DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

11 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Glad GGG didn't lose this payday.  Looked like he was going to price himself out.  This will be his retirement fund.  Now Billie Joe Saunders has lost his potential dance partner

I'm guessing Saunders will make a third attempt to fight Martin Murray (obviously contingent on beating Roberto Garcia next week) later this year and then wait until next year to fight the winner of the Mexican Independence Day weekend fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Trending toward Joshua vs. Povetkin as the first major boxing event on DAZN on 9/22. As an aside, Bellator announced their DAZN deal today to air the Rampage/Wand Part IV along with Mousasi/MacDonald the very next Saturday.

So if you don't like paying for combat sports content....

On 6/23/2018 at 2:43 AM, Hail Sabin said:

Hammer and Shields won to set up their 4 title fight at some point. 

Personally, I believe Shields vs. Gabriels was the best hope to see Claressa Shields in a competitive boxing match. Hanna is smaller, but she is still very muscular and can fight with the same intensity as Shields does even if she has to do it in bursts so she doesn't completely empty the tank. I applaud the commentators for not shitting on the putrid Hammer vs. Nelson fight (they did shit on the Salamov bout before that which was boring until mercifully Salamov TKO'd his opponent), but if you saw that and then watched the main event, it would be like watching Kim Couture vs. Lina Kvokov on that one Strikeforce Challengers card and then watching Joanna Jedreczyzk vs. Claudinha or Rose Namajunas. The only difference is Christina Hammer is suppose to be a reputable champion. I mean Claressa exposed that Nikki Adler hid in Germany as a titlist and was just a semi-competent fighter at best who never fought anyone. I don't see how Shields vs. Hammer turns out any different. I mean after Shields squashes Hammer...then what next? The only fight that would be entertaining would be the one she just fought and that wasn't even against a real 160 pound fighter. I think the best option would be the drop Tori Nelson completely, keep Gabriels around since she can actually fight and has some star quality especially based on her looks, and build toward a possible Shields/Braekhus bout once Claressa squashes Hammer or Braekhus/Gabriels which never happened because the former was stuck in Europe and the latter stuck in Central America/ the Caribbean. Anything else is going to be a struggle to gain my interest.

12 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Alex Saucedo vs. Leonardo Zappavigna will get FOTY talk because it was a crazy war with several rock 'em sock 'em rounds. 

Checked this out and thank you for the recommendation. Zappavigna going hard with the Dempsey roll was fucking awesome and something you don't see very often for obvious reasons.

I was also distracted early by the judge opposite the hard cam. I am weak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Pacquiao looked good but he didnt have much left in front of him.  Manny must be running out of guys to fight at this point.  Sounded like they were beating the drums of Manny vs Lomachenko during the broadcast.

Given that Top Rank hasn't had access to the other welterweights due promotional and managerial ties, it feels like Pacquiao has been running out folks to fight for the better part of six years. When they put the graphic up of the three Bradley fights before this last fight, I was just amazed that was something that actually happened. Then I instantly realize Top Rank didn't have their own homegrown welterweights to put in the ring with Pacquiao and it has always been about repairing and rehabbing his image. The problem is once the bloom is off the rose...it ain't coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of history was made... for very different reasons.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/44997688

Danny Williams, one of the few conquerors of Mike Tyson had his final fight in the ring yesterday, as they lost the WBU Heavyweight Title to Lee McAllister. This is no shame, as McAllister is a former champion himself.

Wait a second. Yes, there is some shame, as indeed McAllister was a World champion, IN THE LIGHTWEIGHT class. 

As recently as last year, McAllister fought in the 154 pound weight class.

Now I know the WBU is chicken scratch, but losing to someone who last year fought at 40+ pounds lower weight class.. Yah, I can understand why he retired.

Garcia vs. Easter was more or less another showcase for Garcia. They were pushing Spence Jr. vs. Garcia hard on the broadcast.

Haven't gotten around to watching Parker vs. Whyte, but apparently, Hearn wants Wilder vs. Whyte to happen in NYC (assuming he means Brooklyn at the Barclays Center).

On 30 July 2018 at 6:46 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Garcia vs. Easter was more or less another showcase for Garcia. They were pushing Spence Jr. vs. Garcia hard on the broadcast.

Haven't gotten around to watching Parker vs. Whyte, but apparently, Hearn wants Wilder vs. Whyte to happen in NYC (assuming he means Brooklyn at the Barclays Center).

Parker v Whyte was pretty great, on the same card Chisora v Takam was an unexpectedly great fight.  

This KO also happened on the undercard.

Nick Web KO

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

After it seem like Kovalev was regaining the momentum in the fight, Eleider Alvarez just absolutely obliterated Kovalev in the 7th round for the KO. Hot damn.

Yeah he was like I can deal with his power if it lands then that right came and changed everything. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Figures after slogging through the J'Leon Love-Peter Quillen fight, half the Devon Alexander-Andre Berto fight and the Bivol-Chilemba fights I fell asleep for a few minutes and woke up for the post fight interview.  

Because of UFC, I was only half paying attention to the main PBC on Fox. The PBC show on FS1 was half decent before Browne sleepwalking against Castillo. Kathy Duva must be pissed that they decided to swap out Browne with Eleider Alvarez just because Browne got into some hot water out the ring. The Browne that got dropped by Lenin Castillo would've got highlight reeled by Kovalev. Add on top of that, even the HBO commentary (well mostly Kellerman) couldn't even salvage Bivol looking slightly above average against Chilemba. Why in the hell would put a guy who Kovalev couldn't look good against in their with your top young prospect to build towards this big fight and the only one you have? I love Lampley on the broadcast praising Kathy Duva being a savvy promoter. Then we got one terrible fight for a co-main event and subsequently Sergey Kovalev gets decapitated and his head knocked onto the boardwalk. This is why Kathy Duva only has two or three notable fighters.

• 2 weeks later...

After being part of a Lesnar and DC type storyline shouting fest and pull apart at the weigh-ins today, Deontay Wilder is going to be ringside at Fury vs. Pianeta tomorrow at Windsor Park.

Just saw this on FS1 and don't know how to feel

But after seeing Efe Ajagba punch people in his short pro career so far, I kinda sorta understand this decision. Save yourself a traumatic brain injury.

• Like 2

Just see it on ESPN, and holy shit. It's like Money Inc walking out on a match with The Natural Disasters in 92.

I don't blame the guy, that looked way beyond mismatch just looking at the two of them, but it was damnably weird.

Jordan Hardy, FS1’s roving reporter for Friday night’s broadcast, said Harper told her he was displeased with his undisclosed purse for facing Ajagba. His purse will be withheld by the Minnesota Office of Combative Sports, and he’ll likely face a suspension and a fine.

I saw some random person on Twitter say that being DQ'd in that fashion doesn't mean your purse is necessarily withheld, but that easily can fall under fight fixing or at least be construed as that. Hence why his purse was withheld especially since the contest started and no punches were exchanged. He clearly didn't think this all the way through.

Honestly, if he got in that ring, looked at what he was facing, and decided "I'm not being paid nearly enough to let this monster take me apart" I can't blame him. Not joking or anything, the guy was a half a head taller, appears to be in significantly better shape, and is undefeated. I barely follow the sport at all, but Harper was gonna get knocked the fuck out, right?

But, at the same time, I get the idea of protecting it against gambling and what not.