DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 114: Moreno vs. Pettis (8/5/2017) - Mexico City, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Mexico_City_Pettis_vs._M

UFC Fight Night 114: Moreno vs. Pettis
August 5, 2017
Mexico City, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Brandon Moreno (126) vs. Sergio Pettis (126) - Pettis, DEC (unanimous)
Randa Markos (116) vs. Alexa Grasso (119)* - Grasso, DEC (split)
Alan Jouban (171) vs. Niko Price (170) - Price,  TKO (punches), R1 (1:44)
Martín Bravo (145) vs. Humberto Bandenay (146) -  Bandenay, KO (knee), R1 (0:26)
Sam Alvey (186) vs. Rashad Evans (186) - Alvey, DEC (split)
Alejandro Pérez (135) vs. Andre Soukhamthath (136) - Pérez, DEC (split)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Brad Scott (185) vs. Jack Hermansson (185) - Hermansson, TKO (elbows and punches), R1 (3:50)
Dustin Ortiz (125) vs. Hector Sandoval (126) - Ortiz, KO (punches), R1 (0:15)
Enrique Briones (136) vs. Rani Yahya (136) - Yahya, SUB (kimura), R1 (2:01)
José Alberto Quiñónez (135) vs. Diego Rivas (136) - Quinonez, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Joseph Morales (125) vs. Roberto Sanchez (126) - Morales, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:56)
Alvaro Herrera (156) vs. Jordan Rinaldi (156) - Rinaldi, SUB (Von Flue choke), R1 (2:01)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night:  Joseph Morales
Performance of the Night:  Dustin Ortiz
Performance of the Night:  Humberto Bandenay
Performance of the Night:  Niko Price

Attendance: 10,172
Rating: 859,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Chris Gruetzemacher vs. Martín Bravo - Injury to Gruetzemacher
Hacran Dias vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov - Magomedsharipov Moved to Another Event

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On the UFC weigh in show today (which only showed the HLs since there was no ceremonial one), her reason for missing weight is a urinary tract infection and she was given antibiotics as a result.

That's gotta be a first.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 2:27 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

Sanchez is in the same line of work as me (for his day job) so I'm rooting for him.

I get the impression he's in tough with this matchup though.

He got a takedown immediately but it didn't turn out very well once Morales got back on his feet.

That was an extremely winnable fight for Soukhamthath. He was taunting when he should have been trying to follow up and finish Perez after he hurt him in the first half of the fight.

19 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That was an extremely winnable fight for Soukhamthath. He was taunting when he should have been trying to follow up and finish Perez after he hurt him in the first half of the fight.

It was his fight to lose and that's exactly what he did, fucking dumbshit; not to belabor the obvious, but when your last name is Soukhamthath and you're fighting a guy named "Perez" in Mexico City, do you really want to fuck around and let it go to the judges? It was the correct decision, don't get me wrong; it was also one of the best examples of MMA-dumb that I've seen this year. What a fucking maroon. 

Rashad gotta hang em up. Physically, he just doesn't have it anymore. He went to go train in New Jersey with Edgar and Mark Henry, and obviously it didn't help. You cannot reverse that amount of physical depreciation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Rashad gotta hang em up. Physically, he just doesn't have it anymore. He went to go train in New Jersey with Edgar and Mark Henry, and obviously it didn't help. You cannot reverse that amount of physical depreciation.

I hate to agree with you, but there it is. Rashad is such a nice guy that you want things to go well for him and I thought that dropping down to MW might have added a year or two to his career, but there's just too much else missing to make up for. Time to quit before he gets seriously hurt.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The Jouban/Price stoppage made me think of the Jones/DC complaints. It looked a touch early, probably didn't change the end result but he definitely didn't give Jouban time to recover like Big John gave to Cormier.

Jouban was out on his feet when he stood up. Yeah, it was a decent stoppage he was toast.

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

The Jouban/Price stoppage made me think of the Jones/DC complaints. It looked a touch early, probably didn't change the end result but he definitely didn't give Jouban time to recover like Big John gave to Cormier.

Jouban was pretty wobbly when he got up. He didn't protest the stoppage either.

12 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I hate to agree with you, but there it is. Rashad is such a nice guy that you want things to go well for him and I thought that dropping down to MW might have added a year or two to his career, but there's just too much else missing to make up for. Time to quit before he gets seriously hurt.

The injuries and time away did him in. The Minotoro fight was a sign of things to come, but he still looked fine when he pummeled Chael at UFC 167 in the fight after that. It also doesn't help that he doesn't have a style that allows him to stave off looking miserable in the cage. He wasn't a fighter with a ton of activity anyway, but if you remove what is there and also his inability to keep his opponents on their back, Rashad Evans has completely nothing to bring to a fight.

8 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Jouban was out on his feet when he stood up. Yeah, it was a decent stoppage he was toast.

I agree, but if he stood up and wasn't wobbly than people would have complained. I'm just pointing it out since it shows how hard the referee's job is within that moment to figure out if a fighter is going to be able to recover or not from a hard shot.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I thought Grasso 29-28 was the right call. The hopping guillotine choke takedown defense at the end was kinda wicked.

With ya 100%

• Like 1

Sergio Pettis just proved to be more technically proficient tonight. His jab was laser guided and those kicks were timed pretty well. He is so much better than when he started his UFC run. His confidence has grown a ton as well.

I think Moreno has to put more work on trying improve his offensive wrestling because I dunno if his striking will catch up with how good he is on the ground.  When he was able to get in on the hips of Sergio, he was able to get the takedown in the final round. Just too little, too late.

Moreno is basically where Sergio was when he started in the UFC at bantamweight except his weakness is clearly the striking aspects, both offensively and defensively.  It's going to be harder to beat stronger and more well rounded fighters unless they fall into a very vulnerable position like Pettis did in round 1 or his previous opponents. His goal should be to work on the grappling all around and to gain more strength so it will be ease the path to getting takedowns and submissions. In addition, he has to add head movement because Pettis showed that you can chain combinations together on Moreno. The next year or so for Moreno will be intriguing because he would be lost in the shuffle if there were a ton of interesting prospects at flyweight. However, if he can make those improvements as I stated, he should still hover around being a top ten flyweight. That's the advantage of being in a division where a vast majority of the other top fighters are also fatally flawed.