke.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Does that mean you speak Japanese?  (I guess your username should've been a clue)

Ryan is correct. I wish Akiyama said that though. Used to speak a little bit of Jah-puh-kneez.

17 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Wow, so weird this came up, I was actually thinking about this line the other day when talking to my wife about the "leg slap."

I thought I read the above (Tajiri warming up and the smack being heard) on an older version of this board back in the day (maybe around the time time of the first few pages of the original SLEEZE!~!~ thread)... Weird how we all seem to have read the same thing in so many different spots.

I recall the "Tajiri hidden device to make noise" BS coming from Rick Scaia from the Wrestleline days.  Since I recall Ganc's Ask the Ganc gimmick absolutely tearing that hokum a new butthole here back in the day.

It's usually a safe bet that stupid theories from the late-90's came from Scoops or Wrestleline - and Scaia was just as bad as Scott Keith.