DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - Brooklyn III

Dolfan in NYC

40 minutes ago, turk128 said:

The only thing that would have made it better is if they were in deathmetal getup (like Crozer band did for Wyatts).

Do you mean black metal attire? Because death metal attire is basically a leather jacket, black or white t-shirt and some blue jeans. Black metal is the corpse paint and spikes and shit.

Nevermind the fact that Incendiary and Agent Orange aren't even metal, but still....

• Like 2

Yeah saying that Code Orange is death metal was like saying Linkin Park was metal whatever the fuck "nu metal" was actually

I really have no idea Black does his gimmick at times.  Walking around completely stone faced while they are playing their ass off full of energy was amazing.   I just picture him after the match doing a ton of happy dances to let out all of this energy

By the way, the even more legendary fan looking at the camera in that picture is looking at you going "this girl is known for wanted to face fuck wrestlers and cream on her face and all you got was wrestling tickets" (Just kidding) ^_^

• Haha 1

I was so sad last year when they were trotting out Almas as a milquetoast babyface against Amazing Entrance Song Bobby Roode, so it made me very happy that he was able to have that awesome match that the crowd got super into by the end this year.

Also how can we ignore the greatness last night of this guy

DHoRd25W0AATTGg.jpg

It shows you how nothing 205 Live is that pissed off Neville is a great character that nobody recognizes.  I mean he is so mad at losing the title that he is pissed off at Corey Graves turning on him in NXT about 3 years ago.   The look he gave Corey at the end was just awesome

• Like 3

Neville no-selling being on camera in the crowd for 90 seconds straight was really something. I kept waiting for him to at least acknowledge that the camera was a foot away from him. A+ petulant heel stewing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

What a surreal moment.  Three of the top ROH guys standing tall while the former ROH announcer talks about it.

We are Davie Richards & Eddie Edwards away from having a Future Shock reunion right?   Forgive my ignorance, I didn't follow ROH at that point.

15 minutes ago, Justin877 said:

We are Davie Richards & Eddie Edwards away from having a Future Shock reunion right?   Forgive my ignorance, I didn't follow ROH at that point.

Future Shock was Cole and O'Reilly, or as I like to call them the Co'Reilly Factor.

Davey and Eddie are the American Wolves.

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My favorite was the guy behind me on my left taking credit for the crowd chanting "Sweet" after the 2 count.  

Second favorite was the guy behind me on my right announcing he was cheering for whoever was taller, because they were obviously winning.

I need to talk to Ray about getting access to the Twitter account... I had some thoughts.  

Oh yeah, the show itself was good too.

I had a guy trying to start a Fuck TNA chant at the beginning of Roode/McIntyre and being pissed at the crowd for it not catching on. 

Corey Graves and JR really should have switched announcing duties for their respective matches. But, regardless, Graves not being in the NXT booth is a damn travesty, in my opinion. I just don't like Nigel, and Percy is about as bad as Otunga, Booker T or Lawler.

Graves & Ranallo would be the absolute best.

Also baffled at the complaint that the WWE is pushing guys that are too small.

I'm not as high on KOR as some circles, which think he's one of the best in the world, but him and Fish basically work as MMA-esque striker/submission guys, which they legit have training for. Size doesn't equal tough. By this logic, DB wasn't believable tapping Big Dave. O'Reilly was portrayed as going 50/50 on the mat with Sakuraba, I think he can handle Alexander Wolff.

Adam Cole (Bay Bay) isn't a monster by any stretch but a 3 time ROH champion and portrayed as crafty and ruthless etc.

There's a billion legal ways to watch wrestling these days, utterly amazed anyone could be unfamiliar with these three and I barely even watch ROH.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

There's a billion legal ways to watch wrestling these days, utterly amazed anyone could be unfamiliar with these three and I barely even watch ROH.

Don't have time for everything or an interest in everything. NXT is my first exposure to all three. I'm pretty much indifferent and waiting to see what they can do. I do like seeing a stable arrive like this.

Oh, I understand. It's very hard to even watch everything WWE puts out. 

ReDragon are a great, physical team and Adam Cole (Bay Bay) is a really strong promo and does over-wrought main events well, which should dovetail nicely with NXT main event style.

Other thoughts on the show:

- I think Almas is close. Him and Vega have a great look and he's really upped his charisma and confidence. He was always going to be main roster because they need Hispanic stars but I think this presentation works. Johnny Gargano could/should main event Takeover next year and win the belt. Would blow the roof off the place.

- Tag was fucking bonkers. I believe in AOP because Sanity doesn't do much for me. Great unexpected end to their run. I had a hunch they were losing because it's redunant to run multiple undefeated streaks on the same brand. Once they lost I figured Asuka was winning.

- Black vs Itami was okay. I didn't notice any complaints about 5'2 Itami going 50/50 with the 9 foot tall Satanic death metal monster.

- I need to rewatch Ember vs Asuka. Riveting match but wasn't as high as some. It's pretty clear that they are all fucking in on the streak with the Goldberg talk. When it ends it's going to be the main event of a major arena show and pushed as this epic moment. Maybe 'mania weekend? It would be cool to have main roster wrestlers come down to take their shot at history or have Asuka start doing PPV appearances as she hunts for competition. 

- Main event started great, fell into a coma for 17 minutes, and had a hot finish. Drew's win doesn't feel 'earned' as far as this NXT run but good for him. He's not long for NXT I imagine. Can imagine Cole takes it by Rumble Takeover.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

Graves & Ranallo would be the absolute best.

Mauro is shit - legitimately the worst part of this show, and that includes Percy Watson.

Why was JR even there? Mauro was babbling on top of everyone that whole match.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Johnny Gargano could/should main event Takeover next year and win the belt. Would blow the roof off the place

I'm honestly hoping Gargano wins the belt next year with Ciampa returning to destroy him right after the match.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Mauro is shit - legitimately the worst part of this show, and that includes Percy Watson.

Why was JR even there? Mauro was babbling on top of everyone that whole match.

I'm not a calling moves guy but if your claim to fame is your breadth of knowledge and you're miscalling every other move maybe you need another shtick. In between the miscalling moves and trying to shoehorn in every fucking pop culture or puro reference, Maura was awful. The worst was there was like a dueling clothesline strike sequence in I think the tag match or maybe the Itami/Black match and Mauro screamed "shades of Frye/Takayama." Not really, dude. 

• Like 1

After living through Cole/Lawler, I am immune to bad commentary. I'm generally so focused on the match I barely pay them any mind at all, at the end of the night I rarely can quote anything the commentators said. I get some people care more than I do, but it could be Lita and Matt Striker doing commentary and it wouldn't impact my opinion of the show itself.

• Like 3

I think the NXT commentary team of Graves and Phillips was legitimately very good, which makes the current hotch-potch team look even weaker by comparison. Having two matches back-to-back with a "special guest" creating a four man team was overkill. Thankfully, the show was strong enough to survive that.

Incidentally, I learned this weekend that Tom Phillips became only the 5th person to work as lead commentator at a WrestleMania this year. That felt like a slightly odd stat.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Do you mean black metal attire? Because death metal attire is basically a leather jacket, black or white t-shirt and some blue jeans. Black metal is the corpse paint and spikes and shit.

Nevermind the fact that Incendiary and Agent Orange aren't even metal, but still....

Welp, I learn something new; always mixed death metal and black metal, same difference to me.

Is being 'metal' a really specific term? Because I thought Code Orange counts since when I did a quick google yesterday, metal sites were reporting on them... and they are categorized as 'metallic hardcore.' Not my ballpark at all so ¯\_(ツ)_/