DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - SECOND ROUND THROUGH SEMI FINALS RESULTS (SPOILERS)

Rev Ray

Rousey has yet to work with a real camp in her MMA career. I'd like to see what she could do away from Edmond's dumb ass. I don't see Dana letting her work for Vince without getting something in return. Maybe Vince does a Brock for Ronda and Punk deal lol.

I mostly agree with Matt D about not liking MMA and wrasslin mixing, but I get why WWE would want Rousey for a Mania match. They don't have Rock or Taker to trot out anymore, and I'd rather see Ronda than another Shane McMahon masterbation showcase match.

10 minutes ago, JCM said:

I mostly agree with Matt D about not liking MMA and wrasslin mixing, but I get why WWE would want Rousey for a Mania match. They don't have Rock or Taker to trot out anymore, and I'd rather see Ronda than another Shane McMahon masterbation showcase match.

I'm also frustrated that we're in a world where yes, Shane McMahon was the biggest draw at Wrestlemania last year and there's no path forward out of this problem other than the most temporary bandaids, that do more harm than good, sure.

Where are people getting this legitimizing wrestling talk from? This is about taking advantage of Rousey's name for a big match and going the obvious route for a feud by teasing warring Horsewomen factions. Not sure Rousey would ever be allowed to have a match, but a tag match where she can do the least amount of work is more likely than anything else. I know I said it would be a big match, but I have no idea how the other two MMA Horsewomen even feel about wrestling. Shayna and Rousey are obvious enough fans. The way this tournament has built up Shayna is likely more to have a good heel like the UK tournament did in Dunne. Shayna is a good choice for a final with Kairi. She is solid, has name value due to the Horsewomen, and is likely familiar with Kairi due to Stardom while still serving as fresh match up since they never had a singles encounter there.

• Like 1

The finals are taking place in Vegas after a smackdown. People are more willing to stick around and watch for shanya with Ronda in her corner than kairi vs viper or Mercedes. This show has already gotten talk on ESPN so I think it's worth it.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
8 hours ago, Eivion said:

I have no idea how the other two MMA Horsewomen even feel about wrestling.

They're all fans.

Marina Shafir is an NXT regular attendee because she is engaged to Roderick Strong.

Jessamyn is very close to Shayna and has been in the crowd for several indy shows Shayna has been on.

They also use to frequent PWG shows as they're from California, so they're all fans.

There's video of Ronda doing flying armbars in rings in wrestling form.

Considering Shayna did just fine, a superior grappler like Ronda should do just fine, specially in a multi woman setting.

MMA fighters seem to adapt pretty well, at least in modern times. I think due to the way they train (practicing moves without actually locking them in), if the matches are strength and mat based they seem to do fine. Its only an issue at times when they try to throw strikes, since it takes more practice to learn how to make a punch look real without hurting someone.

Did they let Kairi use her spear?  Her Goldberg-like spear is at least as impressive as the elbow drop, but she's probably smaller than most of the women in the WWE, so I kinda think they won't want a lilliputian mowing down Charlotte like that.

9 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Did they let Kairi use her spear?  Her Goldberg-like spear is at least as impressive as the elbow drop, but she's probably smaller than most of the women in the WWE, so I kinda think they won't want a lilliputian mowing down Charlotte like that.

Wait until she works Alexa. 

On 7/15/2017 at 11:40 AM, JCM said:

Rousey has yet to work with a real camp in her MMA career. I'd like to see what she could do away from Edmond's dumb ass. I don't see Dana letting her work for Vince without getting something in return. Maybe Vince does a Brock for Ronda and Punk deal lol.

Meltzer has suggested that Cris Cyborg might be involved with something at SummerSlam, involving Becky Lynch. Whether it's a match or not, who knows.

Weird we might get a Cyborg "match" in WWE before a Rousey match.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Cyborg thing came from her and Becky going back and forth on Twitter. It wasn't anything more than that.

Meltzer mentions it on the website in an update.

The company is pushing some sort of a tease of Cris Cyborg with Becky Lynch at SummerSlam. It's clearly something worked out between the two of them which the company is involved with.

That is kinda the interesting thing about Kairi's elbow drop. When I first heard they may not let her use it, I didn't think it was because Bayley uses it, but rather becase sometimes she crushes people with it. She gets so much air that either it looks like the most amazing move ever, or it looks like she is going to injure someone. I remember one early on, maybe 2014, where she was going to land directly on someone's head but luckily they moved out of the way (even though it was the planned finish) since they saw they were about to be decapitated.

I personally love the move, its a great visual and that sense of danger is fun since I am not the one taking the move. But I would understand if they only wanted her to use it for big matches and not be dropping them every week on NXT.

Real quick, for the people talking about WWE using Ronda...

First, UFC as owned by Zuffa (Fertitas, Dana, and some others) wouldn't allow Ronda to work anything for WWE. Since her WM appearance and the time those talks first started, Ronda drank like 7 pitchers of Edmund's Kool-Aid, wound up getting ethered by Holm and Nunes, and UFC was sold to WME. Circumstances have obviously changed drastically. Oh, and Ronda likely isn't going to have a pro fight ever again.

Second, while Brock's MMA suspension lifts this month, if it hasn't already, he has retired from MMA/UFC and isn't a fighter anymore. If he were to decide to make a return to fighting, he would need to elect to do so and enter the drug testing pool for six months. He hasn't done anything of the sort. Now, UFC can waive this requirement, but given what happened the last time with Lesnar, I doubt they let themselves get burned again.

The tl;dr of this is that there isn't going to be any sort of Ronda for Brock type of trade and the barriers to Ronda working a WWE match aren't the same as they were before. If she did, I would assume it's via some sort of UFC co-promotion.

Guest Edwin
On 7/16/2017 at 0:43 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

I think due to the way they train (practicing moves without actually locking them in)...

Not that this matters, but that's not it... Based on personal experience from when I did BJJ for some time, everyone went all out when we were rolling.

Subs weren't fully cranked on, but they were locked in enough until you tapped.

22 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Ronda has lots of experience throwing punches that don't hurt anyone

Huh?

Ronda KO'd Bethe with a right hand over the ear, dropped and finished McMann with some knees in the clinch and she landed some ground and pound on Davis after she threw her down which was enough to finish her off.

Sure her stand up technique is horrendous/non existent, but it's not that she doesn't hurt anyone...

Doesn't Kairi use her spear as more of a transition move the way most people use a closeline? I think it's fine to let her use it like that.

Man I would not trust Cyborg in any kind of worked environment.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That is kinda the interesting thing about Kairi's elbow drop. When I first heard they may not let her use it, I didn't think it was because Bayley uses it, but rather because sometimes she crushes people with it. She gets so much air that either it looks like the most amazing move ever, or it looks like she is going to injure someone. I remember one early on, maybe 2014, where she was going to land directly on someone's head but luckily they moved out of the way (even though it was the planned finish) since they saw they were about to be decapitated.

Even when she does it right it looks like she crushes people with it. The match your thinking of was probably from late 2013-early 2014. She used a more normal diving elbow when she started. Then she changed it up later and started to look like she could murder people with it.

25 minutes ago, JCM said:

Doesn't Kairi use her spear as more of a transition move the way most people use a closeline? I think it's fine to let her use it like that.

Counter/comeback

HHH seems to be more of a let the talent do what they want guy. I remember the story of Demott getting mad at KO for doing a flip dive in his debut, and HHH apparently said let him do what he wants. I don't like Gargano using his spear on big guys like AOP, but it's not the end of the world especially if the audience likes it. I think most of the asinine micromanaging happens on the main roster.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Even when she does it right it looks like she crushes people with it. The match your thinking of was probably from late 2013-early 2014. She used a more normal diving elbow when she started. Then she changed it up later and started to look like she could murder people with it.

I found it, it was late 2014, soon after she started making it more... exotic so her aim was even more iffy. It was the planned finish, as Kairi just went right back up and it it correctly the second try.

I think it looks safe most the time as usually she lands next to the person with only an elbow on the chest, as designed. But sometimes she doesn't judge it and literally lands on the person, like she did to Mimura a few months ago. So I could understand on that ground why WWE wouldn't want her doing it every week, she's never hurt anyone that I am aware of but they tend to not like risky moves. She could just use the Sliding D, its a cool enough visual.