DVDVR Message Board

Raw is THAT PROMO - 7/10/2017

Dolfan in NYC

1. Joe is the best.

2. HHH knows that obsessive maniacs still complain about how the love triangle with him , Steph, and Angle went. And he was smart to not do it and pull strings, cause those types of angles NEVER end well. Just ask Kevin Sullivan and John Tatum and again, if it isn't obvious enough,Kevin Sullivan.

Now, since enough time has passed and Angle is a recovering addict who looks like a giant thumb with a confused face, let's finish this.

*without reading thread*
Strowman interferes next week, they make it a four-way, Reigns beats Joe to win the belt at Summer Slam, Lesnar doesn't have to take a fall.

• Like 1

Agreed with all the love for the Joe/Brock/Reigns promo, and Angle was great in it too. Kurt's awesome in his role. Definitely hope Joe stays in the mix after that and doesn't just lose to Reigns next week.

After loving Alexa/Sasha last night, I hoped for a better follow up but instead it went back in the opposite direction. The usual make Alexa look weak on the weekly and sticking to positioning Sasha as the sidekick who doesn't even get the pin despite being in the feud, beyond sick of bayley.

Surprised to see the Hardys lose relatively quick to Gallows & Anderson but enjoyed Matt's pre match promo. Even more surprised to see Rollins drop back to back losses to Wyatt after being able to beat HHH & Joe on one leg, looks like he has Dean's luck with Wyatt. Figured Seth and Dean will be teaming up again soon. Thought Goldust/Truth was a solid 5 mins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Just watched the promo segment between Brock Lesnar (seeing him speak instead of Paul) Roman Reigns and Samoa Joe. That was awesome, don't need to see anything else.

I woke my wife up watching it. I was popping so hard throughout it. She rolled over in bed and said, "must be good." Then I answered..............

god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

So Braun is going to interfere in Joe/Roman and give us a 4 way for Summerslam right?

Whatever prominent dirtsheet that isn't Meltzer's (PWInsider?) said, after GBOF, that the current plan for SummerSlam is Joe/Braun/Reigns/Lesnar for the Universal Title.

8 hours ago, Victator said:

Brock works pretty hard in regards to bumping and selling. But he has given up when it comes to offense. 

Yeah, Brock was damn good on Sunday when Joe was on offense. But the "all suplexes, all the time" gimmick has only worked twice (vs Cena and at WM). At least throw in a few different suplexes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

@Matt D Well, I'm still excited about Joe, but you probably would have won that bet.

I don't remember if I saw here or elsewhere people jumping to "So Joe's added to the match so that Reigns can pin him and not Brock." very quickly. And as much as @Johnny Sorrow might complain about those people, they've been conditioned that way by years and years and years of WWE booking and priorities. This is the company that consistently buries people in their hometown, that just lost/fired/etc. Austin Aries who could have been a new talent gatekeeper for the next five years at the very worst (which is something they really need) because they couldn't look past his size, that has given us multiple PPVs in a row with almost all heel wins, that has gone back in so many ways to the idea that all females are catty and crazy, that has weird hang-ups over certain words or things being too southern or tournaments not working because WM4 didn't draw so well. This is the company that has tried to get away from wrestlers reacting to losses like they matter because it somehow negatively impacts "everyone being entertained."

Maybe on twitter or reddit it's different, but I don't know a single person here that would rather hatewatch something than actually and actively love what they're watching. There's such an abusive relationship people have with WWE because in a lot of ways it's the only game in town, certainly the biggest game, and we all have a spattering of great formative memories and maybe less great recent ones, but they stand out all the more for their rarity and just how serene and transcendent GOOD pro wrestling can be in moving us. We stay because there's not really anywhere else on the same level to go, nothing else that feels as important (and something feeling important is pretty much the most important thing in a social sense), nothing else that lets us so thoroughly be part of a community. And the company craps on its fans again and again. Now, too, the fanbase is so schismed, that even if they wanted to please most people (and they don't; they want to please one person first and foremost), they couldn't. 

So yeah, I'm definitely glad that Joe was given a chance to shine last night. He made the best of it, of course he did, but it's so hard not to be cynical after years and years of this stuff. In fact, if you're not being cynical, you're setting yourself up to be burned (again). Even the stuff that's good is flawed relative to what it could be (when I pressed someone on the flaws about Brock vs Joe, they replied back that "it's the best they could have done," as if that was somehow supposed to make it okay that they weren't given an environment and the direction to have something actually better). 

6e3455e981f8727031a41a6fa663ac44--charli

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

After loving Alexa/Sasha last night, I hoped for a better follow up but instead it went back in the opposite direction. The usual make Alexa look weak on the weekly and sticking to positioning Sasha as the sidekick who doesn't even get the pin despite being in the feud, beyond sick of bayley.

This was everything I didn't want to see last night. I don't want Bayley scoring a pin and muddying the title picture. I want a sequel to the hatred that is Sasha/Alexa. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jamal said:

This was everything I didn't want to see last night. I don't want Bayley scoring a pin and muddying the title picture. I want a sequel to the hatred that is Sasha/Alexa. 

It's Big 4 PPV time so I bet they're building to the usual multi-woman get everyone on the show match.

2 hours ago, Jamal said:

It's participation trophy time because we can't leave Nia and Bayley off a big 4 show, and the division doesn't warrant a second match on the show. This formula really stinks, and is only holding the division back imo. With the Universal title looking like it'll be a four way I really hope they don't go that direction for the women's title. Let Sasha and Alexa have a big singles match.

• Like 1

Reigns is such the odd man out in that promo that I almost feel bad for him.  Lesnar, Joe, and Heyman are in the Super Bowl and he's playing Pop Warner.  Vince must be pissed because that promo did not make Roman look strong at all.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

I think many of us know it and it doesn't get said much, but Joe has been a top 5 guy on the mic since coming to NXT. Any time he's on the mic, he's a total natural. Everything comes out with a ton of conviction. I never get the sense that he's flubbing lines or anything like that. And he always sounds like a total badass.

Then he comes up to the main roster and he's continued to work the mic like a champ. I don't think there's anyone on Raw who touches him as a complete performer. He can work a long promo, he can work a short promo, and he's top notch in the ring. This Lesnar feud has done even more to expose Roman as a guy that isn't ready for where they want him to be. Where is that same fire? Where is that same intensity? What about Roman makes anyone think that this guy is going to fight and fuck someone up. Every time Joe touches the mic or the ring he's superfly TNT. He's the guns of the Navarone. A lot like Brock, whenever Joe talks, all of Joe's body language, and everything he does in ring tells me that he's going to beat ass.

Fuck it. Put the title on Joe and do something different for a change. Beyond that, I'm conflicted. I am legit more interested in Roman vs Cena for the title at WM than Roman vs Brock. Roman vs Joe is right up there as well, but how much longer do they have to do Roman vs Cena? If you go with Roman chasing Joe, you can go with Joe as the guy Roman can't beat. Samoan vs Samoan. Roman gets the win over Brock to show he's ready for Joe. Whatever direction they eventually go in, I think Joe needs to win the title. Maybe that's the fan in me talking, but they've done too good of a job with Joe to fuck this up.

Ugh. Yeah. Of course they'll fuck this up.

• Like 7

I'm cool with a Fatal Four Way at Summer Slam. But only if the winner pins Brock. He should be pinned. 

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

it's so hard not to be cynical after years and years of this stuff. In fact, if you're not being cynical, you're setting yourself up to be burned (again). 

At this point it's not really being a cynic, it's being a realist.

I think the flaw with Roman is that he's basically a killer that is very confident in his ability, but this also means he plays everything off like he's too cool so he can appeal to kids instead of being the Kraven The Hunter that he is. Him losing it and deciding "I need to run this fucking ambulance into a truck and kill this guy," is a great character development. I like the idea of him being this dude who sees people as animals that need to be put down. Undertaker? Too Old. Put him down. Strowman? Too wild. Put him down. Samoa Joe? Trying to take my spot. Put him down. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Reigns is such the odd man out in that promo that I almost feel bad for him.  Lesnar, Joe, and Heyman are in the Super Bowl and he's playing Pop Warner.  Vince must be pissed because that promo did not make Roman look strong at all.

Worse than that, it was the return of ultra lame cornball Roman. Whenever he smirks like he does and fires of a one liner, it's like he's saying, "OH YEAH? Uh, well, YOUR MOM!" And if he's not doing that, he's doing the other stupid lame thing where he has NO comeback at all. Someone busts him out and he does the lookaway whatever face because he doesn't have any retort.

I don't get their total inconsistency on Roman. I kinda want them to actually succeed in making him remotely interesting, and all they do is make him look like a total dork. For fucks sake. The guy is a on a losing streak and comes out to say that he's challenging for the world title. In what fucking world does that make the slightest bit of sense? And if you are going to come out and make that sort of proclamation, at least try to come across as remotely convincing.

• Like 4