DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - Brooklyn III

Dolfan in NYC

Really enjoyed Takeover, but a future scene based around Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole gives me no real interest in the TV going forward. O'Reilly looks like the love child of Davey Richards and an orangutan, and pretty much wrestles like one too.

Opener felt like MotN to me, really great stuff from both guys, really tense nearfalls towards the end, and the interference ending was actually really smart. Both guys looked good because of this match.

Tag title match was really fun. Nikki Cross as unlikely face manager heating up the crowd worked far better than expected. Wolfe has been overlooked for a while now, good to see him get a chance to shine.

Black/Itami was fine, I guess.

Asuka/Moon was the best Moon match to date, another match tonight where the loss did no harm to the loser. Didn't buy the Eclipse as a nearfall as it didn't feel like they'd built up to it, but the superkick sure did and the actual end was excellent.

Really enjoyed the main too. Drew finding fun ways to throw Roode around early on was great, and that tope was nuts. Crowd being so flat hurt it a bit, but the work was really good.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

As someone who has not seen ROH in forever...   who is left there?   This feels like the last of what they had.    Keith Lee is the man but he's not there right? He should be down in the performance center soon anyway.  Dude is a beast. 

The Briscoes are still hanging around.  But, yeah, aside from Dalton Castle, the only thing really keeping them relevant is their NJPW relationship.   And Cody.  I guess.

Random aside: If I was Naito, I would spit in the face of whoever booked me to fly to the UK to wrestle an ROH show after I just finished maybe the most grueling G1 ever.

Extra random, Naito-related aside:  It seemed like Nigel really had to stop himself from calling Almas' tornado inverted DDT the Destino.

Amazing show top to bottom and one of my favorite Takeovers ever. Wasn't expecting much outside of the top two matches but thought everything delivered.

Almas/Gargano was an excellent opener with a super hot crowd. Never used to care much for Gargano but he's come in to his own well. Right finish with Zelina finally getting Almas a big win.

Tag match ruled. If anyone's gonna beat the Authors of Pain, Sanity seemed like the best most believable fit. That table smash at the end was so killer.

Haven't been huge on Alestair Black but loved tonights match the most of his. Both guys hit some brutal stuff. The finish was absolute perfection.

Asuka/Ember delivered as I hoped and was one of my favorite matches of the year. Incredible finishing stretch. Love both but glad Asuka retained and never wanna see her lose, especially now that she retained here. Some of the best near falls anywhere with super hot crowd reactions. Loved this. Asuka is the best.

Thought the main event was really good but not the absolute best from either guy. Hoped for a longer Roode reign but Drew's always been one of my favorites and he's the only guy I would've wanted to see beat Roode. Think the crowd was spent from losing their minds on Asuka/Ember, not that they weren't in to either guy here. Loved the tilt-a-whirl into DDT counter. Knew when Roode went for the rolling DDTs that it was going to be countered, which sucked that the first one had to get blown off but it didn't detract from things at least. Cool win for Drew. Never been very impressed with Adam Cole in the ring, so for me it feels like a step down from Roode, but I'll give it a chance and see how it goes.

Also love the live music performances for the intro and Alestair's entrance. Great little touch that adds an extra special feel.

• Like 1

Just here to gush about Asuka/Moon. Didn't love their first match either, but this was put together so well. All phases had stories to tell and it hit a special crescendo after the Eclipse nearfall. I also think it's a North American MOTYC. Asuka should crash Summerslam and vacate, enter the main roster with her win streak intact, let the new signees from the MYC establish a new pecking order.

• Like 2

Also, thought the commentary was unbearable tonight. Mauro saying "McIntyre calls this the Celtic Cross" must have come as news to Sheamus, and throwing constant references to bad Jay-Z songs and Don Frye made me remember why I hadn't missed him. The worst was when JR came out for the Black match and I mistakenly thought "Well at least this means Mauro will fuck off"... 

Almas/Gargano was a great opener with the crowd loving every moment.

Tag Titles match was a good brawl though it felt odd with the crowd having no idea who to actually cheer for until Young and Nikki started trying to bring them behind them.

Asuka/Ember was fantastic. Easily the best match I have seen from Ember in WWE and definitely the best I have seen from Asuka anywhere. Not sure where they go from here. Feels like Asuka pretty much has to be called up as I can't see either of the MYC finalist taking the Women's belt from her. At the same time I don't see it going well for Asuka on either main show. Loved the match, but I kind of feel Ember should have won.

Roode/Drew and Itami/Black did little for me.

Loved three of the matches with one being an easy MOTYC so this was a great show for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Just here to gush about Asuka/Moon. Didn't love their first match either, but this was put together so well. All phases had stories to tell and it hit a special crescendo after the Eclipse nearfall. I also think it's a North American MOTYC. Asuka should crash Summerslam and vacate, enter the main roster with her win streak intact, let the new signees from the MYC establish a new pecking order.

The last three minutes or so were so fucking perfect.  Moon hitting the Eclipse, starting to celebrate while she pins her only to lose her shit when Asuka kicks out to Asuka having a look of fear that she might be about to lose right before Ember superkicks her.  Both came out of this so much stronger and Asuka added an extra layer as the overconfident asskicker who will stoop low if she fears she's about to lose.  You guys are starting to convince me, this might be at least the best WWE match of the year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

The ROH invasion looked ridiculous.

Three tiny 205 live guys who turned up wearing the most Indyrific wardrobe possible, just put waste to six of the biggest guys on the roster.

I don't understand it at all. I hope they get completely WCW'd.

Thankfully Vince isn't booking nxt, so that won't be happening. I'm super excited for ReDRagon and Adam Cole BAYBAY going after the titles. I hope it's not a full on invasion angle, but more that they dominated ROH, dominated NJPW, and now they're here to dominate nxt. They just happen to have worked the same places previously and have decided the quickest way to get to the top is to stay aligned.

If they're booked like killers, they'll look like killers. I have no issue with their size. Gargano and Ciampa looked more than credible against the AoP, did they not?

I love Sanity winning the titles and it's nice that Alexander Wolfe got to shine in the match.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nofuture said:

So with Bryan and Angle there "scouting talent", I'm wondering if the rumored next talent "shake up" is going to be more NXT-centric.

I could see the AoP getting called up pretty soon. 

Bobby Roode's ready for the main roster.

I think Sanity's act is ready for the main roster. I don't see them having a real long reign.

I think Asuka gets called up without losing the title. She's run through the competition and there's nothing left for her to prove.

If there was an overall theme for this damn good show it is great finishes.   something the RAW and Smackdown side has trouble with.   Gargano being distracted by a DIY shirt,  the craziness of Nikki Storm and that table gore to make it 2 on 1,  the last 3 or 4 minutes of the Asuka vs Ember Moon match.  Just some great stuff.   

For all the people screaming about how Cole and ReDragon look like geeks because they don't fit some 1987 standard,  as long as they stay in NXT they will be fine.   Like others have said, the same people who thought Gargano and Ciampa would be nothing in NXT so far have proven wrong too.     The idea that Cole can't have a great match with a Drew McIntyre or Roderick Strong or Cassius Ohno is just stupid. 

Ever think you would be in a wrestling world where 2 of the 3 members of 3MB are WWE world champions

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thankfully Vince isn't booking nxt, so that won't be happening. I'm super excited for ReDRagon and Adam Cole BAYBAY going after the titles. I hope it's not a full on invasion angle, but more that they dominated ROH, dominated NJPW, and now they're here to dominate nxt. They just happen to have worked the same places previously and have decided the quickest way to get to the top is to stay aligned.

If they're booked like killers, they'll look like killers. I have no issue with their size. Gargano and Ciampa looked more than credible against the AoP, did they not?

I love Sanity winning the titles and it's nice that Alexander Wolfe got to shine in the match.

I have no problem with them being booked in-ring dominant for the same reasons you listed.

But the idea of having guys who look like the security guards being tossed around in a Raw main event angle coming in and just destroying guys that look and have been built to be unstoppable monsters with Eliminators spots from 1997, it's the most surreal unWWE thing theyve ever done.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

My favorite was the guy behind me on my left taking credit for the crowd chanting "Sweet" after the 2 count.  

Second favorite was the guy behind me on my right announcing he was cheering for whoever was taller, because they were obviously winning.

I need to talk to Ray about getting access to the Twitter account... I had some thoughts.  

Oh yeah, the show itself was good too.

13 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I have no problem with them being booked in-ring dominant for the same reasons you listed.

But the idea of having guys who look like the security guards being tossed around in a Raw main event angle coming in and just destroying guys that look and have been built to be unstoppable monsters with Eliminators spots from 1997, it's the most surreal unWWE thing theyve ever done.

They jumped guys who had just been in tough hard fought matches.

And they double / treble-teamed all of them. 

It's not like they took out fresh guys. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nofuture said:

So with Bryan and Angle there "scouting talent", I'm wondering if the rumored next talent "shake up" is going to be more NXT-centric.

The send off the crowd gave Ember after her match made it seem like it was her finale.

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder if they're going to try and recruit Roddy and start a "is he going to join up or not" angle.

If we're going to get an invasion angle, I would love some involvement from Gabe Sapolsky as the brains behind trying to get former ROH & Evolve wrestlers into nxt. IMO, he did the best invasion angle in American wrestling, with CZW doing nothing to add to the angle on their shows.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If we're going to get an invasion angle, I would love some involvement from Gabe Sapolsky as the brains behind trying to get former ROH & Evolve wrestlers into nxt. IMO, he did the best invasion angle in American wrestling, with CZW doing nothing to add to the angle on their shows. ROH vs. CZW is easily in the top 5 of best angles ROH Gabe has ever done.

Well Zandig did say Fuck a lot about that's about it.