DVDVR Message Board

No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - Fall 2021

Dolfan in NYC

On 10/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, Mister TV said:

Am I the only one who loves Tomorrow Never Dies? 

Yes, I think you are.

I've been on a serious horror grind this October.  I will try to get to this before it leaves theaters, but catching Lamb before it leaves my wonderfully disturbing arthouse modern movie theater is a higher priority.  I nearly missed the limited release of Titane, so time is not on my side.

Edited by J.T.

I caught NTTD over the weekend.  Pretty solid entry into the Bond saga.  

I'll just say, my biggest takeaway though....  Daniel Craig really, REALLY didn't want to be Bond any more. Good lord. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Caught it today. Didn't think the third act dragged, didn't have a problem with the run time.

Spoiler

- Considering the trajectory of Craig's Bond it was about as happy an ending as you could hope for.

- With Vesper Lynd coming up so early I thought we might get an Eva Green cameo via the interrogation tape Bond recovered in SPECTRE but it was not to be.

- I was a little annoyed that SPECTRE was so easy to wipe out but those idiots did have a penchant for meeting en masse.

- When Felix died it felt like foreshadowing for Bond as well. He was doomed the second he saw his daughter.

- I do wonder if, since Bond dies here, that future Bond films are just going to be a series of reboots. I always liked that Roger Moore stepped into the role as if it was a continuation of the earlier films. I would prefer they put Bond to bed for awhile and give Lashana Lynch's Nomi a shot but her giving Bond back the 007 designation felt like closing the door on that idea.

Overall it has been a really good series and Craig is easily the best version of Bond but he bowed out at the right time. I would also love to see a series featuring the Paloma character but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by Execproducer

• 2 weeks later...

Solid stuff, but stopped being quite so fun for me in the last act. Spectre really jumped up my rankings on a recent rewatch, and I suspect this might as well. I enjoy some of the trappings of classic Bond used to season Spectre, and enjoyed similar flourishes here.

Spoiler

The heavy musical tip of the cap to On Her Majesty's Secret Service was a good idea.

Love Spectre goons just ready to hassle Bond at the drop of the hat, classic stuff. The goats in the road would normally just be an unexplained contrivance the action would quickly work around. Making it a result of Spectre threatening a dude over the phone was hilarious, Spectre really is everywhere. And I loved the building tension of Craig silently stewing when the car was coming under heavy fire, that was a very well-conceived moment. 

The Jamaica and Havana stuff ruled ass. Lightest on his feet Craig's come across in the entire series. Ana de Armas was fun as hell and didn't overstay her welcome. Having Blofeld present at the Spectre party as a bionic eye sitting on a pillow being attended to by three butlers (!!!) is the kind of over-the-top king shit that some of these Craig movies have been missing. And sad, alone Craig sitting in the life raft is another nice contrast with a scene from an entry from long ago...

Giving Bond a kid in the car with him certainly added an uncomfortable element of danger to the car chase and subsequent game of hide and seek in those foggy woods. 

Movie got a little duller for me once it got to the island. Malek wasn't doing it for me and there was a lot of him there. The action was solid though, particular the long effort it took for Bond to get up that staircase. Weird seeing Bond bite it, don't know how I feel about it. But for an unkillable dinosaur franchise like this, it's nice they tried something different. 

Maybe middle-tier Craig film if I were forced to rank them. Good send-off. 

apparently i didn't post my thoughts (watched it opening weekend):

Spoiler

i quite enjoyed this. They played up the character side as opposed to the action side (a coworker of mine said, "this was a film about Bond getting in touch with his feelings". i definitely wouldn't sum the movie up in that regard, but can see why others would view it that way). I thought it really worked well. Bond having to be himself while also finding himself in unlikely role as family man was a good way to spin the dynamic. The villain's character, backstory, and motivations all fell flat for me. His grand plan didn't make much sense, as the punishment he was dishing out didn't fit the crime he accused the world of. 

i waited until after the credits, looking to see if there was a "James Bond will return...." screen. I was mostly interested to see if they would flip it to say "007 will return....." as a way to transfer the legacy to the new character. I thought she did an excellent job and would tune in to see how she handles the international espionage world. 

should re-watch Spectre. Really liked it when i saw it in theater, but it's obviously now been a few years (SIX YEARS?!?)

• 2 weeks later...

Was talking about this with a friend and we both agreed this was not Bond's best outing.  But, the movie's ending does lead credence to the fan theory of "James Bond" being a code name and there is no real Bond.  

That with original scripted ending of Skyfall:

Spoiler

Skyfall being the home of all the retired 007's.  Supposedly would have had cameos from all the former living Bonds.  

...It is odd how they were telling a personal story across the 5 movies, and yet they weren't.  

After the foul taste of Shang-Chi still fresh on my cinematic palette I finally sat down to watch this and... I loved it! The 2nd best Craig as bond film. I loved all the callbacks and of course the closing credits (and all the other callbacks) were fantastic. Now the next Bond actor can start with a clean slate. Just a really good time watching a movie.

James

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

James Bond just straight up gangsta popping Safin right before the end was the best.  

I have reversed course.  Fuck Oasis.  Portishead is the bad that should've made a Bond song but never did.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No Time to Die debuted on Epix over the weekend so those of us who held out for the premium cable release can finally watch it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...