DVDVR Message Board

Battleground V

Dolfan in NYC

Did you know Battleground is being called Battlefield in Germany for some reason?  Thanks Wiki!

Punjabi Prison Match For the WWE World Championship - Jinder Mahal (c) vs. Randy Orton

For the WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship - The Usos (c) vs. The New Day

For the United States Heavyweight Championship - Kevin Owens (c) vs. AJ Styles

Flag Match - FREE AGENT JOHN CENA defeats Rusev

• Like 5

I hope they have something better planned for Rusev than just jobbing to Cena.  Before the injury, he was basically just floating around the upper midcard, not doing a whole lot.  And he's coming back from a lengthy absence.  He doesn't need a loss in his return match.

I assume that means Vince is planning to job him out.  Really, Cena probably doesn't need to come back and lose either, though it won't hurt him much either.  Just such an odd, random match to throw together with no build.

Did they specify how exactly the flag match would work?  I've seen them that featured winning by pulling down your opponent's flag from the corner, having to cover them with your flag then pin them, or just regular matches where the loser has to salute the winner's flag.  It would be nice if Handsome Russev at least got a visual win or came out on top with a fuck finish, but I know better than to be optimistic.

It sucks Sami is probably going to have to serve as the guy to put Mike Bennellis over in his debut, but it should at least be a decent match and a feud with Sami is better than a series of 50/50 matches with Dolph Ziggler that every other new guy on Smackdown seems to get thrown into.

I've enjoyed New Day a lot more since their brand move and the Usos have been quite good in ring lately so their match should be solid.  I'm guessing whomever wins (probably New Day) gets a feud with the fashion police?  They've been killing it lately so it would be nice to see them get a push, if only for a little while.

The world title match is clearly going to headline, which is unfortunate since it will probably be a stinker.

I've actually liked the previous Punjabi Prison matches.  Okay, hold on I've only seen the one with Big Show where he replaced Khali.  I have not seen the other.

Well, it could definitely suck but I'm intrigued.  This does not look like a terrible PPV on paper. 

I kinda wish The Undertaker was around to transition to a color guy just so I could hear him say PoonJab match over and over for the next couple of weeks.

They are missing the boat on Rusev being All American. If you follow him on Instagram the guy loves everything about this country. He would be a mega face if they just let him be himself.

• Like 3

People shouldn't shit on Corbin so much. I mean, you can, but there are far, far, far worse options than him.

As a fan of Big Banter Corbin though, I think he's doing pretty well. If he loses to Nakamura, which he likely will, it's no different than any other time when a MitB winner loses. And a Nakamura win pushes him even further towards a title shot. It's all good as long as Corbin doesn't win. It's too soon for Nakamura to drop a loss to someone like Corbin.

• Like 2

It is never too soon, is it?

I have surprisingly high hopes for Nakamura-Corbin, as they actually worked together a little on NXT house shows on Corbin's way out right after Nakamura came in.  Granted, there was a lot of coasting too, at least in the match I saw, so who knows.

On 7/5/2017 at 3:04 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Did you know Battleground is being called Battlefield in Germany for some reason?  Thanks Wiki!

Punjabi Prison Match For Us- Jinder Mahal (c) vs. Randy Orton

FTFY ; )

• Like 1

Only match with real interest to me is Styles vs. Owens.

Prediction:

Mahal retains the WWE Title against Orton.

Styles defends the WWE US Title vs. Owens.

New Day becomes the WWE Smackdown Live Tag Team Champions beating the Usos.

Charlotte beats Lynch, Natalya, Tamina and Lana for the WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship title match at SummerSlam.

Nakamura over Corbin.

Cena beats Rusev.

Dillinger defeats English in the pre-show.

No Ziggler on the show? Maybe this won't be as big a pile of fail as feared.

Not going live, mainly because it's a work night, and also because I can't justify dropping that kind of bank for tickets, even upgraded ones like the Wells Fargo Center was practically throwing away until today.

Honestly only one of those matches looks genuinely good on paper, and it's one we'll see done a dozen times more before that feud ends.

• Like 1