DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

3 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Safe to say the SUper Middleweight version of the WBSS has been substantially more underwhelming than the Cruiserweight one.  

I think Showtime/Haymon/DiBella/etc. would have benefited greatly by allowing David Benavidez, James DeGale, Caleb Plant, Caleb Truax, and one of the Dirrells to participate. I mean most of those guys are going to end up fighting each other anyway. Kills two birds with one stone: get fun fights and stateside TV coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Deontay Wilder has the most appropriate name. Holy fuck, that was insane. So many long periods early on from Wilder of basically just seeing what Ortiz had to offer. Didn't throw his right through two rounds or so. Still kept it in his pocket for the majority of the first half. And he can take a shot or five. So crazy. I've never seen a high level boxer move and throw like Wilder.

Do we get Joshua/Wilder as the final stop in the Wilder world tour of shit kicking PED fools? Joshua has to take care of business at the end of the month, but that will be a blast.

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Deontay Wilder has the most appropriate name. Holy fuck, that was insane. So many long periods early on from Wilder of basically just seeing what Ortiz had to offer. Didn't throw his right through two rounds or so. Still kept it in his pocket for the majority of the first half. And he can take a shot or five. So crazy. I've never seen a high level boxer move and throw like Wilder.

Do we get Joshua/Wilder as the final stop in the Wilder world tour of shit kicking PED fools? Joshua has to take care of business at the end of the month, but that will be a blast.

What's weird is that for all the criticisms against Wilder, the moment Ortiz was able to rock him wasn't Wilder being sloppy and off balance really. He got caught in a pretty good exchange. He was able to hold on. He came out still a little buzzed and weary the next round, but Ortiz played it way too careful. For all of Wilder's faults, he has a ton of confidence that his power is the ultimate equalizer. If he feels like he has you hurt, he goes after you immediately.

Moreover, Ortiz came out and did what he was suppose to do. He forced Wilder to be inactive early on and made him fearful of a left hand counter. Wilder's jab was non-existent as a result. He recovered from a knockdown early where it seemed like Wilder could be coming on after doing nothing early on, which is Wilder's M.O. in fights against lesser opponents he stops soonafter throwing his first big salvo. He forced his way back into the fight and caught Wilder good. He checked every box to beat Deontay Wilder. And then, Wilder starting doing Deontay Wilder things and knocked him out. 

Yeah, AJ is a much, much better fighter technically. However, how long have people been waiting for the Wilder train to go smooth off the tracks? I mean Povetkin's piss couldn't stay clean long enough to get that fight. Then, people tabbed Ortiz to do so. Now, Ortiz lost pretty convincingly after having Wilder in a fair amount of trouble. I'm definitely not saying Wilder is an ATG heavyweight or anything but he is certainly better than what people have been saying about him since he turned pro. Plus, he is a way more intriguing opponent for AJ than fucking Tyson Fury. It's a real marquee bout in the very least. Wilder might not a have a clear path to victory against Joshua, but Wilder is the epitome of a puncher's chance. He is the guy with the middling batting average and a bunch of strikeouts, but he's still the last guy the opposing team wants at the plate with the bases loaded. He just needs the one moment and that's a wrap. Joshua is great but he ain't invincible. We seen that in the Whyte fight and certainly saw it against an older Wladimir Klitschko. We might see it again when he fights Parker. Hopefully, Joshua-Wilder comes to fruition sooner than later.

Wilder vs. Ortiz is the best boxing fight I have seen this year! Such an amazing crazy fight with the crowd rocking & rolling plus booing at times as well. Wilder facing the Joshua vs. Parker winner should be the next fight but during the show they said Wilder wants that fight next however Joshua says if he wins he wants one more fight before Wilder. 

With Estrada complaining about the pay, I wonder if we get another SuperFly card with or without him. The concept is great, but I don't know if Sor Rungvisai is a big enough hook to keep doing them. With Inoue going to bantamweight, it kinda undercuts that fight he had on the first SuperFly card. 

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Scott Quigg missed weight by 2.8 pounds so he can't win the WBO World Featherweight Championship held by Oscar Valdez tonight. Embarrasing.

To top it off, rain is pouring down at the StubHub and everyone in the venue (including Bob Arum) is in a rain poncho. In addition, Joe Tessitore apparently lost his voice during the broadcast and had to give up his play by play seat to Bernardo Osuna.

This is Murphy's Law to the extreme.

• Haha 1

Both Garcia vs. Lipinets and Valdez vs. Quigg were entertaining. The latter was more bloody thanks to Valdez getting his jaw fractured, but it's interesting to see Garcia at 140. He was able to score an impressive knockdown against Lipinets. 

Regis Prograis looked impressive Friday night on ShoBox to win the interim version of the belt Jose Ramirez vs. Amir Imam are fighting for next Saturday. He should now be fighting on big shows because he clearly has outgrown the ShoBox level.

Felix Verdejo got stopped on the prelims of the tonight's Ramirez-Imam card. It's just very sad. I can't even say he was overhyped. That would be an incredible understatement. Boxing writers for whatever reasons decided to make him the next Carlos Ortiz, Wilfred Benitez, Felix Trinidad, and Miguel Cotto overnight when he never showed the requisite skills to be even close to that. Based on Arum's before Verdejo's loss, I think he knew full well Verdejo was just a creation to put Puerto Rico back on the boxing map and Verdejo had already been exposed before the hiatus. A few years ago I remember writers clowned the Puerto Rican fighters promoted by PR Best Boxing and co-promoted by the smaller American promoters like DiBella and whatnot. Yet, Verdejo ain't no better than any one of those fighters really. Today's loss just reaffirms that.

Verdejo is going to get released from his Top Rank contract, and they're going to scour the 2020 Olympics to find someone halfway decent from the Puerto Rican national boxing team. The search begins again.

On the eve of the big Joshua vs. Parker unification bout, The Telegraph has reported Dana White wants to offer Eddie Hearn $500 million to be Anthony Joshua's co-promoter under the banner of Zuffa Boxing.

While that isn't confirmed yet, what is confirmed is Dana has been meeting the top brass in the boxing world except for Arum and De La Hoya. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Serious question: knowing how Dana treats 99% of his fighters, why would anyone in boxing want to work for him?

Because honestly, working with most boxing promoters is basically working with another Dana.

I mean Bob Arum and Don King just a co-promoted an event last weekend. Dana doesn't even have a quarter of the track record with fighters those two have. Granted, they also had 30 year head start over Dana.

IMO Based on the (lack of) success of Roc Nation (Jay Z and one of Golden Boy's former bigwigs) and SMS Promotions (50 Cent), the model of attached yourself to two or three top fighters (who may or may not draw) doesn't work. The same problems that people believe plague the UFC (as supremebve brought up in the other thread, putting prospects on platforms that don't do much for them, lack of fights for those prospects, lack of marketing, etc.) and how fighters are treated basically went on with those two promotions. That's why both were DOA as soon as they came into the boxing game. Case in point, one of Roc Nation's highly touted prospects (Daniel Franco) lost a stay busy fight on a show in Iowa and then afterwards suffered a brain bleed that cost him his career. Keep in mind, said prospect was already going through the beginning stages of an ongoing contract dispute with Roc Nation. Then afterwards, with the boxer pulling through the whole medically induced coma, multiple surgeries, removing a giant part of the skull, and fighting for his life ordeal, Roc Nation didn't want to compensate the fighter or pay for the medical treatment. Roc Nation went off the grid and left the guy with $270,000+ in medical costs. Now I know someone like Jay Z isn't really to blame since he is just the frontman, but it is downright heartless to do that to a fighter. That goes even if the kid wasn't that good of a prospect. If people gave a shit about the upstart boxing wing of Roc Nation Sports, that would be a killer PR wise. 

However, the reason why you have these money mark boxing promotions is people like Arum know they can use these guys to build up their own fighters and then never work with them again once they lose their usefulness. I mean Gamboa and Cotto were used to put Top Rank (Crawford in the case of Gamboa) and Golden Boy (Canelo in the case of Cotto) fighters over and get a few decent to good TV ratings and buyrates. That's all they were there for. Now both are basically non-existent (SMS wasn't an entity anymore around the time 50 filed for bankruptcy) or barely even there in the case of Roc Nation (their biggest stars Andre Ward and Miguel Cotto retired last year). All the promoters are cut from the same cloth (Hearn is a sleazebag himself) and do dirt as bad as Dana if not worse. So to me, that's not a big issue...at least as of right now when it only exists as a concept.

The problem is if Zuffa Boxing decides to go the way SMS and Roc Nation went and a lot of these other fly by night promotions, they will die a quick death especially knowing that when it comes to the manipulation, power, and influence game, folks like Bob Arum will eat them up quickly. Their saving grace is if someone like Anthony Joshua is willing to come aboard, it's a game changer because he's not on the wrong side of 30 like a Yuriorkis Gamboa, Miguel Cotto, or Andre Ward. Promoting a Wilder fight would net Zuffa a profit they cannot pull on a rank and file UFC PPV (at least not this run of PPVs). Also, another part of that saving grace is that Endeavor is likely willing to spend way more money to make this work. SMS was going to be limited because 50 wanted to pump up headphones and his music and no one really gave a damn. Roc Nation just did the dip-your-toe-in-water thing and never really invested in the sport besides getting rappers to perform awkwardly (with terrible acoustics) in the middle of their TV cards. At least with PBC, Haymon was smart enough to get the dough upfront and put all the risk on the investors. In comparison, it was clear very quickly that SMS and Roc Nation weren't long for boxing promotion.

If this were me, I would go after Joshua and try to sign Mayweather as well and then vulture my way into the game like Schaefer and De La Hoya did. Granted, Manny Pacquiao (promoted Bob Arum to bring to this full circle) beat up Golden Boy's first big signee Marco Antonio Barrera right after he signed his deal to leave John Jackson's Forum Boxing.  That's why you don't sign just one dude with a name. As the years went on, Golden Boy was able to pilfer and siphon fighters away. If they didn't (illegally) acquire Canelo away from Tuto Zavala's All Star Boxing, they wouldn't have survived the Al Haymon fighter exodus five years back because nobody else on that roster not advised by Al Haymon was worth a damn besides a then almost 50 year old Bernard Hopkins. I mean even if Hearn decided to co-promote with Dana and WME-IMG, what would be stop him from trying to get of that somehow and screw them over? In addition, what is their backup plan if Joshua loses. He will still be a big draw since the UK fans are extremely loyal, but it's clear how these things go with fighters. One day these guys (meaning the promoter of record at the time) are the best thing for my career and the next day, I need a change of scenery and now I'm signed with Al Haymon and PBC. If you only have one fighter, that's a hard thing to shake. Hearn can survive because he is entrenched in the UK boxing scene and has a cushy deal with HBO now. Dana and those WME-IMG/Endeavor guys wouldn't have that leverage (besides UFC fighters now boxing) much like America Presents didn't have any leverage to do anything after Tyson's career went down for good. They just became Goossen Tutor and didn't promote any fighters of note besides Paul Williams, Cris Arreola, Robert Guerrero, and pre Super Six, ShoBox regular Andre Ward until Dan Goossen passed away in 2014 midway through litigation with Andre Ward. If Zuffa Boxing became what Goossen's promotional career was post the big final Tyson buyrates and record breaking gates,  which was promoting tiny shows in Southern California with an odd notable fight like Vitali Klitschko vs. Arreola or halfway success like Super Six, then that's just as much an outright disaster as SMS and Roc Nation.

Their only way forward is to use the influence of Ari Emanuel. I mean the guy is having a big meeting with a Saudi prince worth $17 billion in LA next month who wants to invest big in the entertainment industry. You either go big or go home. PBC (and by extension, SMS and Roc Nation) is proof out of the gate, if you don't make a big splash with who you have, it doesn't matter how much money you spend on the glossy production. I mean Roc Nation had a bunch of celebs in the audience for their first show (remember when people were wondering if the WME/IMG clients would do that when the UFC sale was final?) like Jake Gyllenhaal and Rihanna (RiRi who clearly doesn't give a single solitary shit about boxing left like an hour into the show) in the front row. The problem was nobody of note was on the actual card (the first of the ill fated Throne Boxing series) unless you count Conor McGregor's ex sparring partner and then subsequent jaded enemy Chris van Heerden and fringe contender Tureano Johnson, and it was on like FS1 with no real hype. The highlight of that show was rapper Fabolous performing in the craziest Willie Dynamite inspired getup I've ever fucking seen to straight silence in the theater at MSG. Afterward, Roc Nation Sports gave themselves no shot to rebound like Golden Boy did after Pacquiao trounced Barrera in a giant upset at the time. Other than having a black ring (which Showtime uses for some reason now and doesn't come off well on TV), I cannot remember a single notable move to shake things up that would get real big headlines even in the boxing community let alone mainstream media. You can't cover up the effort you put into this. People will see through the bullshit. IMMEDIATELY.

That's just my take. If they really want to make this thing work, they can't afford to pussyfoot around with it and let other promoters take advantage of them. 

• Thanks 1