DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

51 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Surprised Berto isn't on the card.  Must be saving him for Danny Garcia's next fight

Berto isn't really a TMT guy though, but they might as well add him for the FS1 portion. Badou Jack and Gervonta were 80% automatic for the PPV portion. Tabiti makes sense as the last time I checked, he is also trained by Floyd Sr. along with being TMT.  Now, the opponents are all showcases. Gervonta Davis is going to smoke this poor Costa Rican guy. Nathan Cleverly is here to pass his title to Badou Jack. Tabiti is fighting a 41 year old Steve Cunningham. 

So maybe Berto can rematch Luis Collazo since Collazo just beat a PBC fighter.

1 hour ago, username said:

Can someone break down the how/why of this change to 8 oz gloves for me?  I have a recollection that Floyd is generally very protective of his hands as they are prone to breaking, and this seems to fly in the face of that.

I think for the most part, he has gotten over the whole thing with the brittle hands. That seems like more a hand wrapping issue because I remember that was a key point of Floyd having Rafael Garcia around years ago.

I think Floyd's side doesn't feel it changes the outcome of the fight because how does that make Conor a better boxer? What could he do in 8oz gloves that he wasn't able to in 10 oz gloves even though a boxing match contested above 147 pounds is generally with 10 oz gloves.

This was something that was contentious in the Cotto fight as Floyd didn't like the quality of the 10 oz gloves being presented for use, thus he wanted to fight in 8 oz gloves.

However, the biggest reason for it getting pushed through is Nevada is making sure there is no issues with this fight going through. They even outright dismissed the potential safety issues concerning the change in the hearing and approved it anyway. They won't let glove choice impede this fight from happening.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

.This was something that was contentious in the Cotto fight as Floyd didn't like the quality of the 10 oz gloves being presented for use, thus he wanted to fight in 8 oz gloves.

This. 

Floyd probably made the switch to 8oz gloves in order to be able to choe the quality of the gloves he can use.  Some of his most recent tweets have been just shy of being full on Grant Boxing Equipment commercials and IIRC Grant is a Money Team sponsor.

I can't remember the last time Floyd didn't wear Grants. I know he wore Winning gloves against Gatti and that was 12 years ago. 

The whole thing about the custom Everlast MX gloves,  which were new at the time, before the first Maidana fight was all about the lack of padding in the gloves. Grants aren't really known to be punchers' gloves. So I don't think Floyd is going to have any issue with Grants, and that's what Conor has been training in.

16 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Mikey Garcia would be a waste of time.  He should go up against a champ at Welterweight or someone in the top 10.  Garcia if he wants to stay at 140 is better off filling the vacuum left by Crawford

147 isn't really going anywhere. I think the Garcia fight would be more interesting than trying to cherry pick at a title at welterweight right now. Thurman staying healthy seems like an injury. Danny Garcia isn't really into taking a ton  of high risk fights. I don't think Spence is going to take that fight right now. So the only options at 147 right now with Pacquiao in limbo (which has been hard to get even w/ Manny being a TR fighter) is cherry picking Jeff Horn and fighting the likes of Sadam Ali and in house Jessie Vargas. So it's not like he cannot fight Mikey Garcia and then go on to face Ali and Jessie Vargas relatively quickly. If Crawford wasn't fighting regularly, I would say go for the money fights. However, the money fights really aren't there...at least for the time being. Also, who is he really going to fight on ESPN now that it seems like that is going to be a more primary location for TR fights than HBO? He can fight PBC fighters on HBO. I don't think he's fighting any PBC fighters on ESPN when FS1 is their main competitor and ESPN chose to air GB (who is still trying to pursue legal action against Haymon) over extending their deal w/ PBC.

21 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Dont see PBC feeding Mikey to Crawford though either.  I think Crawford tears through him.  Bud will probably move up and fight for some crappy interim title if Thurman is out for an extended stretch

If they won't give him Garcia, they surely won't let him fight Keith Thurman. Garcia is way more expendable than Thurman.  They can always rehab Mikey Garcia, and he go down to 135 to grab another belt there. Thurman losing would hurt him because his whole attraction is based on him winning his fights. What is Keith Thurman without his record? He has exciting fights here and there, but he doesn't have a ton of charisma or a big fanbase. That's why fans seemed more compelled to the Garcia fight than Keith Thurman.

If I have to watch a fight where Crawford is the prohibitive favorite and options are Jeff Horn, Lamont Peterson, or Mikey Garcia, I will take the Garcia fight any goddamn day over those options. Once you get outside of the top 8 guys at 147 (counting Manny and not Floyd), it gets really murky and most of the good/notable dudes are with PBC. So if the plan at 147 is for him to just steamroll random folks and hope the Pacquiao fight comes together, then staying at 140 for one more fight against someone more notable than the current realistic options above 140 isn't the worst possible outcome. Now if he somehow loses to Garcia, then we can talk disaster. However, that's also the same risk he (IMO Top Rank assumes it because I don't see TR's relationship w/ Haymon being amicable enough for him to run the gauntlet) takes on against a Thurman, Danny Garcia, Shawn Porter, or Errol Spence.

3 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

So I wonder if anyone will pay attention to the COtto fight on Saturday

If Vargas/Rios ends at 10:30 p.m EST, Cotto/Kamegai will get a solid 45 minutes if not more before the Mayweather/McGregor festivities start. However, I don't expect something like Gervonta Davis vs. Francisco Fonseca to last very long. The other two PPV fights will probably go to decision. You also have to account for the weird audience watching the HBO broadcast out of protest. But I believe the fact Kamegai isn't really a big name and just there to be a non puncher, action fighter will not really strengthen the rating that night. Anyone watching that show is watching to see Cotto wind down his career and win a vacant title. That's about it. It was going to be the same rating with or without a show that will dwarf it in attention.

Reminder: This thread is NOT for Mayweather-McGregor. There is a thread for that already. However, if you want to talk about the OTHER fight (Cotto vs. Kamegai) tonight, go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz November 4.  Should be interesting especially since Luis Ortiz has the Paul Bunyan-esque aura being built up around him by people on the internet

....which I don't really understand. He's a big guy who can punch a little. We haven't seen those guys before? He can probably beat Wilder, but I wouldn't be shocked if Wilder beat him. That Malik Scott fight was horrendous. You can lay a lot of blame on Scott for not trying to fight, but Ortiz didn't help his case.