DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Live from "The Shelter" 7/4/17

I enjoyed this quite a bit, especially for a holiday show.

And...at the risk of bringing on the type of conversation I'd rather not bring on...am I the only one who always found Maria insanely hotter in ROH than WWE? I think it's the way WWE shits make-up all over women.

Paul F Tompkins is a better rapper than Kofi Kingston.  And, I mean, there's no reason he shouldn't be. Still. It was surprising.

Note: There are actually few situations where, if you are in a rap battle, you score points for calling out your opponent for not finishing their college degree.  I mean there are a few places. A peer-reviewed conference paper session on the influence of French literary theory on popular music studies is one. A Whifflepoof reunion outside the library at Yale is the other. Maybe a barbecue where Marc Lamont Hill and Imani Perry get drunk enough is a third possibility.

Guys, I think maybe Phil Hartman was a better rapper than Kofi Kingston is.

• Like 2

Gable/AJ was good while it lasted. Breezango was a fun highlight once again.

The rap battle turned out way better than expected though the Usos went pretty damn low. Thought they won until Xavier got his chance.

I'm glad Rusev and Cena are back, but I wish they were facing other people.

I do love how Bryan screws with AJ just about very time he shows up on Talking Smack.

For the record - it is Tenee Young

So it's a play off Renee Young - not Mike Tenay or Ty Dillinger

Especially because they were both wearing the same shirt

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They haven't posted the clip yet but it was actually "Tynee Young" interviewing Tye Dillinger before the battle royal with Tyler in a wig/dress and Fandango dressed like an electrician lurking in the background. 

• Like 2

It was weird to have a Tye sighting. WTF are they doing with this guy.

And then I remember the stuff on Observer Radio about how they're just bringing him up with nothing to do.

Guest Edwin

Surprised Tenee Young has to be explained... That bit was great.

Cena's return wasn't great, nor horrible. He pretty much put the idea out there that he's possibly facing Reigns at WM.

AJ/Gable was predictable and a given they were trying to push this in the same light as that HBK/Benjamin.

The rap battle was rather forgettable if it didn't feature the Xavier/Paige/Maddox or the Usos bag carrier lines.

The battle royal was predictable, but KO was great on commentary.

The rest was just there...

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It was weird to have a Tye sighting. WTF are they doing with this guy.

And then I remember the stuff on Observer Radio about how they're just bringing him up with nothing to do.

At least he got into the Battle Royal as opposed to Nakamura (which was really weird since they kept hyping it as SDL's best)

On some levels - Tye is doing his same exact role on the main roster as he was in NXT. He is great for the house shows since they almost always send him out first and he is over with the crowd.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

The rap battle turned out way better than expected though the Usos went pretty damn low. Thought they won until Xavier got his chance.

The problem is Xavier's lines came too late in the battle.  They were the equivalent of scoring a touchdown when you're down 49 with 3 minutes left in the game. Good effort, but it doesn't matter.

Had Xavier went to them right after his on-live air murder, things would have been closer. The 'no one knew you until your wife got you on Total Divas' and 'go back to what you do best, and carry bags for Roman' were strong.  But there's no coming back after losing your soul like that and Kofi whiffing so badly.

• Like 1

I thought the line about the Usos being Roman's bag carriers didn't make sense considering they debuted on the main roster a year or two before he did and were a well established team by the time Roman got his post-Shield singles push.

• Like 2

Sounded like that did more damage to New Day's credibility as entertainers than anything. I mean even the crowd turned when Wale made announcement.

34 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I thought the line about the Usos being Roman's bag carriers didn't make sense considering they debuted on the main roster a year or two before he did and were a well established team by the time Roman got his post-Shield singles push.

I actually had the same thought. Especially if its after the Shield and the Usos were a really over act. Though I missed it initially, Xavier was going on about roaming charges, I turn my head for a second and its over. 

The New Day will be fine and likely is fine. Woods destroyed at the end of it even if it made little sense. Remember, they're rap battling for a crowd composed of people whose only exposure to that is probably a Key and Peele sketch or 8 Mile. What matters most is if you say some shit that sounds completely devastating that cuts to the bone. The line about Roman, while again, making little sense, is that particular hit where it cuts deep because people will be like, "OH SHIT! I CAN'T BELIEVE HE WENT THERE!" in the same way they did with the "rated R" line about Woods. Both teams came across well, in fact. Only Kofi came across as corny to most folks.

My one complaint is that there wasn't enough Hype Man activities. Someone, maybe the Fashion Police for the New Day, should have been going crazy as hype men for the New Day. Same for the dudes the Usos had out with them. I think too much of the time WWE is afraid of going too far over the top with irreverence and zaniness, when that's usually the shit that works. Look at the Fashion Police and what they're doing. It's so over the top that it works. Same with what the New Day used to do before they were overexposed. If WWE is sports entertainment, then go full on entertainment with your segments. Don't be afraid to be totally off the wall.

Anyway, the Usos continue to be one of my favorite acts in WWE now. They're both hitting this crazy stride on the mic and their in ring work is always OK or solid. Imagine that. You let guys be like their out of the ring personas (and I see this iteration of the Usos as an amped up version of their UUDD selves) and they get over with the crowd.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - it is Tenee Young

So it's a play off Renee Young - not Mike Tenay or Ty Dillinger

Especially because they were both wearing the same shirt

You guys ALL suck! He was scrambling for a name, looked at Dillinger and came up with Tenee Young.

• Like 2