DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC DISCUSSION (NO SPOILERS)

RIPPA

He joked that it cost them a lot of money to sign Cedric like that and he is on a budget this time.   

Really good finals match.   Sane should have won although with the Rousey connection I wasn't sure.   Maybe Shayna losing builds whatever angle they have with Rousey.   

It's probably better that they didn't do a post match angle because it would have pretty much overshadowed Sane winning.  Good match if not a bit rushed.  I liked the story that Shayna had Sane scouted and was cutting her off at every turn.  Sane totally won over the crowd though.  Only thing missing was Kairi give an impassioned 15 minute promo.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It might just be me finding Madusa weird to begin with

Ding Ding Ding!  I was kinda wondering why you Madusa being weird was noteworthy.  Pretty much everything I've seen/heard/read about her in the past fifteen years has convinced me she's a kinda odd.

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Ding Ding Ding!  I was kinda wondering why you Madusa being weird was noteworthy.  Pretty much everything I've seen/heard/read about her in the past fifteen years has convinced me she's a kinda odd.

I like Madusa but yeah, she's definitely a kook lol 

Quick Reference from Meltzer (via the newest WON) on everyone's status after the tournament

(I am breaking them into groups but the order is just the order he listed them in)

ALREADY SIGNED

• Vanessa Bourne
  • Shayna Baszler (her signing isn't technically confirmed but Dave said he would be shocked if she isn't already signed)
  • Zeda
  • Sarah Logan
  • Xia Li
  • Rhea Ripley
  • Abby Laith
  • Dakota Kai
  • Kavita Devi
  • Bianca Belair
  • Sage Beckett
  • Lacey Evans
  • Taynara Conti
  • Reina Gonzalez
  • Kairi Sane

MOST LIKELY ALREADY HAVE AN OFFER

• Piper Niven
  • Mercedes Martinez
  • Candice LeRae
  • Jazzy Gabert (Might already be signed but Dave wasn't 100% sure)
  • Toni Storm

Note: Niven, Martinez and LeRae were all brought in for the Finals which Dave considers a very good sign. He was surprised Gabert wasn't brought in for finals but thought it might be is they were afraid she would be the most overperson and didn't want to detract from finals. Storm will definitely be a given an offer. Whether she accepts it is a different story. Candice LeRae could also fall into next category.

INDIE PEOPLE WHO LIKE IN FLORIDA THAT THEY HAVE KNOWN ABOUT AND MIGHT BE USED FROM TIME TO TIME

• Santana Garrett
  • Rachael Evers
  • Tessa Blanchard

Note: Dave believes Blanchard would be the most likely to get an offer. But again they have known about her for awhile and haven't signed her and wasn't brought in for the final

UNLIKELY TO BE SIGNED

• Princesa Sugehit
  • Kay Lee Ray
  • Renee Michelle
  • Marti Belle
  • Ayesha Raymond
  • Serena Deeb

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Mia Yim - Dave thinks it is all about the contract as they have a number in their head about the contract and it is basically whether Yim thinks it is worth it or not (or can she make more on indies, etc...)
  • Nicole Savoy - Didn't hear much re: Savoy but what he heard was positive. Seems that her knee surgery is scaring them off for the moment.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

He was surprised Gabert wasn't brought in for finals but thought it might be is they were afraid she would be the most overperson and didn't want to detract from finals.

Sounds like some typical uninformed and speculative Dave nonsense - the Finals were at SmackDown, not Full Sail.

A little sad to see KLR isn't likely to be signed yet happy at the same time since I want to see more of her in Stardom

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Has there been any (or any more) talk of a women's show on the network? Projecting towards the main roster, that's a lot of women for not much airtime. 

Don't think there has been. HHH did mention that the reason he can't answer on whether or not the MYC will be an annual tournament is because the last time he thought he had one in the CWC Vince approached him a month later for 205Live. Its basically wait and see at this point.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

I think I read somewhere that Toni Storm was under contract with Stardom which would explain her not being signed yet.

They announced her as joining the roster last year around this time, but a Stardom employee on here said she wasn't actually contracted. Stardom promotes & pushes her more than other gaijin, but she isn't exactly Kris Wolf who actually lives and trains in Japan. Toni isn't a part of of any of the stables and has only really teamed with other gaijin.

There's only about 8-10 spots on both main roster shows for the women. I really don't see anyone retiring soon unless Nattie wanted to leave. I just don't know what they're going to do with everybody. NXT is only an hour so that limits them to 5 or 6 women in the mix at a time. It seems like they are in budget cut mode so I don't see a new show for the women being added.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Fortunate for us who enjoy watching her wrestle though. She's still only 25 and is getting better all the time.

Fight Network got rid of ICW, and I have no desire to spend any more money on wrestling. Cuts into my beer money, so her being signed to NXT would have worked much better for me.

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Has there been any (or any more) talk of a women's show on the network? Projecting towards the main roster, that's a lot of women for not much airtime. 

Y'know even as recently as three years ago I'd have said the idea was absurd, that a womens' wrestling show played straight just couldn't work in the US marketplace... Now, I'm not so sure... I don't want to get my hopes up, but maybe, just maybe the time is right...

So jazzed to hear that Rhea Ripley and Dakota Kai were signed.

I'm hoping Toni Storm is just finishing up her obligations before signing because her zaniness would be a breath of fresh air to the serious bizness. Or she can be like Ibushi and prefer not to be tied down :(

Their continued reluctance on signing Garrett is puzzling to me, but I am sure lots of factors go into it.

I hope they do have some kind of concrete plans for what do with this well spring of new talent. I mean some of them will just be working at the developmental center, but more are ready to go right now.

• Like 1