DVDVR Message Board

Battleground V

Dolfan in NYC

Shinsuke Nakamura was inconsistent in NJPW.

Nak's WWE debut match against Sami Zayn was brilliant. The matches with Samoa Joe didn't do it for me whereas Bobby Roode put on Shinsuke's best feud so far in the WWE.

Haven't seen Nak's PPV bouts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

A Redditor, who I guess is Indian (or speaks/understands their language), listened to the main event with the Indian commentators. It's kind of fascinating, since they treat Jinder like the all conquering hero, and basically don't even pay attention to Orton or his accomplishments in WWE.

It sounds like they got the brothers Maharaja Ventura to call the action.

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Natalya winning was unexpected but I welcome the change. Tamina/Lana working together throughout was fun until they got bounced early, solid match with a fast pace.

It was cool to see Nattie win. And the Summerslam match should be good because she and Naomi have displayed some good chemistry in the past. 

I'm hoping we also get Lana/Tamina vs Charlotte/Becky on the card or at least the pre-show. 

• Like 1

At the start of the Nak/Corbin match - JBL made that statement about Nakamura beating Goto for the IWGP title

As you can see - he was wrong in multiple ways

• Like 3

I'm still bitter Tenzan's IWGP reigns were undercut by shitty booking.  He should have been that decade's ace.  Thanks for reminding me, JBL.

I'm glad they're doing something with Tamina and Lana, but they're a terrible duo in-ring.  The idea that Tamina is going to teach Lana pro wrestling is... whatever.

Smackdown roster is looking less interesting to me now than it did a few months ago.  Charlotte as a babyface-leaning-tweener who loses a lot now is not interesting me.  Becky never getting wins isn't interesting to me.  Nak has been a disappointment.  Last night sure didn't make it seem like they have big plans for Rusev.

Show was mostly a throwaway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Isn't the punchline about the India push that the last time the company toured there was such a disaster that several guys said they would quit if they were ever forced to go back?

If I am remembering the time line correctly - the death trip was in 2002

They returned in Jan 2016 so they decided that after 14 years it was worth trying again

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Anybody know how long Nakamura's contract is? Did Dave mention that last year? I could see them just holding onto Nakamura even if he doesn't turn it around and they don't care about him outside of merchandising as to keep him from returning to New Japan.

Apparently he signed a three year deal. WWE announced the signing on February 21, 2016, so assuming the contract starts about then, he's got a while yet to go. 

• Like 1

I'm assuming the JBL botch was the result of somebody reading wikipedia wrong, since Nakamura beat Goto to win his first IWGP Intercontinental Title.

It did make me do a double take, though.

That was a bit of a disappointment after GBOF. Skipped the pre show after the awful crowd chants got too much after 5 minutes, so the first thing I saw was the tag team match which was great fun. Obviously the standout moment being the much giffed Woods being kicked in the face spot, which was incredible, though I do sort of wish that was the finish, it looked so vicious. No need to be churlish though.

I clearly enjoyed the Owens AJ match more than everyone else, though I'm struggling to remember what specifically I enjoyed. Maybe it's just the novelty of "guys I saw when I watch indies regularly a decade ago" but I felt entertained by it anyway.

Other than that there just didn't feel like much else worth commenting on. It wasn't good, but worse than that, it was just dull.

For all the arguments about Nakamura, you've got to say that his entrance is really hot even if the match itself didn't get much in the way of a response. The finish felt weirdly out of nowhere, which was somehow appropriate for this match. That's about the extent of what I can say without getting into moaning about how bad the bad bits were & I promised myself I'd try to focus on the good stuff until the bad got bad enough that I'd just stop watching again.

I gave up trying to watch the main event a couple minutes in. This PPV sucked. A Nakamura match ends in a DQ? KO and Styles can't sleepwalk their way into a good match? I mean, ugh, just what the fuck. Did Ryan Ward go to Raw or something? 

• Like 2

Apparently this show was so bad nobody even has the energy to laugh at the fact Orton once had his entire arms and shoulders through the cage, making it obvious he could just climb through the damn holes instead of climbing over the cage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In defense of JBL being a Texan, at least he got it right that the person that Nak beat for the title had a first name that started with the letter H.  The Japanese all look alike anyway.

Texas is a horrible place, Rivera.  You may as well live on the streets if you live in Texas - Excalibur.

I am sad that everyone is sleeping on the awesomness of Jinder slowly reforming Karachi Vice with workers that are at least ethnically tied to the Indian sub-continent (even though they are mostly Canadians) and I can forgive the kayfabe faux pas that none of them are culturally linked to Pakistan.

That being said, I can think of at least four Hindu / Punjabi workers I'd have rather seen show up other than the all but immobile Great Khali.

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This PPV sucked. A Nakamura match ends in a DQ?

As much as I hate this booking, Corbin has jobbed cleanly in most of his PPV appearances, so I chalk this DQ up as a reward for being a company guy.  Corbin didn't win, but he didn't really lose either.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

As much as I hate this booking, Corbin has jobbed cleanly in most of his PPV appearances, so I chalk this DQ up as a reward for being a company guy.  Corbin didn't win, but he didn't really lose either.

According to the Internet Wrestling Database, his PPV record was 6-5 with 1 draw before last night. Which is worse than I expected; I had the impression he was fairly well protected.

4 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

According to the Internet Wrestling Database, his PPV record was 6-5 with 1 draw before last night. Which is worse than I expected; I had the impression he was fairly well protected.

To be fair - two of those "losses" are the Royal Rumble match and the Elimination Chamber match

And one of the losses was the one at Mania to Ambrose which was a last minute change as he was originally supposed to win the title (Last night and a loss to Sami Zayn were the other two)

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - two of those "losses" are the Royal Rumble match and the Elimination Chamber match

Ah, okay. I was wracking my brain trying to think of six singles losses he's had on PPV. He spent most of 2016 wrestling on the preshows, but he pretty much won all of his feuds.

So I'm wondering if Nattie winning means we're getting some version of WWE Four Horsewomen vs. MMA Four Horsewomen at SummerSlam. Though I wonder if they would have attempted to go with Becky Lynch vs. Cris Cyborg too.