DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

Linares/Campbell was a solid, intriguing bout. I would like to see Linares vs. Mikey Garcia, however, it would be strange for Mikey to go up to junior middleweight to fight Cotto and then drop all the way back down to fight Linares. However, Cotto might not make it to that 12/2 bout with all that devastation in Puerto Rico. That would likely take priority over a retirement bout that they can always be rescheduled. If so, I'm totally fine with a Linares/Garcia bout.

On 9/24/2017 at 12:19 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Linares/Campbell was a solid, intriguing bout. I would like to see Linares vs. Mikey Garcia, however, it would be strange for Mikey to go up to junior middleweight to fight Cotto and then drop all the way back down to fight Linares. However, Cotto might not make it to that 12/2 bout with all that devastation in Puerto Rico. That would likely take priority over a retirement bout that they can always be rescheduled. If so, I'm totally fine with a Linares/Garcia bout.

Yeah I don't understand Mikey yo-yoing all over these weight classes.  Guess he wants to get paid and make up for lost time.  He should just do the Linares fight and if all goes well go to 140 when Crawford moves up.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to a PBC card at Barclays this Saturday headlined by Deontay Wilder vs Bermane Stiveren, Shawn Porter vs Adrian Granados and Sergey Lupinets vs Akihiro Kondo. Tony Paige said it was a good card and the tickets were free so I figure why not? Can any of the boxing people on the board enlighten me on what to expect and how good the card is?

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Deontay Wilder just mauled another man. Awesome.

I was there and it was awesome. And that was the only guy he ever faced that went the distance with him. Porter-Granados was an awesome war and Lupinets-Kondo was great as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. I know some people didn't like Ferdie on commentary, but growing up and listening to his perspective (especially on the Mexican and Puerto Rican fighters) was pretty damn fun and insightful. He always seemed enthusiastic about the fights and made them seem bigger. RIP.