DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

As mentioned in the Upcoming Movie thread - John Cena has been named the lead in the Transformers Bumblebee movie.

Movie is expected to start shooting ASAP so one would assume Cena will be gone post-Summerslam so adjust your expectations - of I guess both WWE's booking plans and the movie - accordingly

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

As mentioned in the Upcoming Movie thread - John Cena has been named the lead in the Transformers Bumblebee movie.

So he was cast as a giant yellow robot?  That's daring.

Since he won't be around after Summer Slam, I assume they'll just have him squash Rusev again.

Also - per Dave - and it is the least shocking news ever....

The WWE is in major cost cutting mode because they had promised high-profit margins to the investors (because the Network subscriptions isn't as high as they thought they were going to be)

Hence why they are cutting so many Network shows, dumped pyro, dumped the purple ropes, etc... Basically right now all the cutting is in production costs.

Don't be shocked if there is another roster purge soon (that is my own speculation - not Meltzer's)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE is in major cost cutting mode because they had promised high-profit margins to the investors (because the Network subscriptions isn't as high as they thought they were going to be)

Hence why they are cutting so many Network shows, dumped pyro, dumped the purple ropes, etc... Basically right now all the cutting is in production costs.

Don't be shocked if there is another roster purge soon (that is my own speculation - not Meltzer's)

It may actually work out to our advantage as they'll be forced to put up older, ready-to-go wrestling (See: WCCW) on the network instead.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

how much do those purple ropes really cost? are they really saving money by not using them? or did they just get tired of switching them out all the time?

Yes - there was a claim that it was really expensive to do (I can't find the quote now but it was tens of thousands of dollars)

Remember - it wasn't actual ropes. They were putting up (and taking down) purple tape

Reports from folks was that it required like 20 guys working at top speed to get it done so the production cost is higher than one would imagine

At least someone in the company seems to be aware that those "flourishes" add nothing to the product - if they were so concerned with branding the Cruiserweight division, they'd have put a modicum of effort into the booking. No one cares about purple ropes if the dudes in the ring are Flippy Dude #1 and Cookie-Cutter Heel #2.

The pyro has been superfluous for a long time - if everyone has pyro, it isn't special for anyone to have.

• Like 5

This whole time I thought they were purple ropes and it was actually crazier than that. I shouldn't be surprised considering this is WWE and who knows why they do really stupid things, but here I am.

stock seems pretty stable.

remember when they put performers next to stone cold with a desk and a microphone. had him ask some challenging questions. garnered more interest than anything else they ever did outside of nxt? probably cheaper to produce than a roll of purple tape. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

stock seems pretty stable.

remember when they put performers next to stone cold with a desk and a microphone. had him ask some challenging questions. garnered more interest than anything else they ever did outside of nxt? probably cheaper to produce than a roll of purple tape. 

Vince McMahon didn't like the Dean Ambrose interview so the show is kind of on hiatus. When a company's discussions are based on the whims of a crazy old man, cool shit is the first thing to go.

• Like 3

Triple H's big matches at WrestleMania vary in quality. The great: vs. Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit (WM XX), John Cena (WM 22) vs. Undertaker (WM XXXVII-XXVIII) and Daniel Bryan (WM XXX).

The bad: vs. Chris Jericho (WM X8), Randy Orton (WM XXV), vs. Brock Lesnar (WM XXIX) and Roman Reigns (WM XXXII). The WM X8 and XXV matches are especially bad, more the Orton one somehow going on last over 'Taker-Michaels I classic. Trips vs. Reigns dragged like fuck, what a rubbish WrestleMania.

The other thing about Triple H at WrestleMania? The outlandish Triple H entrances. I'm thinking Trips doing a Randy Marsh at WrestleMania XXIX with the dry ice on stomach, the close up of Hunter's face taking of the skull mask at WrestleMania XXX. I also have to mention Trips cosplay as a fuckin' Terminator at XXXI and cracking up watching Triple H's motorcycle convoy at this year's WrestleMania in the early hours of the morning.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Vince McMahon didn't like the Dean Ambrose interview so the show is kind of on hiatus. When a company's discussions are based on the whims of a crazy old man, cool shit is the first thing to go.

That's not true though. People keep beating that drum, but Austin has, on more than one occasion, said that it has to do with his schedule. He simply hasn't had the time with everything else he had going on to come out to wherever they've been at to do the podcast. Add to the fact that Austin's contract lapsed and you have another reason why he hasn't been back to do another podcast.

Foley isn't doing it, Jericho isn't going to do it, and the list of guests are dwindling. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back at some point, but all of these guys have their own podcasts on their own networks and I'd imagine that also is a complicating matter.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I wondered about the pyro. Ta.

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's not true though. People keep beating that drum, but Austin has, on more than one occasion, said that it has to do with his schedule. He simply hasn't had the time with everything else he had going on to come out to wherever they've been at to do the podcast. Add to the fact that Austin's contract lapsed and you have another reason why he hasn't been back to do another podcast.

Foley isn't doing it, Jericho isn't going to do it, and the list of guests are dwindling. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back at some point, but all of these guys have their own podcasts on their own networks and I'd imagine that also is a complicating matter.

Well, in that case what's the harm in advertising that a WWE guest is going to be on one of their shows?  Surely when Bayley was on Stone Cold's they could have mentioned in her match that she'll be on there.  Plus it doesn't cost them a dime to do a network show.

Hey timing issues sound like a good reason why they haven't happened. 

But I don't think the list of guests are dwindling. Hardys, Joe, Owens and Angle are all guests I'd love to see and they are all employed by the WWE. I mean shit they are gonna be in LA for No Mercy in September, Austin lives out there. They could tape 2 or 3 that day and have them in the can and release them monthly.

Austin may not be in LA at that time though. He's always bouncing from one project to the next judging by what he talks about on his podcast. And unless Podcast One partners with WWE suddenly, I don't see WWE giving another company free publicity. Everything has a price.

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

I guess I was saying hypothetically if Austin was avaible. I hope these production cuts don't disrupt the planned game show on the network with R-Truth as the host.

That and the Edge & Christian show have been rumored to be either axed or put on hold.

• Sad 1

Austin is diplomatic when discussing his relationship with WWE. Maybe he's too busy or the money isn't good enough for him to bounce around to wherever Raw is. But there's no reason the interviews need to be live. Park him in Stamford for a week let him bang out a bunch.