DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

It should be noted that in the fight that preceded Harper walking out, Jamontay Clark literally got knocked out of the ring, landed hard as hell on the uncovered floor, and then ran back as fast as he could to beat the 20 count (the amount of time a boxer has if they find themselves out of the ring).

Two things here:

1. Usually that's the end of the fight because people either pretend to be seriously injured (ex. Kermit Cintron vs. Paul Williams, Javier Fortuna vs. Adrian Granados just this past June, and two separate Bernard Hopkins fights including his retirement fight) or incapacitated for real (Hasim Rahman taking that horrific spill against Oleg Maskaev). To see Clark gallantly jump back in the ring for a fight he eventually took even more of a beating in juxtaposed against Harper walking out tells you a lot about boxing. Certainly the theater of the unexpected as Larry Merchant coined it.

2. Will Ospreay would be proud of how Clark worked the crowd with the break the 20 count spot.

• Like 2

Sucks for Ray Beltran since the whole story of his career was the sparring partner who could never win the big fight and then he eventually finally won a belt. However, the one bright side for Beltran is Jose Pedraza is the one who will embarrassed by Lomachenko in December and not him. Anyway, it was more fun watching him chase the belt as the perpetual career underdog. Anyway, it was a really good fight.

In the opening title fight, Isaac Dogboe smashed some random Japanese fighter. I saw the Top Rank logo on Dogboe's trunks so I guess they signed him after he upset the Top Rank house fighter to win his 122-lb belt. 

On 8/25/2018 at 7:31 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, if he got in that ring, looked at what he was facing, and decided "I'm not being paid nearly enough to let this monster take me apart" I can't blame him. Not joking or anything, the guy was a half a head taller, appears to be in significantly better shape, and is undefeated. I barely follow the sport at all, but Harper was gonna get knocked the fuck out, right?

But, at the same time, I get the idea of protecting it against gambling and what not.

.DOnt know if the money thing is true or not but Harper hasn't been overly active and will be interesting to see if he ever gets or takes a fight again.  Figures my wife hates boxing.  She sits down on the couch with her tea while I am watching this and says to me, "Your sport is fucking stupid you know."  Haha wrestling and boxing merge for one night in Minneapolis

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sucks for Ray Beltran since the whole story of his career was the sparring partner who could never win the big fight and then he eventually finally won a belt. However, the one bright side for Beltran is Jose Pedraza is the one who will embarrassed by Lomachenko in December and not him. Anyway, it was more fun watching him chase the belt as the perpetual career underdog. Anyway, it was a really good fight.

In the opening title fight, Isaac Dogboe smashed some random Japanese fighter. I saw the Top Rank logo on Dogboe's trunks so I guess they signed him after he upset the Top Rank house fighter to win his 122-lb belt. 

Or Ray wins the title and fails the drug test.  I dont know if he was a user to prolong his career or took something from a crooked trainer.  At least he seemed to own it and go on.  That being said the decision in the Ricky Burns fight was disgraceful 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Triple G vs. Canelo Alvarez II this weekend. I much prefer MMA to boxing but I'll soemtimes watch the big fights in the mood strikes. Three thoughts.

The fight shouldn't be happening as Canelo pissed hot twice. The "punishment" was bullshit.

The fight is happening so hopefully Triple G picks up the win he deserved last time out against Alvarez. Fuck Adelaide Bird for that God awful scorecard she gave,  10-2 to Alvarez. Triple G now has a draw when it should be a perfect record.

I'm wanting Alvarez to get KTFO. Goes without saying I don't want him badly hurt as fighting is dangerous with people dying/life changing injuries.

Did you read Meltzer's thoughts on Canelo's PED issues? I felt like he was a little too dismissive but apparently it has to do with the beef in Mexico and is fairly commonplace. 

I'm fascinated in watching to see what kind of adjustments Canelo makes. He was way too passive for large stretches in the first fight but that just may be him though, especially against somebody of GGG's caliber. 

35 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Did you read Meltzer's thoughts on Canelo's PED issues? I felt like he was a little too dismissive but apparently it has to do with the beef in Mexico and is fairly commonplace. 

I'm fascinated in watching to see what kind of adjustments Canelo makes. He was way too passive for large stretches in the first fight but that just may be him though, especially against somebody of GGG's caliber. 

No, I didn't matey.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

No, I didn't matey.

From the May 8th Observer:

This is the first time since 2002 that Las Vegas will be without a major boxing match over Cinco de Mayo weekend because of the postponement of what was to be the biggest fight of the year, Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin. The fight was moved back because Alvarez tested positive for Clenbuterol and the Nevada commission was going to suspend him for six months, which they did, and they had already moved the fight. I’m very strong on the PED issue, but this entire situation was more because members of the commission weren’t educated enough on the subject. USADA, which governs the drug testing and punishment in a number of Olympic sports, as well as UFC, has routinely not suspended athletes if they are from China or Mexico and have eaten the meat and show up with trace amounts of Clenbuterol, because the meat in those countries is contaminated. Alvarez was training in Guadalajara, had small amounts of Clenbuterol in two tests, taken a few days apart, While it can’t be proven that he didn’t take it for performance enhancing purposes in training well before those two tests (I don’t know the date he was tested prior to that clean), the odds are, given he was in Mexico, that wasn’t the case. The general rule is that you are responsible for what is in your body, but that’s more for people who take supplements recklessly and not because you ate meat as part of regular meals. Besides, USADA has set the precedent in this situation. Part of the issue is the media, with some exceptions because there have been a few good articles that do understand the situation, saw it as Alvarez failed not one, but two drug tests and he’s high profile and a big star and Nevada has to take some action. More recently, Nevada had him take a hair follicle test which was to give a better indication as to whether he had taken Clenbuterol itself, and the results came in negative, but the suspension was already there and the fight was moved. The fight is still expected to take place after Alvarez’s suspension is lifted in August. The other negative is that with the suspension, to the public, Alvarez is considered a steroid cheater, and you never know with top level athletes at that level because they will have ways to beat tests, but based on evidence that we have, he doesn’t deserve that stigma

• Thanks 1

About to open a seperate Canelo/GGG II thread shortly. The discussion can continue there. In addition, that will be made into the new version of the Random Boxing Thoughts thread once this week passes. So feel free to discuss any major boxing news that breaks there just in case it happens to pop up.

• Like 1