DVDVR Message Board

No Time To Die - James Bond XXV - Fall 2021

Dolfan in NYC

• 4 weeks later...

I don't even know where they can go with the continuity they've set up in the Craig films beside using Lea Seydoux's character as a a stand-in for Tracy, redoing the OHMSS ending, and then maybe resolving the Blofeld stuff with some version of You Only Live Twice (the novel.)

• Like 2

Yeah. I mean everything about Spectre screamed "this is the end of the road for this version of Bond"

That painted themselves into a corner. My advice: fuck it. Do like the old movies and don't have any strong connection between films. Just tell a good story with a good villain, some nice set pieces, some absurdly hot women, and way too much booze.

• Like 3

I'm actually bummed.  I was sorta hoping for another origin reboot with a fresh new 007 and a modern take on Doctor No.

The plot to hijack or otherwise fuck with the US space program is arguably more relevant now than ever, given that he who controls geospace pretty much controls all telecommunications on the planet.

• Like 1

With this in mind I hope they get Christoph Waltz back and wrap this up succinctly. Also, how shit was it when they tried to convince us he wasn't playing Blofeld? I can't decide if it was worse than Cumberbatch/Khan but it was definitely up there

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah. I mean everything about Spectre screamed "this is the end of the road for this version of Bond"

That painted themselves into a corner. My advice: fuck it. Do like the old movies and don't have any strong connection between films. Just tell a good story with a good villain, some nice set pieces, some absurdly hot women, and way too much booze.

I'm sorta hoping they do something along the lines of The Man with the Golden Gun, have a villain who wants to kill Bond to get a notch on his belt, toss in something like the Solex and off we go.

22 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

With this in mind I hope they get Christoph Waltz back and wrap this up succinctly. Also, how shit was it when they tried to convince us he wasn't playing Blofeld? I can't decide if it was worse than Cumberbatch/Khan but it was definitely up there

The only reason I hated the Cumberbatch /  Khan reveal was because they conveniently forgot about Khan's ethnicity.

The good thing about Cumberbatch as Khan was that he looked pretty diesel and I thought he might make for a decent James Bond candidate.  That was the first time he'd actually looked and sounded intimidating in a role.

He stared a hole through Kirk with the trademark ice blue eyes.

I may have been the only one but when Cumberbatch delivered the reveal line, I really wished it would have been him saying:

"My name is.... 

Spoiler

Picard."

But I'm crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm glad Craig is coming back.  I hope Waltz is back as Blofeld and he really gets to cut loose this time.

Just sweep Madeleine to the side and have Bond come back and say, "I tried.  It sucked."  And move on.  But not before seeing a white board of agents taking gambling bets on if he'd come back and who would be his replacement, with a convenient cameo of Tom Hardy as 006 going like "bollocks to you!"

• 6 months later...
On 17/08/2017 at 4:19 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I may have been the only one but when Cumberbatch delivered the reveal line, I really wished it would have been him saying:

"My name is.... 

Reveal hidden contents

Picard."

But I'm crazy. 

How would that have worked? He'd be the father of the one we know from TNG?

7 hours ago, (BP) said:

If they manage to make this movie without killing Madeline I'd be shocked. They're probably breaking the story by throwing darts at a wheel of death scenarios. 

Cut-to-black in diner prior to the opening title sequence. After the theme song, she's face down in a basket of onion rings. 

On 8/18/2017 at 3:13 AM, TheVileOne said:

I'm glad Craig is coming back.  I hope Waltz is back as Blofeld and he really gets to cut loose this time.

Just sweep Madeleine to the side and have Bond come back and say, "I tried.  It sucked."  And move on.  But not before seeing a white board of agents taking gambling bets on if he'd come back and who would be his replacement, with a convenient cameo of Tom Hardy as 006 going like "bollocks to you!"

Just have it turn out that Madeleine was a robot sent by Spectre, and  Bond kills her before the opening credits.

What do you mean it's been done before?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

We're never getting Idris Elba right?

No, but maybe we get Alfred Enoch. 

I knew for sure that Colin Salmon would've been the first black Bond, but I was disappointed.

TBH, Bond is one of the characters out there who may be nigh indelibly linked to his ethnicity and cultural identity and i can see why some Brits would be offended by changes to his character.  That's like asking me how I'd feel about a white John Shaft.

The problem IMO with Bond is that people embrace Bond's martini soaked jingoism when they really shouldn't.  They know that a black Bond will probably possess zero of past Bond's character traits.

49 minutes ago, J.T. said:

No, but maybe we get Alfred Enoch. 

I knew for sure that Colin Salmon would've been the first black Bond, but I was disappointed.

TBH, Bond is one of the characters out there who may be nigh indelibly linked to his ethnicity and cultural identity and i can see why some Brits would be offended by changes to his character.  That's like asking me how I'd feel about a white John Shaft.

The problem IMO with Bond is that people embrace Bond's martini soaked jingoism when they really shouldn't.  They know that a black Bond will probably possess zero of past Bond's character traits.

Given the sliding scale of history, it would be very possible to have a posh, Eton educated BAME Bond in 2018, as opposed to 1954. Son of Petrol Dollar immigrant, Oxbridge, etc . 

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'd presume if there can be a female Doctor, a Bond of color is not impossible for the British public to accept. 

I wonder if we might get an Asian heritage Bond before a black Bond. 

They prepared Whovians for generations for a female Doctor to get dropped on them, and they got a female Doctor before they got an ethnic one.

Bond fans were ready for a black Felix Leiter (he's a throwaway American character so who really cares?) and a black Moneypenny, but I am not so sure that they're prepared to see Bond as an ethnic male.

I'd say while there have been Time Ladies for decades, the idea of potential gender swapping only goes back canonically (I think) to Gaimans first episode for Matt Smith. 

Of course, probably safe to say, generally speaking, Who fans might be more accepting of change than Bond fans.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Bond fans were ready for a black Felix Leiter (he's a throwaway American character so who really cares?) and a black Moneypenny, but I am not so sure that they're prepared to see Bond as an ethnic male.

Of course folks would accept Bernie Casey. Or else. :)