DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Good.

Vicious KTFO by Dillian Whyte to Lucas Browne last weekend.

On the HBO broadcast of the fight, Max Kellerman brought up the fact that Daniel Cormier beat up Lucas Browne in MMA to the point where he switched to boxing.

But yeah, that fight with Whyte was an utter mismatch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

On the HBO broadcast of the fight, Max Kellerman brought up the fact that Daniel Cormier beat up Lucas Browne in MMA to the point where he switched to boxing.

But yeah, that fight with Whyte was an utter mismatch.

Browne had no gameplan, unless it was to walk into every combination Whyte threw.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Browne had no gameplan, unless it was to walk into every combination Whyte threw.

I hadn't seen a ton of Browne before this (apparently he was avg. just a fight a year due to various failed drug tests), but the clips they showed prior to the walkouts was Toughman contest-ish. Not a very good sign.

joshua-parker.jpg

Showtime Championship Boxing: Joshua vs. Parker 
March 31, 2018
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom (Principality Stadium)

WBA Super World/IBF/WBO Heavyweight Championship: Anthony Joshua © (242.25) vs. Joseph Parker © (236.25) - Joshua, DEC (unanimous)
- WBA Super World (Joshua: second defense)
-  IBF (Joshua: fifth defense)
- WBO (Parker: third defense)

Alexander Povetkin (229) vs. David Price (256.25) - Povetkin, KO (left hook), R5 
WBA Super World Bantamweight Championship: Ryan Burnett © (117.25) vs. Yonfrez Parejo (117) (first defense) - Burnett, DEC (unanimous)
Josh Kelly (146.25) vs. Carlos Molina (145.25) - Kelly, DEC (unanimous)
Joe Cordina (134.25) vs. Hakim Ben Ali (134.25) - Cordina, TKO (referee stoppage), R3
Morgan Jones (167.25) vs. Mose Auimatagi Jr. (166.25) - Auimatagi Jr., TKO (referee stoppage), R6
Anthony Crolla (136.25) vs. Edson Ramirez (136.5) - Crolla, DEC (unanimous)
Sean McGoldrick (122.25) vs. Rick Little (117.75) - 
Joshua Bautasi (178.25) vs. Bartlomiej Grafka (174.5) - Buatasi, DEC (points)

Attendance:

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

That Povetkin punch against Price was Henderson/Bisping levels of unprotected shots to the face. Brutal.

For reference:

When David Price gets knocked out, he gets knocked out.

• Like 1

Meh fight this weekend but Joshua did what he had to do to win.  Parker much as I figured lacks a lot as a fighter.  Sounds like the Joshua camp is keen on Fury next which also wont be a great fight but will be huge business.  I know the push is on now for Joshua-Wilder but AJ looks like a guy that needs some more fights.  Looked way too tentative in there 

3 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Meh fight this weekend but Joshua did what he had to do to win.  Parker much as I figured lacks a lot as a fighter.  Sounds like the Joshua camp is keen on Fury next which also wont be a great fight but will be huge business.  I know the push is on now for Joshua-Wilder but AJ looks like a guy that needs some more fights.  Looked way too tentative in there 

Part of me thinks this is what Joshua is. I don't know if it's just my TV or Parker really was the lightest of his career but Joshua looked a full weight class bigger than Parker. It looked like a mammoth heavyweight versus a slightly above average sized cruiserweight. There is only so much you can do when you are built like that. As much as people give Wilder shit about being sloppy, there is a real limitation of how much finesse someone like Anthony Joshua can have. Joseph Parker really didn't do much and when he did, he landed because Joshua is such a big target and kinda falls into position to be hit. Hence, why Joshua was clinching here and there.

Unless you're Mike Tyson undersized at 5'11" - 215 to 220 lbs, there is a reason we don't see high level heavyweight boxers who look like an adonis. I think Joshua is a good boxer, but power wise, he is a boxer puncher at best. Yeah, he can look like a beast against stiffs. However, anyone with a modicum of athleticism and toughness is going to go rounds with him. I don't think the Parker bout exposed him as much as it told a story people should already know about AJ.  Riddick Bowe was 6'5" but an in shape, young Bowe moved better than AJ because he was 15-20 pounds lighter. If you don't throw punches at AJ, he will plod forward and jab/feint/jab/right until you do. For the people who thought the Klitschko era was over and celebrated, Joshua is going to exploit that Klitschko formula to death unless pushed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Meltzer sure is determined to say that it's from eating tainted meat, so perhaps that plays into it.

Canelo had trace amounts which was consistent with most native Mexican fighters who fail for clenbuterol. Juxtapose that with Francisco Rivera, who lives in Orange County, who tested positive for a higher amount of clenbuterol and then went across the border to purchase Mexican beef after the fact only to get caught by an independent third party during the arbitration process for forging documents like they wouldn't have receipts of everything.

Yeah, it's the trace amount of it that seems pretty convincing. With Canelo's wealth, he should probably be importing his beef after the first time he had clenbuterol in his system, but whatever. I was looking forward to the fight but I imagine we'll see it later this year. 

What is the testing system like in Mexico for regional/national level fighters? Does it exist? 

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, it's the trace amount of it that seems pretty convincing. With Canelo's wealth, he should probably be importing his beef after the first time he had clenbuterol in his system, but whatever. I was looking forward to the fight but I imagine we'll see it later this year. 

What is the testing system like in Mexico for regional/national level fighters? Does it exist? 

Outside the WBC, which is based in Mexico, doing its own testing for regional and world title fights I doubt it exists outside of the most notable fights. For example, Carlos Cuadras just got "suspended" (basically removed from their rankings and whatnot) by the WBC for not taking a drug test. If you remember when I was talking about commentary in either this thread or the MMA talk thread, Cuadras is the guy in his last fight who came with a boatload of bacne which Jim Lampley brought up as a possible sign of PED usage. Cuadras fights mostly in Mexico and periodically will fight in the states on a SuperFly card put on by HBO and recently made a trainer change and went to train with Abel Sanchez in Big Bear.  I mean with Canelo, he starts his camp in Guadalajara and then moves his training to a private gym in San Diego. Since most of the top Mexican fighters usually fight for either a regional WBC belt, a made one like a Silver/Diamond belt, or an actual championship, it would be tougher to avoid drug testing since the alphabet orgs do enforce some testing. However, if it is not VADA or USADA, it's basically the same testing the commissions in the states employ that probably ain't that hard to beat. However, you do have random Mexican fighters fail in Cali or Nevada. Like you will see these random cab drivers and journeymen w/ barely above .500 records from Mexico show up on a commission meeting agenda for failing a pre or post fight drug test and they were just brought in to lose off TV to an in house prospect in California or a card in Vegas. So to me, the big names will find a way to pass the the test and everyone below the level will fail if they are on something.

Based on how Russia has treated the meldonium failures, I am pretty sure even if there was testing in Mexico, they would rubberstamp fights with anyone who failed for clenbuterol and make it an automatic nonissue.

• Thanks 1

Jermall Charlo just flatlined Hugo Centeno Jr. over on Showtime thus making himself the 29th current mandatory opponent for Golovkin. Jermall is a bigger name than Derevychenko but at the same time, both fight on Showtime and with PBC affiliated promoters. I don't see how this doesn't end with Golovkin losing at least one title. Both high risk opponents and Golovkin can make money on a possible trilogy with Canelo.