DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] 7/19/17 TV SHOW

RIPPA

Solid show.  I hope we haven't seen the end of Lorcan/Burch as they need a longer match to beat the piss out of eachother.

Cezar Bononi is an impressive specimen.  Is he strictly a PC guy or does he have a larger body of work?

3 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Solid show.  I hope we haven't seen the end of Lorcan/Burch as they need a longer match to beat the piss out of eachother.

Seeing as how after the match they shook hands and then agreed to have another match against each other, I'd say we'll be seeing it again.

Drew McIntyre could just be put on Raw chasing the Universal title and not look out of place.  In fact, the hell with it, have Brock put him over on his way out.  Reveal him as Kurt Angle's long lost Scottish cousin or something.

That was a really good Ruby/Ember match.  Their styles mesh really well.

And man, I'm not sure if I can handle the sheer manliness of another Burch/Lorcan match.  Burch's nose starts gushing blood from a diving european uppercut and THEN Lorcan starts slapping the shit out of him.  Brutal.  Maybe mutual respect causes them to start teaming up after the next match?

• Like 3

Really good episode all around.

Ruby/Ember was a good showcase match for both of them.

Burch/Lorcan should be a fun series.

I hope Almas gets a push with Thea Trinidad pushing his buttons. He'd be a great heel challenger for McIntyre down the road.

The main event was really good with a very inspired finishing run, shame about the dead crowd.

Probably the best episode of NXT this year.

Ember Moon vs. Ruby Riot: hands down the best match both have had in NXT. It was so good, I thought it was a UK match. Get Asuka out of the picture ASAP, because I want these gals to have more opportunities to shine and let their characters breath.

Lars & Lorcan maybe a dream tag team but Lars/Lorcan/Burch would be a scary scary stable.

Jose vs. Cezar Bononi: had low expectations coming in but was pleasantly surprised. Solid match for two relatively green guys. Bononi is freakin athletic.

Drew McIntyre vs. Killian Dane: damn, this was a fun match. Slow start with a great build.

And just when I thought "wow, the crowd reminds me of classic NXT, maybe they've turn a new leaf" then they proceeded to sit on their hands for the main.

EDIT: the reaction to Dain powering past the 1st finisher was priceless (ref's especially).

That 1 count on the Future Shock was a pretty holy shit moment.

And yeah, get Drew on Raw already. He's got the look, he's killer in the ring, good on the mic... Push him to the Moon.

• Like 1

I heard Lorcan/Burch was bonkers yet wasn't prepared for how awesome it would be.  My wife and I loved the everloving shit out of this.  I'm not a fan of the "Fight Forever!" chant, but if there's a matchup that deserves it it's these two.  Only thing better would be them teaming up as the antidote for AOP.  Oh, the wondrous possibilities!

And Ember/Ruby was a great match between them that helped Ruby a ton.  She looked great even in defeat and has made herself more of a contender due to this match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turk128 said:

Ember Moon vs. Ruby Riot: hands down the best match both have had in NXT. It was so good, I thought it was a UK match. Get Asuka out of the picture ASAP, because I want these gals to have more opportunities to shine and let their characters breath.

It's long since time Asuka moved up.  She's the longest reigning champion in all of WWE - almost triple the time as the next longest reigning champ (AOP). Hopefully Ember takes the title at Brooklyn 3, and Asuka can go murder Naomi and/or Carmella the next night. 

McIntyre was great, I'm finally seeing what everyone thought they had in him 7-8 years ago.  Dain no selling TWO finishers was so well built up, it didn't look hokey, it looked terrifying. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I heard Lorcan/Burch was bonkers yet wasn't prepared for how awesome it would be.  My wife and I loved the everloving shit out of this.  I'm not a fan of the "Fight Forever!" chant, but if there's a matchup that deserves it it's these two.  Only thing better would be them teaming up as the antidote for AOP.  Oh, the wondrous possibilities!

They could just copy the Sheamus/Cesaro angle and we could have both.

• Like 2

I guess it's worth repeating, but damn, Dain moves so well in the ring for a guy that big and with his body type. He's agile as hell. Who knew that in 2017 WWE would have a wealth of agile big dudes. He's another guy that should get moved up soon. Sanity is a great gimmick and I could see it doing well on a show like SDL.

BTW, where has EY been? I heard him on a podcast before that he regularly winds up needing surgery for polyps on his vocal chords. Is it something like that again or an injury?

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's long since time Asuka moved up.  She's the longest reigning champion in all of WWE - almost triple the time as the next longest reigning champ (AOP). Hopefully Ember takes the title at Brooklyn 3, and Asuka can go murder Naomi and/or Carmella the next night. 

Asuka murderizing whomever wins the Smackdown women's title match at SummerSlam (works best if it's Becky Lynch, but murderizing Naomi would be good too), leading to Carmella and Hogsworth skipping down the aisle to steal the championship would be amazing.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, where has EY been? I heard him on a podcast before that he regularly winds up needing surgery for polyps on his vocal chords. Is it something like that again or an injury?

He missed the most recent tapings due to a death in the family.

Ember/Ruby was a little over choreographed at times, but still a really good match. I'm still not sold on Ember as an overall act, and have no desire to see her unseat Asuka. I wouldn't mind seeing how she works as a heel after those two vicious strikes she threw towards the end of the match.

No Way Jose vs Almas yeah who cares. I could buy Burch as a tough mofo more if he wasn't tapping out.

Drew Mac made Dain look kinda small lol. I think Drew will have to turn heel eventually as he's pretty much the antithesis of most NXT babyfaces.

Ruby/Ember felt like a match they have been fine turning at house shows and they both got to look really good.

Burch and Lorcan just beat the crap out of each other and I am a-okay with that. Put me as solidly in the camp of the next match leading to them teaming up and going after the AOP.

Agreed on all the love for Ruby/Ember. Thought Ruby looked fantastic and Ember her best in NXT thus far. Still unsure of Ember beating Asuka but I think this helped make it a bit more easy to accept.

Dug the big fight feel in the entrances for Drew/Dain, solid main event.

18 hours ago, JCM said:

No Way Jose vs Almas yeah who cares. I could buy Burch as a tough mofo more if he wasn't tapping out.

The announcers were quick to point out how Burch tapping was a form of self-preservation.  Sounded like they're portraying him as a tough man but not stupid.  I can go with that narrative and the quick tapout didn't bother me.

Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan looked like a couple of nutty soccer hooligans having a scrap down the pub.  The palm strikes were brutal, really enjoyed that match.

Drew made Dain look like a million bucks, easily Dain's best showing, he's such a good big man.  NXT has a lot of different looking guys and gals, probably the most varied roster WWE has ever had.