DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - SECOND ROUND THROUGH SEMI FINALS RESULTS (SPOILERS)

Rev Ray

Taken from @JJWilliamsWON

Non-Tournament:  Nicole Matthews/Barbi Hayden (Matthews *Armbar* Purrazzo) Jessica James/Deonna Purrazzo

Tournament Rd 2:  Abbey Laith over Rachel Evers via powerbomb and roll through pin

Tournament Rd 2:  Piper Niven over Serena Deeb via Michinoku Driver

Tournament Rd 2:  Mercedes Martinez over Princess Sugehit via Fisherman Suplex

Tournament Rd 2:  Kairi Sane over Bianca Belair via Top Rope Elbow Drop

Tournament Rd 2:  Toni Storm over Lacey Evans via over knee neckbreaker (given the pictures, looks like an Air Raid Crash onto the knee ala the old Dixie Driver)

The Women's Wrestling Four Horsewomen (Bayley, Charlotte & Becky w/ Sasha apparently on facetime) and the MMA Four Horsewomen (minus Baszler who's competing) are on opposite sides of the aisle

Tournament Rd 2:  Shayna Baszler over Mia Yim via choke out, Baszler jawing with wrestler horsewomen post match

Tournament Rd 2:  Dakota Kai over Rhea Ripley via top rope double stomp

Tournament Rd 2:  Candice LaRae over Nicole Savoy via swinging neckbreaker off the ropes

Tournament Rd 3:  Mercedes Martinez over Abbey Laith via Fisherman Buster

Tournament Rd 3:  Shayna Baszler over Candice LeRae via choke out, fans are booing Baszler after she apparently refused to break the hold, medics checked on Candice.

Tournament Rd 3:  Toni Storm over Piper Nivens via top rope leg drop

Tournament Rd 3:  Kairi Sane over Dakota Kai via top rope elbow drop

Beth Phoenix is apparently a guest commentator.

Non-tournament:  Jazzy Gabert, Tessa Blanchard, Kay Lee Ray over Sarah Logan, Samantha Garrett, Marti Belle.  Looks like Gabert got the pin, supposedly fans are chanting hire jazzy

Triple H comes out and thanks Sara Amato for starting the women's revolution.

Semi-finals:  Shayna Baszler over Mercedes Martinez via choke out

Semi-finals:  Kairi Sane over Toni Storm via top rope elbow drop

looks like Triple H, Sara and Stephanie were in to congratulate the winners of the semis.

It feels oddly prescient that I rewatched some of the Hashimoto/Takada and Hashimoto/Ogawa matches yesterday. (It was actually just the gifs thread that did it, but still.) This is a rather Inoki finals and angle, by the looks of it.

It looks like Alpha Female may be the Cedric Alexander of this. Kajiri seems like the obvious choice, but with the Rousey connection, as damaged as that brand may be, Baszler could be the SportsCenter moment that they're looking for.

Interesting that they are teasing Four Horsewomen vs. Four Horsewomen. That would be a big Wrestlemania match if they could actually get it.

Would have never guessed that Jazzy would get the Cedric treatment.

So happy we get Toni vs. Piper. Toni/Viper from Stardom earlier this year was great. Also happy to see Toni vs. Kairi again with a definitive ending.

Great show tonight. Might be a little too Ronda Rousey centric with shanya going over but I enjoyed it. By the end, she was getting NXT era Bo Dallas type heat. Bit no one got as big of pop than jazzy did when she came out. She should beat asuka.

Bo Dallas "Booooo, you are fucking terrible" heat, "boooo, you are beating people we like better" heat or boo, you're a bad guy heat.  I've not seen Shayna work before, I heard she was at least decent.

From the clips I saw posted there were a few scary botches, and not from the people you would expect. Kairi fucked up her elbow drop and landed flush on top of one opponent (for some reason they all seemed to be positioned really close to the corner when she did it), and Toni went for a guillotine legdrop on Kairi and landed pretty much on top of her too. Looked like Kairi was supposed to roll out of the way and rolled the opposite way to what Toni was expecting.

Looked like the girls were allowed to do a lot more than you would expect on a "normal" WWE show. Bianca did a 450, Rachael did a powerslam(?) off the second rope, Candice did a suicide dive into a DDT, and her dive for once didn't look like shit.

Guest Edwin
6 hours ago, Eivion said:

So did any particular matches stand out to you?

Honestly, they were all good/entertaining. Not sure how they'll come across on video, but live they were all awesome aside from the first tag match which was forgettable.

No match really stood out and the botches/awkward moments were kept to a minimum which is a neat surprise.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Interesting that they are teasing Four Horsewomen vs. Four Horsewomen. That would be a big Wrestlemania match if they could actually get it.

I'd dig seeing that at WM, but I feel like there's about a 2% chance WWE can actually pull off the match.

5 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I'd dig seeing that at WM, but I feel like there's about a 2% chance WWE can actually pull off the match.

I'd rather see the Horsewomen vs Alexa/Nia/Emma/Carmella and them really push the (WWE) horsewomen brand since they're all on the same side

then they can all turn heel on Bayley.

So Jazzy is the new Blue Pants? lol

I was hoping to see Kairi work Kimber Lee in the tourney, but it looks pretty solid. Hopefully the out of ring stuff won't take away from the matches. I don't have a problem with them getting behind a monster heel to send to the finals. I'm guessing Rousey still has fights on her UFC contract. Maybe Dana would let her do a match if he got to use Brock again.

27 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Naw son, Shayna Bayzler is fucking awesome. Didn't you get the Segunda Caida talking points memo

It'd be ok if it was in a bubble, but it's pretty obvious that this whole tournament is just a backdrop to doing a bunch of Rousey stuff like that interminable 30 minute Mania segment a couple of years ago. WWE is really good at doing stuff that makes themselves and their talent look bush league 2 years after when it would have actually mattered (because whatever pop/sports element is finally low enough to sink to their level). Standard practice. This probably ends with Steph anyway.

I'm glad Bayzler's transitioning well, mind you. Good matches are good matches and it sounded like they were able to get some real heat out of Full Sail which is always nice. I'm not looking forward to Ross drooling over her real sports credentials to help shit on whoever she's in the ring with though.

The time is now to get mileage out of Shayna. No sense in waiting around. I could see her winning and going right to the main roster. Kairi doesn't really need the tournament win.

I'd build to Shayna vs Charlotte at Survivor Series and then do the real big angle there.

I love Shayna and that she has a different offense/skill set than 90% of the wrestlers that come out of the PC. So they can push her to the moon for all I care. This is just a Network Special tournament, they are going to use it to push their agenda since they are the ones footing the bill, its not an indie darling tournament. Rousey is still extremely relevant so anyone saying otherwise doesn't really pay attention. Rousey being at this event made ESPN, I think its another case of some wrestling fans just being too far in the bubble to understand why Rousey having a role in WWE is a bigger deal to them than unknown wrestler Candice LeRae winning a match.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I love Shayna and that she has a different offense/skill set than 90% of the wrestlers that come out of the PC. So they can push her to the moon for all I care. This is just a Network Special tournament, they are going to use it to push their agenda since they are the ones footing the bill, its not an indie darling tournament. Rousey is still extremely relevant so anyone saying otherwise doesn't really pay attention. Rousey being at this event made ESPN, I think its another case of some wrestling fans just being too far in the bubble to understand why Rousey having a role in WWE is a bigger deal to them than unknown wrestler Candice LeRae winning a match.

I get that Rousey's still a big deal (even if not as big a deal). I just don't think it's the best idea to push a narrative that the WWE women that have broken the mold are now almost as legitimate as the REAL fighters. It comes off as self-deprecating and defeatist. It did when Ross was going on about college football credentials in 1991 and it does all the more so now in a world of MMA. You have to be really careful when trying to get rub from something more legitimate than you. Most of the time, it's not going to work and it's just going to make you look all the more illegitimate to the people who are already buying into the product. WWE's just terrible at controlling narratives and making things matter over time and understanding why that's important. This is more part of that than anything else.

They don't have Mitch McConnell come on to one random episode of House of Cards, playing himself, make Francis Underwood look like an ass, and then leave, even if it would get them publicity for a night.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Why, exactly? I'm sure if given the right offer, Ronda would take a match at WM in a heart beat.

Her boat has sailed in the UFC with the 2 brutal back-to-back losses.

Her holes in fighting have been exposed by Holm and Nunes, so there's no point in her taking another fight in the UFC.

1 hour ago, JCM said:

I'm guessing Rousey still has fights on her UFC contract. Maybe Dana would let her do a match if he got to use Brock again.

Ronda does have fights on her UFC contract, but she's a UFC darling and one of Dana's favs. so I'm sure if she asked, she would be granted to do whatever she wanted to.

Dana has said he doesn't expect Rousey to fight again in UFC.  I expect he wouldn't block her doing WWE if UFC can get some publicity out of it.  If she really isn't intending to fight again, she's more useful to UFC doing something that gets them publicity vs doing modeling gigs/public appearances/whatever else she is doing that is off most people's radar.

I'd have preferred Viper or Toni Storm in the finals vs. Kari, but I get that Shayna Baszler has more upside than anyone in the tournament, for obvious reasons.  That said, Vince's attempts to legitimize his athletes alongside "real" athletes and celebrities have a history of looking desperate and pitiful.  I doubt booking WWE's Horsewomen to beat down Dana's Horsewomen would gain him much legitimacy with non-fans (of wrestling).  Things like that, or wrestlers vs. football players, men vs. women in tennis or basketball, McGregor vs. Mayweather, etc., tend to get looked at as spectacles.  Did Kevin Green or Dennis Rodman make WCW any more popular or legitimate?  Nope.  Did Ali fighting Inoki legitimize wrestling?  God, no.  The match was a farce and Inoki's tactics of kicking Ali's legs made him look like a coward who couldn't go toe to toe with Ali (Bret Hart said in his book that Ali's people threatened Inoki's life if he tried to wrestle or brawl with Ali).

I don't think the tournament is going to be any more of a footnote when all is said and done.  Probably will get Baszler rocketed to the main roster.  I doubt it generates the interest the CWC or UK tourneys did.  Who knows?  Maybe Vince can pull off 4H vs. 4H.  It seems like it is going to get a few people in the door with WWE, so that may be enough.  Guessing Viper has signed since they renamed her.  I'm all for that.