DVDVR Message Board

No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - Fall 2021

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't like the San Smith song all that much, but it is infinity times better than this terrible ass Radiohead bullshit.

You also liked the Ang Lee / Eric Bana Hulk abortion, so there are times when I don't listen to you.. ::-)

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I'm with Matt Gourley in thinking "All Time High" from Octopussy is very underrated

James

It absolutely is.  There is a particular reason it hits home with me even today.  I was a kid when that movie came out and I think people today underestimate just how much it seemed like the series was on its last legs.  It wasn't a guarantee that it would keep going at all and the whole thing seemed like  relic from a prior era.  Remember in most people's minds there were only two Bonds (no one remembered OHMSS and it was never on cable).  So the series was just this thing where it belonged to Connery and then he was replaced by Moore and that was it. There was no "tradition" of a new bond every generation. They had only changed once. And Moore was ooooooold.  By the time View to a Kill came out, most of what anyone talked about Bond was jokes about him using a walker to get around.

Already by Octopussy the whole thing seemed, at least to me, like a holdover from another generation...practically John Wayne level played out. And I always heard both Nobody Does it Better and We're an All Time High in the past tense...like they were this woman looking at her long time lover as they part ways for the final time and acknowledging that event though their time is over, back in their day no one could touch them.  As a kid I always heard the implied lyrics of Nobody does it better to really be "Nobody DID it better" and We're an all time high as "We WERE an all time high" like everyone involved figured this was their last run around the track. And even thought I wasn't a huge Bond fan, it kind of made me sad and it added this note of meaning to both songs.

Now, if you weren't my age when that movie hit cable, or you weren't a maudlin little crybaby like me, maybe none of that is really there.  But I fucking love that song.  I'm with Gourley on that, but he can take a Psych-I'll'Try'Yours for dumping all over Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough.

• Like 1

Looks pretty good. Makes me feel like I should watch Spectre again, a movie I have probably watched twice (out of boredom) that I remember nearly nothing about except Christoph Waltz was in it and Andrew Scott predictably played a villain because, my god, the guy who was Moriarty MUST play a villain (which is why Fleabag is awesome because Phoebe Waller-Bridge made him look like a sweetheart). Oh yeah, and Batista was in it and he had no lines.

So yeah, that's all I remember of Spectre. A boring, dull, forgettable movie.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Looks pretty good. Makes me feel like I should watch Spectre again, a movie I have probably watched twice (out of boredom) that I remember nearly nothing about except Christoph Waltz was in it and Andrew Scott predictably played a villain because, my god, the guy who was Moriarty MUST play a villain (which is why Fleabag is awesome because Phoebe Waller-Bridge made him look like a sweetheart). Oh yeah, and Batista was in it and he had no lines.

So yeah, that's all I remember of Spectre. A boring, dull, forgettable movie.

Things I recall from Spectre: the opening tracking shot on the Day of the Dead, the fucking terrible Sam Smith song, Batista's underused, Christoph Waltz Blofeld's silly reasons for wanting revenge on Bond and the running time's too long.

Edited by The Natural

Big Dave was really good in it, despite no lines.

The Day of the Dead sequence is amongst the best things in Bond history.

Then it's just kinda a modernized mid-level Moore travelogue until the big reveal that's utterly dumb.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't even remember what the big reveal was. Was that Andrew Scott's character predictably turning out to be a double agent/bad guy?

No, though that did happen.

I'm spoiling a 4 year old movie, but it was dumb anyway. Waltz character Oberhauser's father had took Bond in when his parents died, the two were raised like brothers, Oberhauser was jealous, and has taken his mother's family name.... Blofeld.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

No, though that did happen.

I'm spoiling a 4 year old movie, but it was dumb anyway. Waltz character Oberhauser's father had took Bond in when his parents died, the two were raised like brothers, Oberhauser was jealous, and has taken his mother's family name.... Blofeld.

Oh Jesus, that's right. This is why I feel like I should watch that one more time just because I want to say that Bond was taken by surprise that Bond didn't know who Blofeld was despite being raised together as brothers.

45 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Making their greatest villain a part of the hero's own origin story is a monumentally dumb way of creating personal stakes in almost every instance. For that alone, I wish the new one didn't look so connected to Spectre. Going in with lowered expectations. 

This 100%.  Blofeld is a recurring threat; not the guy that gets vanquished in one movie never to rise again.

9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Making their greatest villain a part of the hero's own origin story is a monumentally dumb way of creating personal stakes in almost every instance. For that alone, I wish the new one didn't look so connected to Spectre. Going in with lowered expectations. 

It's almost a direct lift from Goldmember, a fucking parody of Bond movies, ffs