DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The WWE always seems to get rid of the cool shit and leave the lame shit. I was looking forward to that game show and the return of the Edge and Christian Show and Talking Smack was one of the better weekly shows they had. But I'm sure Swerve comes back for a 3rd season.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Sometimes I have to admit - I love the stupid beauty of this fucking place

Nothing like a guy basically creating an account to get his tapes from Scott Mailman and then not returning for almost 4 years

That thread link earned you a trophy. 

I've been watching the G1 and the production on those shows in every venue they are in is perfectly fine. It looks great.  The fans are all jam packed together and the entrance ways just some some lighting a couple LED screens on both sides.  To me less is more.  

I loved the WrestleMania set this year. They can still do that or make the other PPV sets look nice but the RAW/SD setups would probably look better if they just gave it the old MSG feel.  I fucking hate that RAW has looked the same for the past 15 years. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I've been watching the G1 and the production on those shows in every venue they are in is perfectly fine. It looks great.  The fans are all jam packed together and the entrance ways just some some lighting a couple LED screens on both sides.  To me less is more.  

I loved the WrestleMania set this year. They can still do that or make the other PPV sets look nice but the RAW/SD setups would probably look better if they just gave it the old MSG feel.  I fucking hate that RAW has looked the same for the past 15 years. 

I hear you. They could run so many looks to change it up.and make it look cool. I swear, Vince still doesn't fully grasp that he won the war and is the only game in town.

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Well, he sent Shawn out there, incredibly pilled up every night in '97. As long as you were a top guy, and made him money, he didn't really give a shit. 

In fairness, Shawn wasn't really making him money, WWF was getting murdered by Nitro every week, so Vince put up with it because at least Shawn was one of the few top guys he had.  Once WWF was killing WCW and Shawn showed up messed up a few years later, THAT'S when Vince told him to fuck off. Vince has a moral compass when he's on top of the wrestling world.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also - per Dave - and it is the least shocking news ever....

The WWE is in major cost cutting mode because they had promised high-profit margins to the investors (because the Network subscriptions isn't as high as they thought they were going to be)

Hence why they are cutting so many Network shows, dumped pyro, dumped the purple ropes, etc... Basically right now all the cutting is in production costs.

Don't be shocked if there is another roster purge soon (that is my own speculation - not Meltzer's)

Hopefully the stupid LED apron and ringposts will get swept up in these cuts.

• Like 8

wwe has a major problem. due to overexposure, adding content doesn't lead to subscriber growth. casual fans are not clamoring for more than the 5 hours of original content they already get on cable.  they can cut costs to boost the bottom line but risk alienating current subscribers. 

8 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

The answer to the Network problem is Southpaw Regional.  I mean it probably coasts like $65 an episode to produce, and its pretty funny.  

a million times this!

12 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

In fairness, Shawn wasn't really making him money, WWF was getting murdered by Nitro every week, so Vince put up with it because at least Shawn was one of the few top guys he had.  Once WWF was killing WCW and Shawn showed up messed up a few years later, THAT'S when Vince told him to fuck off. Vince has a moral compass when he's on top of the wrestling world.

There's also the issue of Vince likely being worried about Shawn threatening to walk out and show up on Nitro. I don't know Shawn's contract situation or how easily he could've gotten out of it but I'm sure that Vince didn't want to fight with his biggest star, whose best friends happened to work for the competition.

The WWE's product (just testing this board upgrade's filter) is probably still as stagnant as it was when I was watching, so there really is no reason to pay for the Network unless you like old wrestling (which I do, and which was the real reason that I paid for the Network when I had it). 

If they were firing on all creative cylinders, the major shows/PPVs would be enough to drive people to the network. They need to fix their creative process.

That last sentence is the most obvious thing that I've written on this board to date.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don't know why people who only watch old stuff would pay for the network when there is so much on YouTube or other places, including almost everything that IS on the network. 

For just about anything from the pre-HD era, the quality on the Network is much nicer than what's out there in the trading community or on youtube. Yes, you have the issue of music edits (esp on ECW material). But that's a small price to pay for having the great VQ and easy access. 

I would love to see them add a "download for offline viewing" option on the mobile app, the way Netflix now has. 

I guess, as someone from the pre digital and pre cable era, who grew up watching grainy TV until going to college, i don't fussed over video quality. I'm happy to finally watch X (be it 80s wrestling or British tv shows or what have you) especially if it is for free and also not putting money in vince's pocket. 

But that's me. 

• Like 3