DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] 7/26/17

RIPPA

So really they just needed to put Itami in there with a guy who he wasn't afraid to kick the shit out of and everything will be fine.  

Really like the progression of Velveteen Dream where he's almost all business once the bell rings.  He continues to impress in just about every match he's in.  

Oh and Nikki really needs to destroy Ellering during one of these AoP/Sanity standoffs and steal the belts.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I think that was the Itami we were waiting for. Really liked how he made chopping down the bigger Ohno look like a lot of work. The little things like how much effort he had to put into the Irish whip reversal count for so much. Good selling by Ohno at the end too.

Sanity/AoP brawl was fun too. I'm a bit surprised they had AoP clean house like that, since Sanity seems like a huge dog in that match-up.

I'm not digging The Velveteen Dream at all. Most of his work comes across as generic performance center heel stuff and that elbow drop is sloppy as fuck (how do you hit a guy in the side of the head???). He sounded shaky on his promo too. He's supposed to be this really smooth guy with a lot of swagger, but nothing about him in or out of the ring suggests that's actually the case.

I'm so glad the crowd is catching on to Velveteen Dream. He's showing his versatility in the ring and his character work is on the verge of a huge breakout. (Bononi got hit on the side of his head because he raised himself up too much and was actually partly turned too... really dig the guy thou, he's super generic right now but incredibly athletic for a big guy.)

Drew McIntyre gets the MVP of the show for that main event smoking hot babyface promo; he ain't gonna be in NXT for long.

• Like 2

Tapa getting dispatched so easily seems like a bit of a waste, but it does put Ember over strong. Still not feeling her taking the belt of Asuka though.

Itami vs McIntyre for the NXT title would be all kinds of fun. Also dick heel Itami vs Black.

Speaking of Drew...that promo was a bit rah rah cliche, but man it worked. Not sure if they are ready to pull the trigger on him, but it seems like it's just a matter of time.

Sanity/AOP was a nice tease. Fully agreed on Nikki going after Ellering. He could then bring in Rachel as an equalizer, but I don't think they want to have her connected with her dad as a manager. 

Velveteen Dream is going to be over big as a face at full sail sooner than later, but seems like pure death for a main roster gimmick.

I am glad Ranallo is back an all, but man his music and pop culture references are "your dad trying to sound cool around your friends" level of cringy awful. 

30 minutes ago, quackhell said:

I am glad Ranallo is back an all, but man his music and pop culture references are "your dad trying to sound cool around your friends" level of cringy awful. 

That Nicki Minaj reference during Ember's match was friggin' awful.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you can fire someone for terrible references or calls than calling a kick to the groin "a shot below the southern hemisphere" or some bullshit like that is it.

In watching a number of episodes catching up, I find it interesting that in NXT the throat slash is not something that gets you fired.  At least I figure they aren't fired.  I assume they will tell people to get rid of that in the future.