DVDVR Message Board

No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - Fall 2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The whole "James Bond is a codename" thing was never supported by the movies. The dead wife and the family motto have both followed him through various actors.

Fuck I hate that stupid theory.

I don't mean it was ever a good theory for Dr. No - Die Another Day. I just mean that for the first time ever they actually have the chance to implement it, since none of the pre-Craig movies are canon to the Craig story. IF they want continuity between these five movies and the next four or five and not another reboot, AND they want to continue to call them James Bond movies, they kind of have to consider doing that now.

Edited by piranesi

36 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I don't mean it was ever a good theory for Dr. No - Die Another Day. I just mean that for the first time ever they actually have the chance to implement it, since none of the pre-Craig movies are canon to the Craig story. IF they want continuity between these five movies and the next four or five and not another reboot, AND they want to continue to call them James Bond movies, they kind of have to consider doing that now.

Or, and bear with me here, Bond 26 just has a new guy in the same role, and the movie follows from these but each movie is a standalone adventure that doesn't really rely on continuity other than for a few little moments that are nice for fans but not important enough to confuse new viewers.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Or, and bear with me here, Bond 26 just has a new guy in the same role, and the movie follows from these but each movie is a standalone adventure that doesn't really rely on continuity other than for a few little moments that are nice for fans but not important enough to confuse new viewers.

Look, my friend of questionable horror taste, I’m not advocating for this.... it just seems unlikely to me that they aren’t looking at the (kind of shocking when you think back to where the series was) profit of 21-24 and trying to figure out how to keep that going.  And continuity was one factor at least that set these five apart from the rest of the series.

at the very least I think they have some big conceptual decisions to make after 25 beyond just who’s the new Bond unless they take another pretty long hiatus.  I mean, in some ways, going from the amount of narrative continuity from 20-25 and then just suddenly going back to each is a stand-alone adventure would itself be a pretty shocking or jarring move.

one might say the success of these movies has painted them into a corner that isn’t easy to get out of.

Edited by piranesi

I think you are way overestimating their relative success. Skyfall, granted, had the third best adjusted box office, but that's the one with the least continuity. Three out of the four Brosnan films sold more tickets than all three other Craig films domestically, and all four outsold QoS and Spectre, the two that leaned most heavily on continuity.

Edited by Brian Fowler

5 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Unless it happens early in the film and she actually gets killed off midway so Bond can come back for revenge. 

"Fridging" her might be worse than just calling her "Jane Bond". 

I have a feeling this is purely a publicity stunt and that Lynch's 007 will get taken out along the same lines as 009 in Octopussy. Also they could do a "Living Daylights" type scenario where someone whacks all the 00's and they need to bring back Bond to save the day. 

If they really want to shake things up for 26 and beyond is there any chance they end 25 with Craig's Bond becoming the new M? 

If they fridge the first Black 00 lead who also happens to be a woman to being back the old white dude to save the day, just kill the franchise off right there, or better yet, just don't make the damn movie.

My prediction. Lynch's character doesn't get killed off or become a bad guy. She will be shown as Bond's equal and will also be depicted in a heroic way. That's about it.

Edited by TheVileOne

For a loner sociopath, Bond's scooby gang has gotten huge if they try to find a way to get M and Moneypenny and Q all in the field again (which I wish they would stop doing), and Felix is a big part of it, and another 007 and maybe Madeleine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Dolfan in NYC changed the title to No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - 3 Apr 2020
  • Dolfan in NYC changed the title to No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - April 2020