DVDVR Message Board

Raw is THAT PROMO - 7/10/2017

Dolfan in NYC

Joe being angrier than a motherfucker has always been money on mic and in ring. 

Except for the Nation of Violence thing, but whatever. 

Joe and Brock looked like they legit wanted to come to blows. Also, this is why the PG era is good - when people actually get to cussing, it actually has some impact. There was some kid in the front row who was shocked when Brock dropped that S-bomb, like he couldn't believe it and he just knew things were going to escalate. 

I'll have to see whatever match comes of this someday. The last time I saw Joe this intense, he tried to turn Finn Balor and some random security guy into two matching puddles of grease. 

• Like 2

I would actually go for that sort of match again with Joe vs Brock or Joe vs Roman where the ref and doctor keeps stopping it to let the crowd build into a "LET THEM FIGHT" frenzy. And when they do get back to fighting, they just both immediately get into dropping bombs on each other. Maybe I'm in the minority on that Joe vs Finn match, but on re-watches, I really like it. Both guys clearly want to fuck each other up and when the ref and doctors get out of the way, that's exactly what they wind up doing. Even Shane's kids were chanting "BULLSHIT" before going nuts when the two were allowed to fight again.

• Like 1

You ever hear a review of a film and someone points out that a certain character or actor "was like he was in a different movie?"  That's Roman here.  Two badass shitkkickers about to kill each other, and then poochie there off to the side, doing his best blue steel expression and being like "pfft, whatever."  Jesus H Christ was Roman exposed there.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't watch Raw - did they make a number one contender's match between Joe and Roman? If so, did they make any effort to explain why Roman would be ahead of Braun in line when he just lost to him?

Yes. It's a #1 contender's match next week between Joe and Roman.

Also, silly you. Of course they wouldn't explain why either guy is ahead of Braun.

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't watch Raw - did they make a number one contender's match between Joe and Roman? If so, did they make any effort to explain why Roman would be ahead of Braun in line when he just lost to him?

They mentioned Braun beating Roman but Braun isn't around to fight because he's up in the mountains eating bear meat to regenerate a new eye. He'll return and let the pretenders know he's not finished with them yet.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You ever hear a review of a film and someone points out that a certain character or actor "was like he was in a different movie?"  That's Roman here.  Two badass shitkkickers about to kill each other, and then poochie there off to the side, doing his best blue steel expression and being like "pfft, whatever."  Jesus H Christ was Roman exposed there.

That's totally spot on. It also makes me think that if and when they get to Roman vs Cena, Cena is going to absolutely eviscerate Roman. That is going to be ugly as fuck. Cena on the mic can go in so many directions that it'll make Roman dizzy. Part of what turned me around on Cena, beyond the Miz feud, was the second time around with the Rock. When they first dueled on the mic, there was this sense that, oh shit, Cena might not be on the Rock's level. The second time around though, Cena murdered the Rock week in and week out. If Roman can't not look like a dope when Joe and Brock are out there, what the fuck is he going to do when he's in the ring with a guy like Cena who can be a total Terminator?

• Like 1

BTW, kinda like the "Blood from a stone" Steve Austin shirt, I want them to do a Braun shirt with Braun's bloodied face. Hell, even do it in a graffiti or OBEY sort of way. And don't fucking put anything on the back of the shirt unless it's not dorky.

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

For fucks sake. The guy is a on a losing streak and comes out to say that he's challenging for the world title. In what fucking world does that make the slightest bit of sense?

I really don't understand the point of contender's matches in WWE since you can generally just show up one week, demand a match, and get a match on the spot.  Or at least at the end of the show.  There are so many arbitrary ways to get a match - including showing up to point out you once beat one of the wrestlers in a #1 contenders match - that the match is meaningless.  Honestly, if I was a wrestler, I'd think long and hard about a contender's match.  Why wrestle Roman Reigns to earn a title shot if I can just walk into the ring during a tv taping and get a title shot just cause I demand one.

18 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Nope that I remember.

• Like 1

"This guy just doesn't give two shits" is not  a money gimmick.  As a matter of fact, outside of "he has good hair, looks like Lorenzo Lamas circa Renegade, and Vince wants to fuck him," I doubt any of the writers have any idea what Roman is supposed to be.  I think we're years past the time when somebody should have realized that he would not stay over at the level of the Shield just because he got to keep all the Shield iconography.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

They mentioned Braun beating Roman but Braun isn't around to fight because he's up in the mountains eating bear meat to regenerate a new eye. He'll return and let the pretenders know he's not finished with them yet.

Can't beat 'em, attempt vehicular homicide on them and make the excuse well they aren't here so that means I am the top dog.

In fact, did anyone buy that argument Roman made? Like the worst thing Brock Lesner ever did in the "attitude era" was throw Zach Gowan down stairs. It is like his hindsight is fucked up and thinks everyone in the attitude era was Kane and the Undertaker. The people who did commit murder or attempt it were complete psychopaths or Stone Cold and none of them did so because they were outsmarted and outmaneuvered. Fuck it, Roman is a heel because he took that shit too far to be seen as retribution. Yeah, Braun loves beating the ever loving shit out of him, but vehicular homicide? Naw, that is some Randy Orton type shit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I think the flaw with Roman is that he's basically a killer that is very confident in his ability, but this also means he plays everything off like he's too cool so he can appeal to kids instead of being the Kraven The Hunter that he is. Him losing it and deciding "I need to run this fucking ambulance into a truck and kill this guy," is a great character development. I like the idea of him being this dude who sees people as animals that need to be put down. Undertaker? Too Old. Put him down. Strowman? Too wild. Put him down. Samoa Joe? Trying to take my spot. Put him down. 

I like that about him.  Joe and Brock are yelling and bucking up.  Meanwhile Roman's playing the back, laughing about how easy it's going to be to take down these bastards as he loads his guns. When you know you've got the biggest dick in the room, you need not resort to dick measuring.

I agree about his confidence. Which is why when he does full-on snap at times, it's fascinating to watch.  Because he literally doesn't care about life or limb. The Big Dog becomes the Hell Hound, and no one is safe.

If anything, they should play more to the two-sided parts of his character.  Most of the time, Roman's a gruff but reasonable guy.  Wants to win, but doesn't cheat to get ahead.  Reasonably level-headed.  But then he goes berserk, and he literally tries to kill people. That no one has ever picked up on his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde act is a missed opportunity.

Everybody wants to complain about Roman just looks to take a spot.  Shit, that's how someone gets ahead in WWE.  They've done that for over 20 years, don't get mad because Reigns learned how the game is played. It's why I liked the Attitude Era crack.  Nothing he did should shock them, they've all done it before or at least seen it be done.  Where's the lie? Braun has literally tipped over an ambulance with Roman strapped to a gurney in it, and that doesn't count for at least attempted manslaughter?  Come on.

Roman the Bounty Hunter would be cool.   He just wants to win and collect a few pelts for his trophy case.  HHH, Undertaker, whoever else.  Gotta go above Roman's mantle.  Always business, nothing personal.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Roman the Bounty Hunter would be cool.   He just wants to win and collect a few pelts for his trophy case.  HHH, Undertaker, whoever else.  Gotta go above Roman's mantle.  Always business, nothing personal.

Leo Kruger called.  He wants his gimmick back.

• Like 1

Just now, nate said:

And really, the "retribution" here equates to "I was a dumb as and cost myself the match, so fuck Bronze!"

Eh, Braun did something similar at Fastlane.  Went for broke, got caught, and still kept after Roman.  Which makes Psycho Roman hilarious to me.  He's a menace, and he's too far gone to even realize it.  Dude thinks he's justified and no one calls him out on it, so he keeps going.

After some consideration, I think Samoa Joe could be the closest they get to another Daniel Bryan-style swell of popularity these days. He's half-way between the everyman analog Bryan was and the idealized ass kicker Steve Austin was. He's just a regular guy, but he's the toughest regular guy there is and he's not afraid of anybody, while still being an underdog. Plus Joe already has the air of someone who worked for everything he got and maybe wasn't supposed to get as far as he has. Place that against genetic lottery winners like Braun and Brock and the walking representation of tone deaf creative that is Roman Reigns and you have the chance for something special.

But as Matt D said, we've been conditioned to be cynical. I'm just trying not to be.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, Brock was damn good on Sunday when Joe was on offense. But the "all suplexes, all the time" gimmick has only worked twice (vs Cena and at WM). At least throw in a few different suplexes.

That is what I have been wanting. He use to have great offense. 

Honestly beyond being too damn long, I have been very happy with Raw.  I see a match like Joe vs Reigns last month that was my match of the year and I think its greedy to want more. They gave three feud I was invested in. It would be a really good two hour show and great as one hour. If they got rid of the brand split it would be a good three hour show.

Yeah, Brock used to mix in a lot of good strikes (even ignoring the ones where he hard-ways guys on purpose), I have no idea why he's gotten away from that. I guess it could be people not wanting to get stiffed by Brock, which is reasonable, but damn it would make even his house show matches a lot better.

Anyway, good promo as everyone has said. I'd love to see Braun come back next week and cost Roman so Joe and Brock can finish things right, but a 4-way isn't the worst idea ever. I'd like to see Brock and Braun mix it up some after their brief Rumble encounter.

Also, did Bray Wyatt just win a feud? Looks like their moving Seth on to the Miz.

51 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I want Cass to succeed, but his voice makes him sound like the World's Tallest Dork.

Being the world's tallest stand-up comic worked for Big Sexy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nate said:

And really, the "retribution" here equates to "I was a dumb as and cost myself the match, so fuck Bronze!"

Braun put the man into an ambulance, then flipped the fucking thing. WWE creative finally remembers something that happened more than three weeks ago, and then the fans who like to shit on everything forget about it.

• Like 3