DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Just wanted to drop in and remind everyone that Bret Hart is my favorite, and the best wrestler of all time.  Thanks.  

I was just reading about his friendship with Roddy Piper in the latter's book.  They said that when Roddy got to the WWF he was telling everyone stories about Stu Hart and Bret, who was a rookie, confronted Piper saying the stories weren't true and not funny.  Piper apologized, and the two became life-long friends.  I never realized that what a big deal it was for Piper to let Bret pin him at Wrestlemania, because Piper almost never lost by pinfall on TV but he was willing to do it to help Bret out (Like Andre had once done for him).  Hart and Piper talked about how they would metaphorically "send up the bat signal" any time they needed to talk and, somehow, the other would phone almost every time.  Bret talking about how, after his cancer diagnosis, he up the bat signal, only to learn that Roddy had died and no one would ever answer the bat signal again was one of the saddest things in a pretty sad book.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, caley said:

Bret talking about how, after his cancer diagnosis, he up the bat signal, only to learn that Roddy had died and no one would ever answer the bat signal again was one of the saddest things in a pretty sad book.

:( Now ya got me all emotional, and stuff. 

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Piper died in July 2015

Hart announced he had cancer Feb 2016

Did Bret really not know Piper had died for that long?

Haha, well maybe I'm remembering it wrong.  Let me find the quote

1 minute ago, caley said:

Haha, well maybe I'm remembering it wrong.  Let me find the quote

Bret Hart had been one of first friends to get a call from Kitty [I cut some text here].After Roddy's trip through BC and Alberta, Bret had a biopsy that later confirmed he had prostate cancer.  He'd learned the result a week before Roddy's death, but hadn't told him about it.

"There's only one person I can talk to," he'd thought, "and that's Roddy.  Then I remember thinking, 'I don't want to burn him out.  I feel kinda lousy about it myself.'  I wasn't quite ready to to talk to him yet.  So I put it off.

When we spoke with him, the regret was clear.  "The only guy I felt comfortable talking to.  I say that will all honesty....It was Roddy.  I couldn't believe it when I got the news.  He was always my...when you get a real problem you call Roddy.  I was shining the batlight that day, and he wasn't there anymore to take it."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I was never bothered by Ohno's Weight gain because he reminds me of Takayama

He had little control over it to begin with due to injuries and his thyroid. Should have switched to the black trunks and kickpads though. Go full bore and dye hair blonde too.

14 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

So Bo Dallas is a bit of a nutjob. Sounds like they gave the "crazy backwoods cult guy" gimmick to the wrong brother:

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0807/629870/bo-dallas-talks-conspiracy-theories/

Bo Dallas and David Icke!

9 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Just wanted to drop in and remind everyone that Bret Hart is my favorite, and the best wrestler of all time.  Thanks.  

Mine as well!

13 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Is it my imagination or has Bo aged thirty years in the last three? Over a handful of years he went from fresh faced idealistic babyface.. to.. married, middle aged singlet Bo.. to..misunderstood, social outcast Bo... to.. trump supporter Bo... to..lizard people have all the power Bo.  

Cocaine is a helluva drug, pal!

My 13 y/o niece came to stay with me last week, and while I had time off work I started watching the Monday Night Wars documentary on the Network. During the Rock episode, my niece said "I still find it weird he used to be a wrestler" to which I replied "I still find it weird he's one of the biggest box office stars in the world!"

Perspective is a funny old thing innit.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

So Breezeango has to do a "Due South" spoof this week, right? 

I'm hoping we get a "Veronica Mars" spoof before this gimmick runs it's course. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know this is just a house show in Quebec... but oh my god when it happens for real, the pop is going to be gigantic...

KO's babyface turn is gonna be huge.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

jeez, with Pat Patterson there too, that segment couldn't have been anymore Canadian if Neil Young were playing and they started doing an SCTV skit afterward.

... And a mountie rides in on a moose to announce a 'Maple Syrup on a Pole' match, followed by a 'Sorry' match (like an inverted 'I Quit' match).

• Like 2

Disco Inferno trying to make sure that even fewer women go to wrestling shows with this creepy tweet.  

I assume this is based on what happened at the Scenic City Invitational when a dumbass thought it would be a great idea to tweet a video of Amber Young's ass and the shit storm of the people who liked it.