DVDVR Message Board

No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - Fall 2021

Dolfan in NYC

Well, 007 absolutely is a code name, the same way that M and Q are job titles. James Bond could just be his name.

See how everyone always says he was white in the books? There's a bit in Moonraker where he goes swimming with Gala Brand (told from her perspective) where she looks at him and think of him as having a 'Brown Body'. Which is presumably a reference to him having a suntan (unusually for a white Briton in 1955), but still, it's a thing.

23 hours ago, AxB said:

Well, 007 absolutely is a code name, the same way that M and Q are job titles. James Bond could just be his name.

See how everyone always says he was white in the books? There's a bit in Moonraker where he goes swimming with Gala Brand (told from her perspective) where she looks at him and think of him as having a 'Brown Body'. Which is presumably a reference to him having a suntan (unusually for a white Briton in 1955), but still, it's a thing.

If this is how they sell Idris Elba as Bond it would be fucking amazing.

"No,no, he's not black. He's just really tan."

The 'James Bond is a code name' theory doesn't really bother me but I've never really wanted it to actually be the truth either.  The main reason is that there are clearly other 00 agents who presumably go on similar missions, so having just one alias be used over and over didn't make sense to me when you have other agent numbers for other people to use who do the same type of work.  I don't remember offhand but don't some other 00 agents appear (only to be killed by the main antagonist or something) or are at least mentioned in a few of the older movies?  If they really want to expand the franchise somehow, just do another story about a 00 training center or recruitment process, or feature some of the other agents doing stuff.

If there can be 102 Dracula's, 30+ Tarzans, an army of Sherlock Holmes, a baker's dozens of Wong Fei-hungs, a baseball teams worth of Batmen etc etc, then why do so many of you have to do ridiculous mental  gymnastics to justify a different Bond? You're wrestling fans, suspend your disbelief fer crissakes.

• Like 2

I thought for sure you guys would be all over this. There's a rumored shortlist of directors going around to replace Danny Boyle...

• Jean-Marc Vallée
  • David Mackenzie
  • Yann Demange
  • and.... Edgar Wright?!

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

Deadline says Jean-Marc Vallée has been approached, but Edgar Wright is also a real possibility. The other two names are also on the list but Jean-Marc and Edgar are the frontrunners.

That is an impressively wide spread for a two name list

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

Deadline says Jean-Marc Vallée has been approached, but Edgar Wright is also a real possibility. The other two names are also on the list but Jean-Marc and Edgar are the frontrunners.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I thought for sure you guys would be all over this. There's a rumored shortlist of directors going around to replace Danny Boyle...

• Jean-Marc Vallée
  • David Mackenzie
  • Yann Demange
  • and.... Edgar Wright?!

22 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Ah yes, noted company man Edgar Wright.

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I mean, I'll watch anything Wright does, but that would be a weird choice.

I think he'd do a good job though. 

The Cornetto trilogy was distributed by Universal for one so they at least know he does good work and makes the co-distributor happy. Secondly, he isn't really doing anything right now and they're probably hard pressed to find a reputable director for this to come in a reasonable timeframe (meaning they don't have to move it to 2021 or 2022). The only reason he's probably a front runner is he doesn't have to drop everything and can start production ASAP.

I’d imagine it would depend on whether Wright feels like shooting the studio script Boyle didn’t want to use. I’d like to see Wright take on Bond, but if the production wheels are already turning and they’re in a hurry this would be a lot like Tim Burton joining the Planet of the Apes remake last minute and it not really feeling like a Burton movie at all. 

• Like 1

Alan Moore adopted the whole 007 code names thing in the new and last LOEG. Jimmy Bond (from Black Dossier) is surrounded by his J-Series agents Sean Connery (J1), George Lazenby (J2), Roger Moore (J3), Timothy Dalton (J4), Pierce Brosnan (J5) and Daniel Craig (J6). I got a laugh out of it

• 3 weeks later...