DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - Brooklyn III

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

As someone who has not seen ROH in forever...   who is left there?   This feels like the last of what they had.    Keith Lee is the man but he's not there right? He should be down in the performance center soon anyway.  Dude is a beast. 

Bullet Club and Briscoes, mainly.  Though, IMO, the highlights of the show the past 6 months or so, as everyone departed, has been Dalton Castle (Great character, fun matches, total package), Silas Young (Great promos, great character, solid wrestler), and Punishment Martinez (Super green and raw, but has a total presence and fun style).

Asuka isn't vacating the belt or going up to the main roster, and why should she. It doesn't help anyone if she vacated the belt as then the new NXT champion would always feel like second choice, since they book the events there isn't any reason to intentionally do that to themselves unless there is an injury. RAW and SD have enough issues with their women's division as it is, and Asuka already has a built in storyline that they have been heavily hyping. Her going to SD or RAW and getting lost in the shuffle like everyone else would just leave a void on NXT for no reason.

We (meaning the fans) have no idea if she is ever going to the main shows but if she is, it would make sense for it to happen after giving the rub to someone else, not crushing a division and leaving. NXT isn't a true farm system anymore, they need NXT to draw too and have popular wrestlers, I don't see why they'd be in any rush to move her up until they have to.

Overall I thought it was a really good show, Asuka/Moon was my favorite match of the night but I enjoyed the tag title match as well. Roode bores me a bit, I recognize he is a quality wrestler and knows what he is doing, the style just isn't my personal favorite.

I passed Seth Rollins on the way to the restaurant we went to and we passed Pete Gas on the way to the Arena.

They were taping the pre-show while we came in.  We did catch the fans chanting "Where's your case" at Baron but didn't actually see it.  I get the feeling they may have been below us some place.  Bayley got booed when she and Becky did a pre-tape interview. 

Next week's show:

- No Way Jose came out and got a big pop, but Lars Sullivan jumps him on the ramp.

- Peyton Royce beat Sarah Logan with a fisherman's suplex

- Pete Dunne & Wolfgang over Trent Seven & Tyler Bate.  Crowd was really into Tyler, Trent and Pete.  Dunne's very over with the crowd and the crowd really got up when Tyler and Pete were in.  Wolfgang did a blind tag, Tyler hit the Tyler driver and got nailed with the swanton after he let go of Dunne.

As far as live performances go, having the band play on the open rather than interrupting the show like they have done with Mania was probably the way to go with them.

- Gargano and Almas was pretty great.  This really felt like the most over matches of the show.

- I was kind of surprised that Sanity won the belts, disappointed they took Dain out of the match.  Feels like they picked the right place to have ReDragon appear as a team because the crowd knew them and popped live.  I was convinced someone was going to come out from under the ring because I swore I saw something pull the jackets under the ring at one point.

-  Black's entrance was cool.  Was kind of underwhelmed by the match.  It wasn't horrible but live where I was, didn't seem like it really connected.

- The finishing stretch of Asuka and Ember was great.  Quick question, did the ring announcers make a point of Asuka looking right at Becky when she was using a step over armbar on Ember?  I was expecting them to do something with the Horsewomen and Asuka during the show, but they were gone right at the finish.

- Drew should probably bring back Broken Dreams.  Roode's theme song is super over, even with the walk way graphics botch.  A very solid match, that was a very Main Roster Catch on Drew's dive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

You would think they would have strapped the rocket on Dalton Castle by now, but they still haven't.

At the close of the ROH Liverpool show last night, Cody asked who was left after he pinned Sanada. Dalton Castle answered the challenge, so he's at least next in line. Whether or not they put the strap on him is another thing. 

It's worrying when the Vince Effect of "smaller = not credible" is actually an opinion held by some wrestling fans. After a good 15 minute match (or around there), O'Reilly & Fish still can't beat up Young & Wolfe (and one of the guys from AoP, who only really got a kick to the head while he was on the mat). Adam Cole, O'Reilly & Fish can't beat down McIntyre because he's really tall and musclar? Despite having been in a really long match beforehand and was attacked from behind?

I also don't agree that any of the three look like "security guards from a RAW main event angle". That's Johnny Gargano, and he was fighting the AoP on a regular basis a few months ago.

• Like 1

The best NXT title reign of all-time comes to an end in fucking incredible match. It ended the only way Roode's reign could've, with hubris being his downfall. The huge shit-eating grin right before the first Glorious DDT was everything great about Bobby Roode in a single moment.

Then it all comes crashing down for Drew anyway. Adam Cole baybay.

Tag title match was solid.

Itami/Black's opening five minutes was perfection. After that, it was just really solid and brutal.

That was the best Takeover women's title match since Bayley got called up. Did a great job of establishing Moon as a threat, and it made Asuka look even better, surviving.

Almas/Gargano was the worst match of the night, but that was always going to be the case. I'm still lost on what anyone sees in Almas.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

They were taping the pre-show while we came in.  We did catch the fans chanting "Where's your case" at Baron but didn't actually see it.  I get the feeling they may have been below us some place.  Bayley got booed when she and Becky did a pre-tape interview. 

Corbin referenced the "where's your case?" chant in his preshow segment at the desk (I don't think you guys saw that since they were taping matches)

Last night was the first night I ever felt like "Man - the music the kids like these days is so not for me"

I do believe Pete??? said though that in the crowd the musical acts were WAY over

I also enjoyed Ember/Asuka. Best Ember match yet and I felt like this finally moved her to the next level much like Becky's loss to Sasha at Unstoppable did her. When (if?) Asuka finally drops the title, it's gonna be epic. 

• Like 1

Was just coming here to post about Ember/Asuka.  The feud in general was underwhelming and coming in, I felt like they didn't do a great job of building up Ember to Asuka's level.  But the match itself delivered and both women came out of it stronger.

Card in general was enjoyable.  Not a fan of Sanity or AoP becoming de facto babyfaces.

Really uninterested in the ending.  They'll have to work fairly hard to get me interested in Cole/Fish/O'Reilly.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

It's worrying when the Vince Effect of "smaller = not credible" is actually an opinion held by some wrestling fans. After a good 15 minute match (or around there), O'Reilly & Fish still can't beat up Young & Wolfe (and one of the guys from AoP, who only really got a kick to the head while he was on the mat). Adam Cole, O'Reilly & Fish can't beat down McIntyre because he's really tall and musclar? Despite having been in a really long match beforehand and was attacked from behind?

I also don't agree that any of the three look like "security guards from a RAW main event angle". That's Johnny Gargano, and he was fighting the AoP on a regular basis a few months ago.

"worrying" indeed.

It's believable to see how those things occurred in the same way we see Undertaker die and get resurrected on a yearly basis without blinking. It is what it is. 

What doesn't make it believable when they're any real threat to these guys looking as lame as they did. Untanned, no muscle definition and half a foot shorter against products of a system that see that as a baseline requirement. 

You expect Sanity, or Drew or the AOP to get revenge. You can't buy in to them overcoming the odds, or the numbers game, because it's three relatively unimpressive guys. Whilst youre right in saying that they're perfectly capable of holding their own in-ring, capable of beating any of those guys etc...portraying them as an outside threat to personal safety is a step too far for me.

It's the Trio of Nerds from season six of Buffy.

For those of you keeping score that was Incendiary frontman Brendan Garrone joining Code Orange to do Black's theme song - what a fucking entrance. So despite being old and out of touch, RIPPA, you were totally right.

Honestly the best Takeover top to bottom they've done yet. 

Yeah, this Takeover, on paper, had no right to be that good. It was probably among the best yet.

RIP Nikki Cross, your glorious sacrifice was so worth it. She sold it like she was ded. And there was a lil bit of feels there with Wolfe showing some really great genuine emotion at the win.

I miss Corey so much: "Chaos is indeed a ladder."

Asuka/Ember match was rough yet great. What really stood out for me was how fantastic Ember sold that arm injury.

Roode/McIntyre brought their freakin workboots, that  was just a grueling brawl of a match. One of the most viscous painful looking backstabber too.

The RoH dudes showing up do almost nothing for me, but at least Adam Cole and Bobby Fish have something akin to a look. Kyle O'Reily's pale-as-a-sheet cruise ship diarrhea face is not something I need to look at again. I remember catching some RoH TV from when Cole was champion and being underwhelmed by him, but I will say he has upside. He's a legitimate heat magnet and at least as good a promo as somebody like Omega. He could stand to have a gimmick but I think I might enjoy him more structured environment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

For those of you keeping score that was Incendiary frontman Brendan Garrone joining Code Orange to do Black's theme song - what a fucking entrance. So despite being old and out of touch, RIPPA, you were totally right.

Honestly the best Takeover top to bottom they've done yet. 

The only thing that would have made it better is if they were in deathmetal getup (like Crozer band did for Wyatts).

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Last night was the first night I ever felt like "Man - the music the kids like these days is so not for me"

I do believe Pete??? said though that in the crowd the musical acts were WAY over

Honestly the band was mic'd too loud to really gauge a crowd reaction. They definitely weren't getting booed though. 

Show was fantastic live. Main event was a little flat (looked to us like Drew whiffed on the finish) but the post-match festivities more than made up for it. Beaucoup thanks to She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named for comping me and Ray her tickets.

• Like 1