DVDVR Message Board

NFL PRESEASON 2017

RIPPA

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

John Harbaugh has said a couple times that Kaepernick is still under consideration for the Ravens. I'd be fine with picking him up, Flacco is increasingly fragile and I'd trust Kaepernick a thousand times before I trust Mallet once.

"But Mallet's tall and a statue, surely he can outplay the man with an afro." - Some Baltimore fan who's scared to go there on local radio.

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

"But Mallet's tall and a statue, surely he can outplay the man with an afro." - Some Baltimore fan who's scared to go there on local radio.

The comments on the Ravens FB page are one giant tire fire right now.

23 minutes ago, Sasha said:

The comments on the Ravens FB page are one giant tire fire right now.

Baltimore is one of the strangest places on the plane when it comes to race relations.  Baltimore is overwhelmingly black, except the people who claim to be from Baltimore are overwhelmingly white.  I was listening to Washington DC radio before a Washington vs. Baltimore preseason football game.  They had callers call in trying to talk in a Baltimore accent.  Every single white person who called in speaking in a "Baltimore" accent, and were praised by the hosts.  The crazy thing is that the hosts dismissed all of the black people who called in an actual Baltimore accent.  The "Baltimore" accent is indicative of all the rural/suburban areas around the city, but no one actually talks like that in the city.  It is kind of like the New Orleans accent in relation to the rural Lousiana accent.  I think Baltimore would embrace Kaepernick, but "Baltimore" is a whole different story.  Those two groups of people are vastly different in a way that really matters.

• Like 1

So here's what I don't get if you're a Ravens fan (like me, much to my consternation with this discussion)... Flacco's making more money than any other QB in the NFL (I think he's at $24.5 million this year). He's been injured a bunch of times, heck he's injured now. Maybe the concern is salary cap, if Kaepernick wants starter money. But considering Mallett quit during Friday's scrimmages after throwing at least five interceptions during a scrimmage, what's your option? Is it really better to put Mallett under center and potentially tank the year all so they don't sign a guy who expressed his political opinions?

I mean, people can say they don't want the "distraction", but you're playing in the goddamned NFL, where distraction is practically a requirement.

I can think of only three acceptable reasons not to sign Kaep: 1) if he wants to much money, 2) if he wants a chance to compete and you have an established starter, or 3) you have a shaky starter and don't want a QB controversy. I would think Baltimore MIGHT fit into number 3 but who the hell knows. . . 

There are so many jokes to be said about this, but they should be left to actual fans to write for full effect. And if you want to get really evil with it, there's a lot of things to work with.

So Alex Marvez is reporting that new Chargers HC isn't letting Philip Rivers or Antonio Gates attend LT's HOF induction. (It is common practice for teams to allow players to go to HOF teammates inductions. See the Cards letting Larry Fitzgerald go for Kurt Warner)

Gates has already said he is probably still gonna go and the team can fine him.

so basically Anthony Lynn really knows how not to win over the locker room

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So Alex Marvez is reporting that new Chargers HC isn't letting Philip Rivers or Antonio Gates attend LT's HOF induction. (It is common practice for teams to allow players to go to HOF teammates inductions. See the Cards letting Larry Fitzgerald go for Kurt Warner)

Gates has already said he is probably still gonna go and the team can fine him.

so basically Anthony Lynn really knows how not to win over the locker room

So what you are saying is that it is highly unlikely Lynn will still be around when they move to the new stadium in Inglewood right?

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 6:18 PM, RIPPA said:

It's okay guys - the Ravens owner now says they are considering signing RG3

We truly are in hell.

That article about how much the Browns suck was both amusing and enlightening. I had no idea things were so keystone kops over there, for nearly 20 years now. 

I was spoiled growing up in Dallas. The Cowboys, Mavs, and Stars were all perennial champs or contenders. The Rangers weren't (when I lived there), but they never sucked

Ray Lewis To Colin Kaepernick: "What You Do Off The Field, Don’t Let Too Many People Know"

"Just your defense lawyer, but that's it, okay?"

"Or if it's performative charity functions or bullshit preaching, that's cool, too."

"Or 'support our troops' style glurge, that's fine."

"Okay, basically anything except for the one specific thing you're protesting is a-ok."

-Ravens fan for whom Lewis' shtick was old long before he retired

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Ray Lewis To Colin Kaepernick: "What You Do Off The Field, Don’t Let Too Many People Know"

"Just your defense lawyer, but that's it, okay?"

"Or if it's performative charity functions or bullshit preaching, that's cool, too."

"Or 'support our troops' style glurge, that's fine."

"Okay, basically anything except for the one specific thing you're protesting is a-ok."

-Ravens fan for whom Lewis' shtick was old long before he retired

Ray Lewis' advice is to keep your activism private.  My advice to Ray, keep your stupidity private.  Honestly, how can you be a private activist?  I see problems in this world, but instead of addressing them, I'm just going to keep them to myself.  That is going to solve it.  How the fuck do we live in a world where Ray Lewis is someone we take seriously?

• Like 4

I've never taken him seriously. He's a joke and a fraud. Stick him next to Reggie White who I'm supposed to revere for playing for the Packers, but I know full well he was a piece of shit. This has nothing to do with being religious in either case. Same with Brett Favre, I wasn't a huge drop dead fan of his when he left. I figured it was time for him to go before then already. And with how he was with the Jets and all the garbage with the Vikings, but mostly the Jets off-field shit, I couldn't care less about him.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Ray Lewis' advice is to keep your activism private.  My advice to Ray, keep your stupidity private.  Honestly, how can you be a private activist?  I see problems in this world, but instead of addressing them, I'm just going to keep them to myself.  That is going to solve it.  How the fuck do we live in a world where Ray Lewis is someone we take seriously?

Everything he does is for show.  You genuinely want to give a guy some advice?  Call him.  Doing it in public via Twitter video is just performative bullshit. 

Rams defensive lineman Dominique Easley has suffered another a torn ACL, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. He will be out for the 2017 season and placed on injured reserve.