DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 5

Elsalvajeloco

The old thread is almost exactly a year old, and the Mayweather/McGregor thread met its untimely demise.

In non-intro to sociology like discussion, Robert Guerrero retired after getting the shit kicked out of him on Saturday by a returning Omar Figueroa.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:15 PM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Guerrero reacted really bad every time he got hit with something serious.  Figueroa isn't that heavy handed.  From the other card Saturday night Jezreel Corrales is my new least favourite fighter.  Prisoners on death row should be forced to watch that junk

Guerrero has been shot or on the road to being a shot for awhile before the Figueroa fight. I first noticed the trend downward in the fight with Aron Martinez. You cannot be going tit for tat with someone whose claim to fame is opening Friday Night Fights cards at Agua Caliente only few years prior. It was very sad watching that fight in front of like nine people at StubHub in the middle of the afternoon. From then on, he was just another guy to get pelted on by fighters who promoters want to build up.

Is this the proper thread for me to whine that most MMA fans (at least in New Mexico) are a bunch of obnoxious, delusional twats? I just returned from a rare venture down to the pool hall and ran into some guys that I usually see at the PPV. All four are Native American so I don't think race plats into this as much as casual stupidity, but they all wanted to talk to me about Conor/Floyd, knowing that I'm Irish as fuck and an MMA fan, obviously I too am betting heavily on Conor to knock Money out... I reply that I'm doing no such thing, and in fact have little to no interest in watching this travesty. That seems to get everyone butthurt and I have to listen to a lot of bullshit about "all Floyd knows is boxing, Conor has a tremendous advantage because he knows so many other disciplines."  I point out that as far as I know, this is a boxing match with boxing rules, so it doesn't matter if Conor is better at kicking people in the head, kicking people in the head is frowned on in boxing circles.These guys actually start getting mad because I'm "dissing MMA". So I just finish my game and leave. What a bunch of ignorant assholes, no wonder MMA fans get a bad rep...There are going to be two winners in this fight and that's going to be the two guys laughing their way to the bank at the stupid marks that paid good money to see this... I will say this, Conor and Floyd are as good at working the long con as anyone I've ever seen, gotta give 'em props for that.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Is this the proper thread for me to whine that most MMA fans (at least in New Mexico) are a bunch of obnoxious, delusional twats? I just returned from a rare venture down to the pool hall and ran into some guys that I usually see at the PPV. All four are Native American so I don't think race plats into this as much as casual stupidity, but they all wanted to talk to me about Conor/Floyd, knowing that I'm Irish as fuck and an MMA fan, obviously I too am betting heavily on Conor to knock Money out... I reply that I'm doing no such thing, and in fact have little to no interest in watching this travesty. That seems to get everyone butthurt and I have to listen to a lot of bullshit about "all Floyd knows is boxing, Conor has a tremendous advantage because he knows so many other disciplines."  I point out that as far as I know, this is a boxing match with boxing rules, so it doesn't matter if Conor is better at kicking people in the head, kicking people in the head is frowned on in boxing circles.These guys actually start getting mad because I'm "dissing MMA". So I just finish my game and leave. What a bunch of ignorant assholes, no wonder MMA fans get a bad rep...There are going to be two winners in this fight and that's going to be the two guys laughing their way to the bank at the stupid marks that paid good money to see this... I will say this, Conor and Floyd are as good at working the long con as anyone I've ever seen, gotta give 'em props for that.

There is a reason why the Mayweather-McGregor betting lines have gotten closer and closer. It is people exactly like this betting on the fight.

Conor would be a good bet if the odds were like 100-1. If there's idiots making it close to an even money fight, it's worth putting shitloads on Mayweather. Stating the obvious, I know.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Conor would be a good bet if the odds were like 100-1. If there's idiots making it close to an even money fight, it's worth putting shitloads on Mayweather. Stating the obvious, I know.

Well the folks in Vegas expect more action on the fight than this year's Super Bowl. That's downright insane.

Mayweather 7/2 to win between round 4 - 6; 7/1 to win between rounds 1-3.

Both look like good value bets if Mayweather is going out there 100% seriously. Guess that's the question.

McGregor 4/6 to be knocked down during the fight also looks nice, as does Mayweather by TKO at 15/8.

not really a boxing fan, but i got thinking...

has any boxer had significant success with switching stances? it seems like so much is made of orthodox/southpaw, but i've never really heard of a switch boxer.

is it just something that's not done, or is it more common and i have just missed it?

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

not really a boxing fan, but i got thinking...

has any boxer had significant success with switching stances? it seems like so much is made of orthodox/southpaw, but i've never really heard of a switch boxer.

is it just something that's not done, or is it more common and i have just missed it?

It's pretty common since I been watching the sport at least. In addition, you have a lot of guys who are left handed but were taught how to fight orthodox. Oscar de la Hoya and Miguel Cotto are like the two more prominent orthodox fighters who were converted from southpaw and naturally their left hand was stronger.

Cotto use to switch stances a lot when he was coming up, and does it every now and then today. Marvin Hagler had a ton of success switching stances. Naseem Hamed used to switch from southpaw to orthodox regularly. Several prominent fighters have gotten knockouts out of the southpaw (or orthodox) stance after fighting the majority of the fight in the opposite stance.

Terence Crawford is perhaps the most successful person at switching stances nowadays.

• Like 1

Frampton - Gutierrez WBC eliminator tomorrow night has been called off.

Frampton missed weight by 1lb this morning - which meant the fight wasn't an eliminator, but the fight was still going ahead.

Fast forward a few hours Gutierrez was in an accident in his hotel room - "fell in the shower", hecut his chin and nose up and lost two teeth. 

25 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Frampton - Gutierrez WBC eliminator tomorrow night has been called off.

Frampton missed weight by 1lb this morning - which meant the fight wasn't an eliminator, but the fight was still going ahead.

Fast forward a few hours Gutierrez was in an accident in his hotel room - "fell in the shower", hecut his chin and nose up and lost two teeth. 

Just saw the pictures. Either was he was attacked by some angry Frampton fans at the fighter hotel and doesn't want to tell anyone or he didn't try to break his fall and fell HARD.

• Like 1

I'm watching the Mayweather/McGregor All Access and these pressers seem more tolerable clipped down to 2 to 2 1/2 minutes instead of two guys frantically pacing around and screaming for minutes on end.

2 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Sad effort by Broner.  

I still have to watch it because I was watching UFC 214. However, I saw the punch count total at the end of the fight and was just blown away. 

10 hours ago, AxB said:

The Klitschko vs Joshua rematch is off. Klitschko retired.

I dunno if the Klitschko rematch was ever officially on. Joshua seems to be training for someone and announcing an opponent. The Klitschko retirement seems to just confirm he wasn't the person AJ was training for.

If tonight was any indication, Claressa Shields will mow through all the female fighters in those thin weight classes in in less than two years. She outlanded a "world champion" 136 to 6 in five rounds. That's absurd.