DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - FIRST ROUND RESULTS (SPOILERS)

RIPPA

These are the results from the first day of Tapings - which was only the first round

Per PWI

Mae Young Classic

Episode 1:

- Princesa Sugehit defeated Kay Lee Ray.

- Serena Deeb defeated Vanessa Borne.

- Shayna Baszler defeated Zeda.

- Piper Niven defeated Santana Garrett.

Episode 2:

- Mia Yim defeated Sarah Logan.

- Mercedes Martinez defeated Xia Li.

- Rhea Ripley defeated Miranda Salinas.

- Abbey Laith defeated Jazzy Gabert.

Episode 3:

- Toni Storm defeated Ayesha Raymond.

- Dakota Kai defeated Kavita Devi.

- Candice LeRae defeated Renee Michelle.

- Rachel Evers defeated Marti Belle.

Episode 4:

- Bianca Belair defeated Sage Beckett.

- Lacey Evans defeated Taynara Conti.

- Nicole Savoy defeated Reins Gonzalez.

- Kairi Sane defeated Tessa Blanchard.

*Shinsuke Nakamura, Alexa Bliss, Natalya and Beth Phoenix were sitting ringside for the fourth episode.  Thanks to Jorge Figueroa.

This concludes the first round and the first taping night.

Per WON (link includes JJ's pictures)

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-mae-young-classic-taping-spoilers-tournament-begins-239201

- It was announced that first round matches would have a 15-minute time limit.

- Princesa Sugehit defeated Kay Lee Ray

Kay Lee Ray missed a swanton off the top and Sugehit locked in and cranked an armbar for the win.

- Serena Deeb defeated Vanessa Borne

Borne hit a Samoan drop for a near fall, but Deeb ended up winning with a spear.

- Shayna Baszler defeated Zeda

The MMA Four Horsewomen were in the front row supporting Baszler. She won with a choke-out submission.

- Piper Niven defeated Santana Garrett

This was an excellent match. They tore the house down and countered huge moves before Niven won with a Michinoku driver.

- Mia Yim defeated Sarah Logan

The crowd loved Yim and she got the victory with Eat Defeat.

- Mercedes Martinez defeated Xia Li

A dragon sleeper by Martinez finished this one.

- Rhea Ripley defeated Miranda Salinas

Ripley hit an uranage to move on to the next round.

- Abbey Laith defeated Jazzy Gabert

The crowd erupted for Gabert's strength and no-selling early. She went for a powerbomb, but Laith rolled through to steal the win. The audience loved Gabert here.

- Toni Storm defeated Ayesha Raymond

Raymond missed a splash and Storm rolled her up in a pinning combination.

- Dakota Kai defeated Kavita Devi

A running corner kick and a top rope double foot stomp by Kai ended this one.

- Candice LeRae defeated Renee Michelle

LeRae hit a middle rope swinging neckbreaker to advance.

- Rachael Evers defeated Marti Belle

They traded big moves late in the match. There was a spinebuster, a mind trip, and a suplex driver before Evers pinned Belle with a small package.

- Bianca Belair defeated Sage Beckett

A spear got the win for Belair.

- Lacey Evans defeated Taynara Conti

This match had an impressive finish, with Evans using a cradle belly-to-back piledriver.

- Nicole Savoy defeated Reina Gonzalez

Savoy submitted her with an armbar.

- Kairi Sane defeated Tessa Blanchard

They had a great match. Sane showed so much personality and won with her famous flying elbow drop.

A few random comments from me

Notice what Hojo won with :)

The most "surprising result to me is Sarah Logan losing in the first round. I mean I was pretty sure Mia Yim would advance but it would be over one of the random folks from like China or Brazil. I guess they figure she is the vet and if they want to use her beyond a "Female Oney Lorcan" it will be easy to rehab where they need to showcase Lacey Evans and Bianca Blair

2nd surprising would be Jazzy Gabert out in the first round - well to anyone other than Piper Niven. I figured that would have been a perfect matchup either in the 1st or 2nd round. Oh well.

I am still thinking Kay Lee Ray was one of the alternates who got added at the last moment and hence why she was 1st round fodder. There was no way Princesa Sugehit was losing in the first round so I don't think that really should be taken as an indictment of how they feel towards Ray.

The one "good" thing about them releasing the episodes all together is no worries about taping out of order (which they did for the first round of the CWC)

Only name I'm surprised moved on was Ripley, who I know next to nothing about. Everyone else made a lot of sense. You needed some good established women to go out round 1 to have some stuff to really watch in the first round. Ray going down in the opener, Santana having a great match to help put over Piper, and Blanchard getting the Kairi showcase seems like a good use of them to me

Matchups for the second round:

Princesa Sugehit vs. Serena Deeb

Shayna Baszler vs. Piper Niven

Mia Yim vs. Mercedes Martinez

Rhea Ripley vs. Abbey Laith

Toni Storm vs. Dakota Kai

Candice LeRae vs. Rachel Evers

Bianca Belair vs. Lacey Evans

Nicole Savoy vs. Kairi Sane

I'd say Deeb, Baszler, Yim and Sane are almost certainties and Laith very likely. I'm assuming Storm hasn't signed since she's using her indie name, so Kai most likely wins,same with Evers over Candice. Belair and Evans is a toss-up, Evans has been featured more, but Belair has more potential.

That's if they follow their taping order.

Unless they showed brackets in house - which I haven't seen anyone say they did.

Only reason I say that is when they taped the CWC - the matches weren't done in order of the bracketing

4 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Hide contents

Only name I'm surprised moved on was Ripley, who I know next to nothing about. Everyone else made a lot of sense. You needed some good established women to go out round 1 to have some stuff to really watch in the first round. Ray going down in the opener, Santana having a great match to help put over Piper, and Blanchard getting the Kairi showcase seems like a good use of them to me

Why are you using spoiler text in a spoiler thread?

Ripley is Demi Bennett, a young Aussie who reported to NXT recently.

I'm thinking KLR was the replacement for Nixon Newell.

44 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Why are you using spoiler text in a spoiler thread?

Ripley is Demi Bennett, a young Aussie who reported to NXT recently.

I'm thinking KLR was the replacement for Nixon Newell.

Cause some people go through there unread content, and that's gonna spoil them if they don't want to be spoiled.

6 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Cause some people go through there unread content, and that's gonna spoil them if they don't want to be spoiled.

While I appreciate the thought - if someone is concerned about spoilers (in any subject) they shouldn't be using "unread content"

Surprised Alpha Female jobbed/  Thought they'd put someone strong over the "monster heel" in a later round.

- Candice LeRae defeated Renee Michelle

LeRae hit a middle rope swinging neckbreaker to advance.

Mustache drop?

I was surprised that Kay Lee and jazzy lost. I guess some people had to lose for the shock value. Jazzy was really over with the crowd. Also, I gotta think Santana and Piper will get contracts after that match. Reminded me of the Cedric/Kota match although not as good. Crowd went nuts for them. The only bad matches of the night I'm we're Rachel/marti, Serena/borne and savoy/Reina. Mostly because the rookies weren't any good but that's to be expected. The night exceeded my expectations and was one of my fave shows I've been to since I started going to full sail. Hope jr and Lita don't hurt it with bad commentary and editing.

It was a silly rumor in the first place. Sad the KLR lost but not surprised, seemed like she was a late entry just with how it was announced, maybe she filled in for Newell. Hope she at least got a chance to look good before defeat, same with Alpha Female.

A few surprises for me too. I was sure that Logan, along with Belair, was going to be one of the PC girls to make it the furthest. Also surprised that Santana and KLR were knocked out first round.

I think Dakota is the one to watch. Much like Billie Kay, I always wondered what took the WWE so long to finally sign her. 

The wait for this stuff to air is going to be murder lol 

KLR and Jazzy out in the first round is a waste to me. I'm glad most of the PC talent lost. I find it interesting that all of the taller monster types were eliminated while Viper succeeded. She is better than any of them from what I've seen so I'm not really complaining.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

KLR and Jazzy out in the first round is a waste to me. I'm glad most of the PC talent lost. I find it interesting that all of the taller monster types were eliminated while Viper succeeded. She is better than any of them from what I've seen so I'm not really complaining.

Viper got a new name, so unlike the others she's almost certainly signed.

Someone posted these and they check out with the first matches taped:

Rachael Evers v Abbey
Piper Nevin v Serena Deeb
Princesa Sugehit v Mercedes Martinez
Kairi Sane v Bianca Bel Air
Toni Storm v Lacey Evans
Mia Yim v Shayna Baszler
Rhea Ripley v Evie 
Candice v Nicole Savoy

First two are right, and they're taping the third match now. Is match #8 the only one where the result isn't obvious? Maybe 3 as well depending on how much they want to push Sugehit.

I am happy that Piper is using the Michinoku Driver as her finisher because it looks totally fucking brutal and she hits it seamlessly.

I am not so happy for the ladies that will get crushed by this move as Niven advances through the bracket.