DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Is this actually true about the Miz? I'm not crazy about the guy on tv, but he seems like a decent dude when he's not in character.

I just remember the story that Johnny Fairplay stopped hanging around with him because Miz irritated him way too much. Think about that: he was too annoying for Johnny Fairplay, who is basically a human irritant.

• Like 2

In D-Bry's book he had this quick aside about leaving the bus on a tour because 'Miz was in one of his talking moods' and going off during a rest stop to flirt with Brie.

I get the vibe that Miz and probably Enzo are probably good enough dudes just VERY talkative, opinionated and no lack of self-confidence. We all have buddies like that. The guys that no matter the subject are gonna chime in and monologue. 

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

The mini-doc on The South Pacific Power Couple is top notch stuff.

Come to England, Do Wrestling

Genuinely likable and look to really break big in the next year. Maybe my favorite act.

One day the G1 will be over and I can get caught up on PROGESS.

Watching that and then watching the latest show... Feeling a little verklempt in here. That's the kind of stuff that makes pro wrestling so special.

27 minutes ago, nate said:

Would tomorrow make the 20th anniversary of the title change being undone?  They seemed to do that an awful lot.

Luger actually held it until that Sunday and dropped it to Hogan at Road Wild, if I recall correctly.

• Thanks 1

Not going to totally rehash it as I just mentioned it last week but Miz was cool enough to walk up to me unsolicited and thank me for taking care of his tab Sunday night. 

You could easily argue it would have been a dick move NOT to do that but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

This is a legit question and not a setup for a joke: Are there any good Insane Clown Posse matches (or, if you wouldn't use the word "good," "fun-though-flawed" ICP matches)?

that

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

In D-Bry's book he had this quick aside about leaving the bus on a tour because 'Miz was in one of his talking moods' and going off during a rest stop to flirt with Brie.

I get the vibe that Miz and probably Enzo are probably good enough dudes just VERY talkative, opinionated and no lack of self-confidence. We all have buddies like that. The guys that no matter the subject are gonna chime in and monologue. 

Miz strikes me as someone who was probably a grade A tool in his 20s and lived the gimmick a bit too much so to speak, but eventually developed enough self-awareness to grow out of it or at least realize he had to keep himself in check if he wanted to stay employed.

Enzo seems like someone who always was obnoxious but managed to parlay his obnoxiousness into something that got him a job.  Take someone who is naturally that over the top and put them in a situation where they have some degree of money and fame and they get even worse.  He's already 30 so who knows if he'll get his act together or not.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

One of my favorite moments/pops. 20 years ago today

Fucks sake, that was 20 years ago? Shit. I remember watching that Nitro. I'll echo Bryan/Vinny, that loss right after killed Luger. 

• Like 2

Hearing that stuff took place 20 years ago really makes me feel old. Luger was so god damn over in '96 and '97. He'd usually milk it and get by on his powerslam, chicken dance, and rack combination, but when he wanted to he could still really go. There were those moments, like in the match with Hogan to win the belt, where you could see the spark behind his eyes and it was awesome to watch. To this day, the '96 World War 3 battle royal ending is one of my favourite babyfaces vs. the world segments. Nuclear reaction even if the good guy failed in the end.

Randy Anderson calling for the bell... god damn. His reaction adds so much. WCW referees in general added so much to the matches. They'd be reacting like a fan would.

Edit: forgot to mention how ahead of the time his shades of gray run pre-nWo was. He was perfect in that role and he also played his abs like a guitar.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Pete said:

They were so ridiculously over in 2000 it was amazing. The first night of the Hammerstein double-shot where they won the ECW tag titles was one of the biggest face pops I ever heard, and the following night when they dropped the straps to the FBI may have been the loudest suck heat.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was there both nights, so I can vouch for this. If night one was the highest of highs, then night two felt like the lowest of lows. The Unholy Alliance was a feel good story of late ECW, which didn't have a lot of them. Paul E. should have just run with them as champions until the end. I assume they would have gotten the titles back had ECW not gone under.

Bringing this one over here from the Photo thread, where it went way off topic. 

I just watched the two shows in question. The second night vs the FBI was a helluva fun match. Just crazy spots and wild crowd heat. I almost found myself wanting to chant ECW. I loved the spot where Mikey climbs onto a stunned Big Sal's back and dives to the floor at Tony and Guido. 

Yes, the crowd deflated at the result. But up to that point, it was awesome AF. 

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

This is a legit question and not a setup for a joke: Are there any good Insane Clown Posse matches (or, if you wouldn't use the word "good," "fun-though-flawed" ICP matches)?

They were good at county fair main events. One of those was a match with Public Enemy on Nitro, No great shakes, but if you took your kids to see it at the fair, you would like it. 

The matches with the Filthy Animals were good ICP matches but bad Kidman/Rey/Eddy matches. 

Guess what I am saying is they could be worse. 

23 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Bringing this one over here from the Photo thread, where it went way off topic. 

I just watched the two shows in question. The second night vs the FBI was a helluva fun match. Just crazy spots and wild crowd heat. I almost found myself wanting to chant ECW. I loved the spot where Mikey climbs onto a stunned Big Sal's back and dives to the floor at Tony and Guido. 

Yes, the crowd deflated at the result. But up to that point, it was awesome AF. 

Tajiri should have been ECW World champion. He was wasted in that team. It was a great team, but the main events were threadbare after Mike Awesome left. 

Justin Credible was not really working in his Honky Tonk Man title reign. Tajiri was better than Jerry Lynn and Steve Corino too. I don't mean just in ring, loads of charisma and character, 

• Like 1

I agree 100% (not the wasted part, that tag with Whipwreck was fine by me).  Tajiri and to a lesser extent, Tanaka should've gotten a run with the belt. Credible stunk, and I never understood why he was pushed. Nothing against the guy, but I mean, come on. 

• Like 4

There were times I would see what Heyman saw in him. Like the rematch with Sasuke, he displayed a real heel presence. In a company where there are no rules, it is difficult to be a heel. So I can see the value in a guy like Credible as champion. But then he would get over pushed and people would get sick of looking at him. 

Even the Impact Players was Heyman trying to leech heat off Lance Storm, who was getting over as a heel. 

As far as 2000 goes, they would have been better off either having Sandman beat him, or let Rhino squash him. That Awesome, Tazzz, Dreamer, Credible series of title changes was bad booking. If WCW had not put their title on David Arquette and Vince Russo, I would say it was the worst booking of the year. 

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Fucks sake, that was 20 years ago? Shit. I remember watching that Nitro. I'll echo Bryan/Vinny, that loss right after killed Luger. 

I watched that live too and marking out like crazy. I was so sick of Hogan and the NWO having the title so seeing Luger win was amazing and it was a genuine feel good moment too. Of course a week later they killed it, but that was par for the course in WCW. It would have been a nice thing if the NWO had to chase the belt just for a little while. But Hogan always had to have the belt. Even if someone in the NWO had the title (Savage wins the title), he ended up getting it right away soon after.

• Like 1

To be fair they were still building to Hogan/Sting and felt that if Hogan was not champion for long, the match would mean less.  But then you have Luger, who was the top face in WCW and probably the country.

Luger did deserve the title, but I can't think of a way to do it without hurting Sting. 

They probably should have shifted the US belt to him. He always made it a big deal. 

• Like 4