DVDVR Message Board

No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - Fall 2021

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am an old man.  I don't think I would be able to pull of any of their ensembles without ridicule.

I'm your boat. When I look at my wardrobe and see it's almost all jeans, Cubs tshirts, a couple wrestling shirts, and a couple button downs I realize I need serious style help.

And StitchFix ain't helping.

• Haha 1

I will never need the Queer Eye guys or James Bond clothes.com or whatever to know how to dress. This issue was settled for me a long time ago when WKRP was in late night reruns and my personal guru instructed me not just on the way to dress, but on how to be a man.

In fact, whenever I hear someone talk about how James Bond is the ultimate model of "manliness" there's a part of my mind, still 14 years old that looks at James Bond:

bond-vesper-1544622358.jpg

Thinks..."Hey, pretty cool. Damn." But then looks a little to the left and sees Dr. Johnny Fever:

WKRP904.jpg

And says "Now that's what a man is. Sorry, James..." And James Bond is all...

49168054-James-Bond-Collectibles-cover.j

And, shit he makes a good case.  But then I look a little to the left again and Dr. Johnny Fever says:

mmZqLj6.png

And it's just like...game over, man.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, piranesi said:

This issue was settled for me a long time ago when WKRP was in late night reruns and my personal guru instructed me not just on the way to dress, but on how to be a man.

I was expecting pictures of herb tarleck. 

Just now, odessasteps said:

I was expecting pictures of herb tarleck. 

I do appreciate him more today than I did then. But that's mostly from appreciating the performance of Frank Bonner, And Richard Sanders, and Gordon Jump. I didn't fathom back then just how great that cast was. 

Assignment: Watch any scene of WKRP with Gordon Jump in it, even if he's just in the background. And then just watch what he does with his face and body. it's a nonstop mime fest of twitchy amazing physical comedy. He was masterful.

But Johnny Fever...he was my religion in junior high. When that lady from the t.v. station corrupted him for awhile with a disco show and then he snapped out of it, and  she made him choose fame and fortune vs. good music...his kissoff to her was "Sorry, baby, it's gotta be rock & roll if you wanna dance with me."

HE WAS ABLE TO USE THAT LYRIC IN A LIFE SITUATION!!!!!

• Like 1

While the '60s Bond themes are the best, the '80s are a very close second. Gladys is so tremendous on this. Timothy Dalton will forever be my favourite Bond though Connery and Craig were/are great too.

I dunno... the 70s only has 1 mediocre/bad Bond theme and that's Moonraker. The 80s have the 2 forgettable Dalton themes (the only negatives of the Dalton films) and "All Time High" from Octopussy working against them. I mean the 70s have McCartney, Lulu (though John Barry hated "The Man w. The Golden Gun") and Carly Simon just killing it.

James

33 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I dunno... the 70s only has 1 mediocre/bad Bond theme and that's Moonraker. The 80s have the 2 forgettable Dalton themes (the only negatives of the Dalton films) and "All Time High" from Octopussy working against them. I mean the 70s have McCartney, Lulu (though John Barry hated "The Man w. The Golden Gun") and Carly Simon just killing it.

James

But All Time High is fantastic.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, The Natural said:

The Living Daylights is one of my favourites.

Mine too.  

The lack of love for Carly Simon's No One Does It Better from The Spy Who Loved Me does not break my heart.  It is a pretty song, but it is not very Bond-like, IMO.

We all know that Live & Let Die by Paul McCartney / Wings is Number One And The Best..

It saddens me that Oasis imploded before they were asked to pump out a Bond theme.  I know that Noel Gallagher has always been interested in penning a Bond track, but I am not sure if his tunes have ever been in the running for production.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's still so overplayed on classic rock stations that I tend to take it for granted.

Both versions now.  Yes, in some circles, the GnR cover counts as Classic Rock.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

When you combing song & film quality, hard to beat Goldfinger. 

If you are tying film and theme then yes,  Goldfinger is the best.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In additional Bond news, a bunch of places are saying that Lashana Lynch will be taking on the 007 role in either this movie or the next. Each thing I read has a weird wording to it. So who knows wtf is going on.

For those that don't know, Lashana Lynch played Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel.

• Like 1

What it sounds like is that Bond is retired, and she now has the 007 number.

The report also comes from an unnamed "movie insider" by way of the Daily Mail, so it might require a salt mine.

• Like 2

And it means what? Inside of Craig's story arc and then the whole thing reboots with the next film? Or she is taking over? Either way sounds like a good story. Unless it happens early in the film and she actually gets killed off midway so Bond can come back for revenge. 

I think it's just getting blown out of proportion. Bond retired from MI6 in the last film. Lynch is simply his replacement and filled the 007 code designation. Makes sense. 

Now let's watch fandom and Twitter lose their minds over stupid nonsense.

It does raise questions that should drive some people nuts, given that it takes the "James Bond" name out of the 007 role.  This could be:

1) A way for them to be able to say "we've had a black 007 and a female 007" so they can then just have a white guy for the next series

2) a way to audition the idea of her as 007 and see how it works

3) a way to establish that this is a 007 series that continues in that same universe by somehow making it clear that that old "James Bond is a codename" idea will pick up after the real James Bond comes back and saves the day again and then the new one has to take the name OR make it clear that this is the "007 series" and not the "James Bond" series

4) They just say fuck it and send him to space to fight with lasers (my personal choice)

• Haha 2

The whole "James Bond is a codename" thing was never supported by the movies. The dead wife and the family motto have both followed him through various actors.

Fuck I hate that stupid theory.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The whole "James Bond is a codename" thing was never supported by the movies. The dead wife and the family motto have both followed him through various actors.

Fuck I hate that stupid theory.

I don't mean it was ever a good theory for Dr. No - Die Another Day. I just mean that for the first time ever they actually have the chance to implement it, since none of the pre-Craig movies are canon to the Craig story. IF they want continuity between these five movies and the next four or five and not another reboot, AND they want to continue to call them James Bond movies, they kind of have to consider doing that now.

Edited by piranesi