DVDVR Message Board

SDL is AJ The Thief - 7/25/2017

Dolfan in NYC

Maybe it's because Jericho has been gone for a while but I got a real kick out of the opening segment.  His line about beating up the guy in the grocery store made me laugh a lot more than it probably should have.  The match itself was really good, much better than AJ/Owens from Battleground.

Much like his matches with Ziggler, Nak had a better match against Corbin in the SD followup to a ppv match than at the ppv itself.  Cena going after the world title was obvious, but the match next week gives me some small hope we won't have to endure that at Summerslam.

The lack of a Fashion Police segment was disheartening.

I assume Corbin interferes and the match never happens and is turned into Jinder/Corbin vs Cena/Nakamura with Nakamura walking out on Cena. He'll win anyway.

Shane will probably win clean in a squash; then, Owens is fired the next day for a Wellness Violation. "He's obviously not well, look at his gut!" says Shane. He will then be shipped back to NXT.

Nakamura vs. Corbin was much better than the Battleground match.

I dug the Cena/Jinder segment. Cena vs. Nakamura happening on SDL just feels weird as fuck. That is easily a big four ppv match at minimum. The lack of reaction was heartrending.

I don't mind Shane vs. KO as long as its a brawl of some sorts.  I don't trust KO to lead Shane to a good normal match like AJ.

No Rusev or Fashion Police just makes me sad.

Cena/Nakamura is... interesting. It's the guy Nakamura has said he most wants to work with, and frankly, New Japan and WWE main event style have so overlapped at this point that it should be a comfortable fit. So maybe it's the start of seeing THAT Nakamura, at least somewhat regularly. 

There's a more pessimistic argument to be made too, though: they're just rushing this out now before any more shine comes off of him. Pop a number, move on.

15 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Cena/Nakamura is... interesting. It's the guy Nakamura has said he most wants to work with, and frankly, New Japan and WWE main event style have so overlapped at this point that it should be a comfortable fit. So maybe it's the start of seeing THAT Nakamura, at least somewhat regularly. 

There's a more pessimistic argument to be made too, though: they're just rushing this out now before any more shine comes off of him. Pop a number, move on.

What number? Subscriptions? Puro fans that don't have the network will sign up for a free 30 days just to see Cena vs Nak?

10 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I love all this talk about Shane destroying KO at SummerSlam as if that's what he does. Shane hasn't won a singles match since 2006.

Was that against Shawn Michaels on Saturday Night Main Event?

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Fun match they are really stacking next week's smackdown.   Cena vs. Nakamura sounds more like a match that could have headlined SummerSlam.  

But they are doing it to see who faces Jinder Mahal. Who gives a shit who Jinder Mahal faces if its not a firing squad. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What number? Subscriptions? Puro fans that don't have the network will sign up for a free 30 days just to see Cena vs Nak?

It's on smackdown, so the idea, I guess, is that more people might tune in. Puro fans, Cena fans, the idly curious, whatever. Sometimes they seem to care about individual shows halting a downward ratings trajectory--or improving a stagnant one--and with AJ/Owens added too, I'm guessing this might be one of those times.

Look, most of us watched Battleground despite just about the biggest couldn't-draw-flies-if-it-was-rolled-in-honey-and-dogshit main event ever. WWE is cluing into PPV numbers being less important than people not letting their subscriptions lapse. The best way to keep us shelling out our 9.99/month is to make the content we all watch not suck. 

• Like 2

My fantasy booking for Cena v Nakamura - 

Open the show with Owens complaining. Sami comes out. Kanellis out to complain. Dillinger makes a save. Bryan makes a Tag Team match for later tonight.

We get a spot promoting the Highlight Reel with guest star AJ Styles.

Cena v Nakamura starts at the top of the hour. It's the "mid show" main event BUT it goes for the full hour and closes the show a few minutes before the end. They go all out, WrestleMania, bomb finishes main event style. Rip Okada v Omega with Nakamura never being able to land the Kinshasa.

The first half of the show builds and acts normally, present like this is going to be a 15 minute match, maybe with some interference. Then when these guys end up having to try and kill each other it grows into something more than a throw away TV match.

The tag match gets bumped. Highlight Reel gets bumped. Maybe bump the Fashion Files or an advertised women's match or something.

I feel like they need to present this match in a vastly different way than anything they have had for a while. This should end up being a call back to the Cena v Michaels match from London. If this is a regular Smackdown Main Event match, and Cena goes over because there is a ref bump and Baron Corbin intereferes, then it will (rightfully) get shit on.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

by the way, they could always start a new team with Mike and Aiden as the Drama Kingdom.

I would really enjoy a Bennett-Kanellis/Aiden English tag team. Bennett works so much better as a tag guy. It would be at least one more heel team since the Colons are MIA. I also wouldn't mind seeing Sami and Dillinger team more often.