DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - Brooklyn III

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Also how can we ignore the greatness last night of this guy

DHoRd25W0AATTGg.jpg

It shows you how nothing 205 Live is that pissed off Neville is a great character that nobody recognizes.  I mean he is so mad at losing the title that he is pissed off at Corey Graves turning on him in NXT about 3 years ago.   The look he gave Corey at the end was just awesome

Thanks for the heads-up, this part of the pre-show was fantastic (I was waiting for Corey to adjust his collar). Corey is in a league of his own nowadays and Sam Roberts is a freakin' great interviewer.

The women's title match was wonderful live and I appreciated it even more on a rewatch. I was afraid going in that the crowd didn't care enough about Ember to make this work, but they put on such a great match that I think it was undeniable. The start was super intense, and then Asuka's arm work was the most she's leaned into that kind of cruel, wrenching submission work in NXT. Ember's athleticism really shone, especially in the way she can make a lot of her different strikes (this is helped by Asuka's bumping, obviously) connect for what really work as tide-turning moments. That was a really special match, y'all.

• Like 2

So I think it's safe to say NXT is officially back. That Takeover was second only to R-Evolution in my book.

Almas/Gargano was great opener with lots of heat, and finally gave Almas a signature win. Really liked the back and forth struggle sequence for the corner knees, and it made the kick out mean something. The DIY shirt distraction was pretty ok as far as distraction finishes go. Surprised the announcers didn't make a bigger deal out of it, although as others have said, the announcing was trash all show.

Sanity's face turn was unexpected but cool. Great use of all 4 members, and it seems like the crowds have been wanting to cheer for Nikki at least. Wolfe showed more here than he has in his entire NXT run to this point. The ReDragon reunion was a nice surprise at the end.

Itami/Black was good as expected. Itami not going over was the only real booking head-scratcher of the night. Seems like he's in a big hole now, even though his work the last month has been top-notch. Black's been great too, though, so it's tough to say he doesn't deserve it.

So glad they're invested in Asuka's streak now. There is a legit main event match with Sasha down the road if they keep it in tact. Let Asuka leave NXT with her head high, and hit the reset button on the women's division.

The main event was ok, but the important thing is Drew is champ now. He's an ace that works for NXT. Then they took the ReDragon reunion one step further and added Adam Cole for a real holy-shit ending. This felt like a direction-changing show for NXT, and a proper culmination for what they've been building the last month or so. They had a bit of a down year between Brooklyn 2 and 3, but they're back (bay-bay).

4 hours ago, maciej said:

The women's title match was wonderful live and I appreciated it even more on a rewatch. I was afraid going in that the crowd didn't care enough about Ember to make this work, but they put on such a great match that I think it was undeniable. The start was super intense, and then Asuka's arm work was the most she's leaned into that kind of cruel, wrenching submission work in NXT. Ember's athleticism really shone, especially in the way she can make a lot of her different strikes (this is helped by Asuka's bumping, obviously) connect for what really work as tide-turning moments. That was a really special match, y'all.

Feel the same way. I thought Asuka vs. Ember Moon was great on a first viewing and even better second time around.

BTW, if you gave me a dollar for every Bullet Club shirt at the show and took away $5 for every WWE shirt, I'd still be in the black by a good margin. You'd think NJPW was running things there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

Code Orange's singer really sounds like Zack de la Rocha but it's a good wrestling theme, which falls under different criteria than the music for actual listening.

You're spot on with the Zach de la Rocha comparison. I don't think that type of vocalist really fits a theme for Aleister Black. I would expect to hear something closer to King Diamond; based on Aleister's look, the set up of candles in his entrance, and his ring name being an homage to Alister Crowley.

21 minutes ago, FireThunder said:

WWE is reporting that Asuka broke her right collarbone in her match at Takeover.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/asuka-suffers-injury-at-nxt-takeover?sf108143396=1

God damnit. This might be a blessing in disguise.

I said earlier that she needs to come to the main roster with her undefeated streak intact. A lot of people are against her vacating the title instead of putting somebody over on the way out. A collarbone injury is a really tough one and I hate to see someone as talented and as important as her suffer through that, but... sorta fixes both problems, doesn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There would be a lot of angry folks if Rhonda was the one who snapped Asuka' streak.

And those people would be very, very stupid people who should no longer be allowed to talk about WWE business/booking anymore.

Actually, now I'm imagining Meltzer on Twitter having to respond to people complaining about it. Jesus.

Looks like Asuka will be healed up by Survivor Series Takeover so there's really no reason to do anything.

They could take the belt off Auska and give it to the MYC winner.

Then you can either call her up when she's healed, or have her come back for what's hers. Decent story potential there.

Or you can just let her streak build without her in action.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They could take the belt off Auska and give it to the MYC winner.

Then you can either call her up when she's healed, or have her come back for what's hers. Decent story potential there.

Or you can just let her streak build without her in action.

Was it Pancrase that declared "interim champions" when the KOP titlist was hurt? That way you still have a title to promote without taking away the actual title from the legit champion, then you run a "unification" match to clear things up after (s)he heals up.