DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC DISCUSSION (NO SPOILERS)

RIPPA

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No - they announced from the start that they were releasing in clusters. They were all PEOPLE LIKE TO BINGE WATCH SO HERE YA GO!!!!

I think the new commentary is to further something they decided to push after the fact (I have a feeling I will get a better sense once I watch the episodes)

Yeah, people like to binge watch and it's also the fact that Triple H said that as the weeks went on during the CWC viewership numbers continued to drop.

Lita is definitely playing the role that Daniel Bryan from the CWC.   Bryan wasn't really that good but he was so excited watching and really know his stuff that it was passable.  the less said about JR the better

I thought the matches were in the good to really damn good category with the exception of Marti Belle vs Rachel Evers.   

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also - I haven't watch them yet - but the general consensus seems to be that the commentary is as big a dumpster fire as we all expected it to be

It's definitely not good, but I have to say that with the quality of the wrestling and the crowd noise it didn't really mess up my experience all that much. I'm not saying we shouldn't expect the biggest wrestling company in the world to provide better, but I've watched enough indie wrestling videos with shrill screaming and unfunny inside jokes as commentary that generic JR is pretty easy to tune out at this point.

• Like 1

Between the dead, poorly lit crowds, lack of aesthetics, terrible commentary and the not-ready-for-tv talent this is easily the most low-rent production they've ever done.

The video packages are fine but reduce every competitor to like one defining characterisic. 

This is prettt much a misfire.

I'm through Episode 1 and my goodness is the commentary awful. Lita stammers and doesn't seem to know what to say, as if -- SHOCKING -- she has no color commentary experience. She dropped a "Samoan heritage" reference on a headbutt in one match. Yikes. 

JR...man. I didn't hear his NJPW G1 Special commentary as I attended the show, but I listened to him on a podcast issue a mea culpa, which was actually just burying NJPW staff for not using bleachers or giving him enough detail in production meetings, and implying Tama Tonga was classless for calling him out. On the MYC, he's going through the motions -- if you played a drinking game taking a shot for every use of "fundamentals" or "fundamentally sound," you'd get alcohol poisoning -- and shoehorning in unfunny jokes. 

I grew up hearing Keith Jackson call college football. By the mid-2000s, it was apparent he reached his twilight. The USC-Texas national championship game was a final, big stage for Keith to ride off into the sunset. Roman-Taker should have been that for JR. I feel events like G1 Special and the Mae Young Classic should be for either people intimately familiar with the product or as a platform for up-and-coming talent. Keith wasn't working MAC games on Tuesday nights after that Rose Bowl. 

• Like 1

I finished the first round earlier today. Thought it was good on the whole. Most of the matches were decent to good with only one being particularly bad. None of PC looked too bad with several showings tons of potential. I semi-tuned out the commentary though from what I caught JR was terrible as I expected while Lita got better as the tournament went on. They really should have had Graves call this over JR. He likely knows more about the talent and and is friends with Lita. He probably could have gotten a lot more out of her.

Even with the bad commentary I'm looking forward to the rest of the tournament.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, The Comedian said:

Boy, they're really running with pronouncing it "Sane" and not "Sah-nay"...

I know, right? Kairi even pronounced it English-ly in one of the video packages. We've already got Sami Zayn. They have to change it.

Also, Ronda Rousey might be one of the most unnatural and stilted promos I've ever witnessed in my life. Even her body language while watching Shayna was bad in a way that's hard to process. I hope the WWE knows what they're getting in to. After all, she's only here because acting didn't work out.

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Also, Ronda Rousey might be one of the most unnatural and stilted promos I've ever witnessed in my life. Even her body language while watching Shayna was bad in a way that's hard to process. I hope the WWE knows what they're getting in to. After all, she's only here because acting didn't work out.

Put her with Heyman and let the rest sort itself out.

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:
On 9/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, The Comedian said:

Boy, they're really running with pronouncing it "Sane" and not "Sah-nay"...

I know, right? Kairi even pronounced it English-ly in one of the video packages. We've already got Sami Zayn. They have to change it.

This is one of the weirdest cases of WWE naming yet. They could have given her just about any Japanese surname that sounded nice enough, but instead they went with an English word that bears no relation to her character, and that instantly reminds you of another wrestler (Sami Zayn) and a stable (Sanity) that have nothing to do with her. Completely bewildering.

• Like 1

Meltzer says that the Finals is scheduled to be a 30 minute show but can go as long as necessary to fit everything in.

It will only be the Finals and no other matches (as part of the MYC show - 205 Live will still air after it)

For those unaware, they aired a 20 minute recap special after Raw that included the six woman tag from the tapings (Santana/Marti Belle/Sarah Logan vs. Jazzy/Tessa/Kay Lee Ray). Pretty fun little tag with Jazzy of course being mega over. Thought Kay Lee and Tessa both looked excellent again as well, big fan of both.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

For those unaware, they aired a 30 minute recap special after Raw that included the six woman tag from the tapings (Santana/Marti Belle/Sarah Logan vs. Jazzy/Tessa/Kay Lee Ray). Pretty fun little tag with Jazzy of course being mega over. Thought Kay Lee and Tessa both looked excellent again as well, big fan of both.

Just came to post this, really fun match.  The crowd chanting for Jazzy afterwards and Triple H's response made me laugh loudly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

For those unaware, they aired a 20 minute recap special after Raw that included the six woman tag from the tapings (Santana/Marti Belle/Sarah Logan vs. Jazzy/Tessa/Kay Lee Ray). Pretty fun little tag with Jazzy of course being mega over. Thought Kay Lee and Tessa both looked excellent again as well, big fan of both.

Yea, really cool tag match and thought all of the women looked good.

• Like 1