DVDVR Message Board

Super Halcon, Satanico y Masakre vs. El Texano, Lizmark y Rayo De Jalisco Jr. (3/17/89)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

This match had flashes of greatness but overall is bottom half stuff.  The Texano/Masakre exchange at the beginning of the second fall is really awesome and makes you want to see a singles match with them.  The real story of this match though is Jalisco vs. Halcon who are constantly at each others throats.  Especially in the last fall there's this great moment where they're in the corner, they both have their masks all ripped up and they're still grabbing and swinging at each other like it's a wild street brawl.  Another great moment is when during a Jalisco/Halcon brawl the camera cuts to the outside and Lizmark is just laying in one Satanico with BIG punches, just beautiful looking lefts and rights over and over like a mad man.  If this match could've sustained those highs this would've been something.

• 2 weeks later...

This got better and better as it went along. Rayo vs Halcon was a major thread throughout this match as they were building to an apuestas match. Rayo can be such a charismatic and enjoyable performer that the brawling between those two, while not as spectacular as the best brawling on this set, was still really fun. Los Infernales are obviously the most fun guys to watch in this match. They both worked really well with El Texano who looked like a great brawling babyface although most of those moments happened opposite Satanico who I honestly think could make anyone look like a great babyface. Lizmark had some of the most impressive flashes in this match. Every time I see him he has such good timing and is as good throwing hands as he is flying around. He looks like an all time great but I keep feeling like we are only getting brief glimpses of how great he is as he hasn't been the main focus of any of any top tier trios matches and the Satanico vs Lizmark match was a bit of a disappointment to me. He's an incredible supporting actor but I'm still waiting for that great Lizmark starring role and I really want to believe it's out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Halcon is new to the set and basically takes a Tarzan Goto approach yet he will back off and play chickenshit, which is a nice balance to him otherwise just plainly no-selling and beating the shit out of people. Him chopping Texano out of the ring in una caida is hilarious. Texano and Satanico end up facing off in a beautiful segment bookended by great brawling (and boxing) with a mean Cobra Clutch in the middle. Then they have another one shortly thereafter, fast as fuck with some great cackling and howling from Satanico. The two carry most of the match though the big storyline is Rayo and Halcon hating each other, which leads to some good brawling and mask-ripping. Lizmark sadly just shows up in brief bursts, one of which is him pretty much jumping Satanico which looks vicious. I think this probably ended up better than the apuestas match between the two captains. 

EDIT: BY FAR.

• 10 months later...

I thought this was quite a bit of fun, with lots of heated, fast-paced brawling.  Some of the offensive flurries, like Satanico and Texano at the beginning of the second fall, are breathtaking.  The first fall did have some of that technico running in to make a save but just standing there until getting attacked, because this is the rudo domination fall, stuff that I find kind of annoying.  Texano applies some nice submissions in the second and third falls.  The mask-ripping and biting in the third fall was fun.  I could see this in my top 30 or so matches.

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty sick of seeing that backwards tope that Rayo does. It's probably the one lucha move that I just have not been able to acclimate myself to. The first two falls here felt really formless and random, outside of Satanico & Texano seeming to have an idea of what they wanted to do with each other. The clip into the 2nd fall also left me pretty annoyed as we miss the babyface comeback and just get clipped into them being in control after being dominated the first fall. The 3rd fall did start to pick up some and I liked the brawling between Super Halcon & Rayo but this is most likely a bottom 3rd match for me.