DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 25: Weidman vs. Gastelum (7/22/2017) - Uniondale, NY (Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_on_FOX_25_Weidman_vs._Gastelum_Poste

UFC on Fox 25: Weidman vs. Gastelum 
July 22, 2017
Uniondale, NY (Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum)

Chris Weidman (186) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (185.5) - Weidman, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (3:45)
Dennis Bermudez (145.5) vs. Darren Elkins (145.5) - Elkins, DEC (split)
Patrick Cummins (205.5) vs. Gian Villante (206) - Cummins, DEC (split)
Jimmie Rivera (136) vs. Thomas Almeida (135) - Rivera, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Preliminary Card:
Lyman Good (170.5) vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (170.5) - Dos Santos, DEC (split)
Rafael Natal (185) vs. Eryk Anders (185.5) - Anders, KO (punch), R1 (2:54)
Ryan LaFlare (171) vs. Alex Oliveira (170.5) - Oliveira, KO (punch), R2 (1:50)
Damian Grabowski (261.5) vs. Chase Sherman (251) - Sherman, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Kyle Bochniak (145) vs. Jeremy Kennedy (145) - Kennedy, DEC (unanimous)
Brian Kelleher (135) vs. Marlon Vera (135.5) - Vera, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:18)
Timothy Johnson (264) vs. Júnior Albini (264.5) - Albini, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:51)
Shane Burgos (145) vs. Godofredo Castro (145) - Burgos, DEC (unanimous)
Chris Wade (155.5) vs. Frankie Perez (155.5) - Wade, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Júnior Albini
Performance of the Night: Alex Oliveira
Fight of the Night: Lyman Good vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos

Attendance: 11,198
Gate: $1,088,332
Rating: 2.04 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Damian Grabowski vs. Christian Colombo - Injury to Colombo 
Rafael Natal vs. Alessio Di Chirico - Injury to Di Chirico (Neck)

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wait, is Gastelum in the underdog? This all just looks like Weidman getting retired by Kelvin.

Just checked and Gastelum is the slight favorite. Weidman hasn't had a good run recently, but that's a lot of stock been putting in over beating semi retired Tim Kennedy and should be retired Vitor Belfort.

• Like 1

Odd question, were the wins over Silva not as impressive as they first appeared? The first win Silva finally got caught while fucking around. It's not like Chael grinding him out. The second win Silva broke his leg in catastrophic fashion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Odd question, were the wins over Silva not as impressive as they first appeared? The first win Silva finally got caught while fucking around. It's not like Chael grinding him out. The second win Silva broke his leg in catastrophic fashion.

I think Weidman deserves full credit for both. In the second fight, Weidman had a pretty dominant first round on par if not better with what Chael was able to do with Anderson.

Now, you can question Weidman's victory over Vitor because Vitor was a completely different fighter when he returned from that hiatus to finally get that title shot. He wasn't facing a fighter who had any sort of chance against himself outside of the first 30-45 seconds.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Weidman deserves full credit for both. In the second fight, Weidman had a pretty dominant first round on par if not better with what Chael was able to do with Anderson.

Now, you can question Weidman's victory over Vitor because Vitor was a completely different fighter when he returned from that hiatus to finally get that title shot. He wasn't facing a fighter who had any sort of chance against himself outside of the first 30-45 seconds.

@Elsalvajeloco nailed what I was going to say particularly about the two Silva vs. Weidman fights. A win is a win no matter the circumstances. I watched the first fight live and holy shit it was something seeing Silva's karma for taunting opposition. Chris bounced Anderson's head like a fucking basketball.

With his back against the wall, I'm thinking Weidman decides to have a more workman like strategy of trying to wrestle Gastelum and keep him against the cage. The division has changed a bit since Weidman's ascent. He longer enjoys the advantage of being the most well rounded fighter in the division, and he can't rely on his chin to hold him steady against other fighters who can hit with power.

However, the elements of physical decline are there. Despite it being over past their prime fighters, Gastelum has looked sharp and did what he was suppose to do. I think he will have a handspeed advantage and that becomes key if he can stop Weidman's takedowns. The more you question Weidman's physical and mental state here in 2017, the more it becomes easier to favor Gastelum.

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Craig H said:

Wait, is Gastelum in the underdog? This all just looks like Weidman getting retired by Kelvin.

That wouldn't be the desired result (remember, UFC isn't like WWE in that they want the hometown guy to win like a sane organization would) so if that's the likely result booking the fight was a mistake.

For really no good reason, there is no other fighter I despise more than Weidman.  Fucker prancing around with an American flag like he did something really awesome when Anderson broke his leg.  Trying to call the "technique" he used to break Anderson's leg "the Destroyer."  Not getting the match called after taking 70+ unanswered punches from Rockhold to make it to the end of the round.  Getting his head caved in by Yoel Romero.  Faking like he was hurt to get a DQ win from an illegal knee, only to have the knee not be illegal and losing because he was acting like he was hurt. 

fuck that guy.

Nevermind I hate Cyborg more. 

Shane Burgos looked good against Godofredo Pepey. He has solid boxing, fast hands, and is a pretty decent grappler. He is ready for a tougher look at featherweight.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

That wouldn't be the desired result (remember, UFC isn't like WWE in that they want the hometown guy to win like a sane organization would) so if that's the likely result booking the fight was a mistake.

I have no idea why you're reminding me that UFC isn't like WWE...

Regarding why you make the fight, we discussed that back when it was made. I think my reply at that time was RIP Weidman or something to that effect.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I have no idea why you're reminding me that UFC isn't like WWE...

Regarding why you make the fight, we discussed that back when it was made. I think my reply at that time was RIP Weidman or something to that effect.

Because UFC usually doesn't book fights with the expectation that the hometown guy gets destroyed. That's why it makes no sense that they would book a giant mismatch.