DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

On 4/19/2018 at 6:59 AM, Oyaji said:

Yeah, it's the trace amount of it that seems pretty convincing. With Canelo's wealth, he should probably be importing his beef after the first time he had clenbuterol in his system, but whatever. I was looking forward to the fight but I imagine we'll see it later this year. 

What is the testing system like in Mexico for regional/national level fighters? Does it exist? 

Its becoming more of an issue now.  Years Ago Erik Morales fails 2 tests for clenbuterol before his rematch with Danny Garcia.  The USADA, State Athletic Commission, Promoters and Network all knew he failed but the fight happened anyway.  Then after he was bludgeoned in the fight and retired then he got a suspension.  Canelo should have known better but they must be cutting back at Golden Boy

On 4/21/2018 at 10:07 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Jermall Charlo just flatlined Hugo Centeno Jr. over on Showtime thus making himself the 29th current mandatory opponent for Golovkin. Jermall is a bigger name than Derevychenko but at the same time, both fight on Showtime and with PBC affiliated promoters. I don't see how this doesn't end with Golovkin losing at least one title. Both high risk opponents and Golovkin can make money on a possible trilogy with Canelo.

I feel the WBC title is as good as gone since a GGG/Charlo fight will never happen.  IBF who knows.  Lou DiBella is stomping his feet about GGG should be stripped or fight his guy.  Of course whether or not his guy deserves to be the number one contender is an argument for another day 

4 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I feel the WBC title is as good as gone since a GGG/Charlo fight will never happen.  IBF who knows.  Lou DiBella is stomping his feet about GGG should be stripped or fight his guy.  Of course whether or not his guy deserves to be the number one contender is an argument for another day 

I remember when people use to hail the IBF as the best of the alphabet orgs because they never did interim titles. Now they are doing interim belts. They had an interim title fight at 168 three weeks before Truax defended against DeGale in a rematch. I can see that happening at middleweight just to appease DiBella.

Chock full of WBC news today.  They wont strip GGG of the belt but said the winner of the rescheduled Canelo-GGG fight must fight the mandatory next.  Which makes me think it will be close again and the WBC will order a third fight.  Mikey Garcia will fight Robert Easter Jr next.  I'm not a big Easter Jr. fan but am intrigued on seeing how Mikey deals with his ranginess.  Keith Thurman has given up the WBC Welterweight belt because he just cant get healthy.

Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter for the vacant WBC 147lbs. belt is a good fight. But I mean, that's just cause Garcia and Porter don't fight on a regular basis and anything to keep these guys in worthwhile fights and active is good.

• 3 weeks later...

HBO Boxing 

Vargas vs. Hovhanissyan was a great fight and Munguia looked huge compared to Ali. Munguia knocked Ali down 4 or 5 times depending on if you count one as a slip or a knock down. 

ESPN 

Lomachenko vs. Linares was my favorite fight of the two shows and Loma won in the 10th round with a sweet liver shot. 

Loma fought well.  Linares is a slick boxer and no pushover.  Loma is pushing his limits though since he looked rather small against Linares.  He got a little sloppy with his footwork and got knocked down for it but he didnt seem that bothered by it.  They are saying Loma will probably fight Ray Beltran next and Mikey Garcia will fight Robert Easter Jr. next.  If all shakes down as it should Garcia vs Loma is intriguing.  

Poor Sadam Ali.  He never seemed to be a particularly large Welterweight and he looked mismatched in there.  Amazed that only 1 pound separated them come fight time.  Sadam ducks no one though.  Most guys wouldn't have Munguia as a late replacement

Stevenson is at that Sergio Martinez, wheels-come-flying-off point of his career. DiBella did a decent job of protecting Sergio as long as he could. If Adonis can't sell tickets, what good is he really to Yvon Michel? Now if Eleider Alvarez beats Kovalev somehow then obviously he has use. However, if Adonis loses the Jack rematch, it blows that big Quebec showdown into smithereens. As a result, don't expect Stevenson-Jack II to be made before August 4 if it is made at all.

The President has officially pardoned Jack Johnson for violations of the Mann Act.  (Jim Crow era law, prohibiting the transportation of a woman across a state line for "immoral purposes".  Used against him because he was black and his wife was white.)

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The President has officially pardoned Jack Johnson for violations of the Mann Act.  (Jim Crow era law, prohibiting the transportation of a woman across a state line for "immoral purposes".  Used against him because he was black and his wife was white.)

So we can pardon fighters who died decades ago as a symbolic gesture, but standing up against police brutality ..nuh uh. Gotcha, goblin face.

Anyway, I don't think it was just particularly because his wife was white but he was heavyweight champ and known for cavorting with white women regularly after his first marriage to a black woman fell apart. The woman who testified against him for this bogus, (at that time) freshly made up charge was a white prostitute who he was known to associate with.  

Naoya Inoue moved up to bantamweight and absolutely housed Jamie McDonnell (who probably should've left bantamweight awhile ago) to win a version of the WBA title. Inoue also joined the World Boxing Super Series bantamweight tournament to crown a unified bantamweight world champion. He will join Ryan Burnett (the actual WBA champion and former IBF champion), Zolani Tete (the WBO champion), and Emmanuel Rodriguez (the newly crowned IBF champion) as the current members of the tournament field. There is a bout for the vacant WBC title on 6/23 between Nordine Oubaali and Petch Sor Chitpattana. I'm guessing the winner will also be part of the tournament if it starts in September.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The main issue with that is there is literally nothing to pardon because Ali's conviction was overturned unanimously by the Supreme Court 27 years ago. 

whee.

FWIW here is the free Showtime stream for Tyson Fury's comeback fight:

Maurice Hooker already beat Terry Flanagan for a vacant 140 lbs. title in the co-feature. Solid, fun fight especially in the second half.

5 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Jeff Horn flew half way around the world to catch a clubberin'.  

I was trying to watch the Showtime card and UFC at the same time. After the first three rounds, I just stopped paying attention to that. I'm not sure if a Crawford showcase and a fight with two lesser known Filipino fighters is really going to get folks to subscribe to ESPN+.

Between David Benavidez and Artur Beterbiev, a lot of tampering going on at Top Rank. In the case of Beterbiev, Top Rank had him on a ESPN show when there was an ongoing between Beterbiev and his promoter Yvon Michel. Afterwards, there was a rumor Beterbiev was going to fight on another ESPN show and that he signed with Top Rank only for Carl Moretti to say it's not true. Now this past week, a court ruled that Michel's contract with Beterbiev (much like the ruling w/ Lewkowicz and Benavidez) is still valid. Arum is just being outright flagrant now.

I'm not shocked though. They need more content w/ this new deal and as a result need more legit fights and fighters. Some of these last few shows have shown that Top Rank roster is pretty thin on names.