DVDVR Message Board

No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - Fall 2021

Dolfan in NYC

It isn't so much that he wanted out, he got injured shooting the movie. And worked through it, not entirely voluntarily. And had a hard time keeping his pain meds in order because of how they shoot Bond movies in multiple countries and different medicines are legal or banned in different places, plus you can have a hard time getting them through customs. Then once he'd had surgery and was supposed to rest, he had to go on a long press tour. At the end of which, he made a joke about how he would rather smash a glass on the table and slash his wrists before going through the same experience again. And for some reason, everyone assumed he wasn't joking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

It isn't so much that he wanted out, he got injured shooting the movie. And worked through it, not entirely voluntarily. And had a hard time keeping his pain meds in order because of how they shoot Bond movies in multiple countries and different medicines are legal or banned in different places, plus you can have a hard time getting them through customs. Then once he'd had surgery and was supposed to rest, he had to go on a long press tour. At the end of which, he made a joke about how he would rather smash a glass on the table and slash his wrists before going through the same experience again. And for some reason, everyone assumed he wasn't joking.

Well, he got injured during this one too. So, hopefully it's not quite as bad.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

And had a hard time keeping his pain meds in order because of how they shoot Bond movies in multiple countries and different medicines are legal or banned in different places, plus you can have a hard time getting them through customs.

I find this part a little hard to believe.  There are mark doctors everywhere.  Also, I have to believe most multimillion dollar Hollywood tentpole productions have a guy whose only job is to make sure the drugs arrive on time, every time.  ?

Even with set aside everything Craig said, Spectre was also so very much a "close this chapter" movie, that it felt like nobody expected him to return.

Which is why I'm really curious to see what the fuck this movie will be.

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

There was no way, with Blofeld alive, Specxtre was meant to close anything

James

Hard disagree. Even Bond letting him live was clearly supposed to show him overcoming his base nature and being able to retire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Allegedly the movie starts with Bond retired and someone else using the designation 007.

Yeah, I know.

I'm just saying Spectre was so obviously a "we're wrapping up this version of Bond" movie that I'm curious where they go with the story 

I mean, personally, I'd rather see a self-contained adventure, but they seem afraid to do that (even though Skyfall was the huge hit of this cycle...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Even with set aside everything Craig said, Spectre was also so very much a "close this chapter" movie, that it felt like nobody expected him to return.

Which is why I'm really curious to see what the fuck this movie will be.

In No Time To Die, Bond has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica.  His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:29 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have to watch Spectre again.  I feel like it sucked but I don't remember a damn thing about it. 

James Bond has a fight on a train with a henchman who has a weird body part. I'm not sure what could be better than that!

56 minutes ago, piranesi said:

James Bond has a fight on a train with a henchman who has a weird body part. I'm not sure what could be better than that!

Bautista was really good.

It's really just the third act that goes to shit.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy but I thought a whole lot of Skyfall was a poor Dark Knight remake with 007. When they got to Scotland I thought it picked up quite a bit though. Definitely one of the most overrated Bond movies in my opinion.

Spectre was the one that felt closest to an old Bond movie from the '70s but I really enjoyed most of it and I thought it showed the most growth that the entire franchise had seen in the end. It wasn't perfect, and yeah, the Blofeld stuff was shockingly underwhelming but I thought everything else was great. While this upcoming movie certainly has an air of shoehorning in the quest for more money, I'm interested to see where it goes. All of the Craig movies, even Solace with its great opening sequence, interesting take on Spectre as a shadow government and the ecological stuff in Chile, have had something to offer, and I doubt this one will be a huge miss. (Solace really should've been far more centred around vengeance for Lynd tho; holy fuck did they botch that part hard).

I still liked the car chase even if there were too many cuts and closeups.

I don't know why... Like, I strongly dislike the Bourne shaky cam fights that littered the rest of the movie but I thought the opening sequence worked. ?‍♂️

I think I've watched the movie 3 times, maybe 4 (which, clearly, means I'm an idiot) and there is a moment in it where every single rule of editing and continuity and general common sense leads me to know that Bond just crashed, even though all but the first time I clearly knew he did not. It is just a strikingly badly edited sequence, that is also shot way too close. I fucking hate it more than anything in any other Bond film. Even shit like Die Another Day, A View to a Kill, or Diamonds are Forever don't have any one thing that bad.

• Haha 1

I've come to love the campiness of both View and Diamonds but each year I do my ridiculous Bond marathon I skip Die Another Day and will from here on out. Other than Rosamund Pike it is nothing of value going on and even as a kid I fucking hated it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I've come to love the campiness of both View and Diamonds but each year I do my ridiculous Bond marathon I skip Die Another Day and will from here on out. Other than Rosamund Pike it is nothing of value going on and even as a kid I fucking hated it. 

Die Another Day has a fucking dreadful theme song by Madonna. Don't forget the invisible car as well. 

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Die Another Day and Moonraker are probably the Bond films I hate the most.

I find parts of Moonraker charmingly inept.

Diamonds wouldn't be nearly so terrible if Connery wasn't so clearly bored and uninterested.

• Like 1