DVDVR Message Board

Popitekus, Angel Azteca y Steve Nelson vs. Emilio Charles Jr., Gran Markus Jr. y Masakre (6/9/89)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Another fun but lesser tag.  Some of the Masakre/Azteca stuff in the first fall was cool and I like how the rudos suddenly descended on the technicos, beating them down outside the ring to end it featuring a great posting and slide through drop kick.  Popitekus gets revenge in short order for the second fall, coming down on Masakre with a sitting senton for the win and Masakre flails about in panic.  Third fall is good stuff with Popitekus hitting a cross body on Masakre that Masakre sells beautifully, a nice Azteca dive and Steve Nelson finishing it with a really nasty spinebuster followed by a fishermans suplex.  Definitely bottom half but a good match.

• 2 weeks later...

The Charles vs Nelson matwork was interesting but kind of dry. Masakre was pretty great in this, especially when selling for Popitekus or working with Angel Azteca. Azteca hits a fantastic tope with so much momentum that he bounces off of Masakre and lands 10 feet away. The Popitekus vs Gran Markus stuff was fun again but was based more around tecnico vs rudo stuff as opposed to the athletic exchanges of the last match. I think I'd like to see them in a singles match. The second two falls were pretty fast. This was nothing special but it had some entertaining moments.

• 4 weeks later...

I am shocked. I expected Steve Nelson (a big blonde juiced-up white kid) to have no place in the match and here he is trading holds with Emilio Charles Jr. on the mat and it actually looks good instead of a fish out of water, like I thought it might. He also admirably stacks up against Markus until Masakre kicks him in the teeth and, not soon after, the rudos finally decide to pounce. Their sudden decision to whoop some ass is pretty great. Masakre slaps the piss out of Nelson to emphasize him getting pinned and moments later Popi and then Azteca eat the boards. It's a fantastic little bit of sudden rudo dominance. Popitekus gets flash pins over Markus and Masakre to cement segunda caida which is killer, then gets a great control segment that would be your current Mark Henry tag part, but with high spots. Masakre is channeling his former teammate Satanico in his smugness and selling which is fantastic. Then we get a grand finish with some big moves and I am pleased. See, a little hate will add some heat to your boring random trios, you just got to let it in baby.

• 10 months later...

Yeah, that rudo attack was sudden and effective in the first fall.  Azteca takes a posting very well at the end of the first fall.  Popitekus does end the second fall in a dominant fashion.  Nelson's finishing sequence to take the third fall, along with Azteca's big dive, was nice.  I liked the quick, decisive endings to falls 2 and 3.  Nelson was used judiciously but was fun to watch.  This was kind of the Popitekus show, but Charles was impressive as well, and Markus and Mascare held their own.  This should barely get into my top half, but not very far up at all.

• 1 month later...

I liked this one a lot and Popitekus continues to sneak up my list of favorite guys on this set. Loved Popitekus' quick domination of the 2nd fall and the hot finish. This probably won't go to high above mid-range for me but definitely a fun trios match that does some different things to stand out from the trios pack.