DVDVR Message Board

GFW Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 7/20/17

*Taped for Xplosion: Tyrus def. Caleb Konley
*Taped for Xplosion: Taiji Ishimori def. Andrew Everett

GFW Impact Wrestling - Airing July 20, 2017 from Orlando, FL

*Drago def. Sammy Guevara to advance in the Super X Cup

*Sienna def. Amber Nova. After the match, Sienna says she did what she said she would do and defeated Rosemary but one person didn't believe in her. Sienna calls out Karen Jarrett and says she doesn't want congratulations, just for Karen to call her the best knockouts champion ever. Allie comes out and attacks Sienna with a kendo stick. Laurel Van Ness comes out to help Sienna followed by Rosemary. Gail Kim comes out to break it up. Karen Jarrett announces next week Sienna defends against Rosemary in a Last Knockout Standing match.

*Garza Jr., Laredo Kid, & Octagoncito def. Trevor Lee, Idris Abraham, & Demus 3:16 when Octagoncito pinned Abraham

*Matt Sydal def. Low Ki & El Hijo del Fantasma via pinfall on Ki. After the match, Sydal gets the mic and says trust yourself and question authority as he calls out Bruce Prichard. Bruce comes out and he's sick and tired of guys demanding spots. Bruce says Sydal deserves a title shot but so do other guys. Lashley interrupts and says he's the one who deserves a title shot. Sydal says nobody wants to hear it from him. Lashley tells Bruce to give him that title shot, then spears Sydal and says that's only the start.

*Andy Velchich & Freddy Hardy of the Swolemates show come out of the crowd again and attack Chris Adonis & Eli Drake

*Eli Drake def. Eddie Edwards, Ethan Carter III, & Moose in a fatal four way when he stole the pin on Edwards as Moose pulled EC3 out of the ring.

*LAX attack Dos Caras & El Hijo del Dos Caras in the ring, telling Alberto there are consequences. Konnan threatens to unmask Dos Caras. Alberto comes out and says he's taken this too far, tells him to stop the nonsense. Konnan asks if he's ready to join. Alberto threatens to destroy them if he touches his dad. Konnan says he'll let him go if Alberto joins LAX. Alberto says they are no longer friends but Konnan says he needs a soldier. They let Alberto's family go as he puts on the LAX shirt but Alberto then attacks LAX and fights them off.

These actually look pretty good. Seems like Dutch has found his groove and there are things actually happening from week to week. Love the Super X cup and the guys they've brought in.

Besides the stupid name situation, they seem to be in a good place. I'd love to have RoFlo and Don West as the permanent announce team though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome triple threat w/ Sydal/Ki/Fantasma with some creative spots, loved the finish. Sienna looked great as usual. Opener and main events were both pretty good but short. Guevara's 630 was cool.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed the 6 man tag. Trevor and Octagoncito have good chemistry. I'm not sure why Borash keeps saying Demus is from AAA when he's never been there as far as I know. The triple threat and Drago/Sammy match were good too. It was sad to see Sammy do a 630 to crickets. Impact is on an upswing right now with the talent they have. Just need to get the titles off Alberto and back on Lashley.

• Like 3

Putting the Alberto drama aside, I really enjoyed that last segment. Berto showed fire that I didn't know he had. Guess that's what happens when you're allowed to go do your own thing instead of being scripted like a robot. 

I like that ELI got the win in the 4 way, hopefully its a sign of things to come. His facials after the match were hysterical.

i like the fact that they're combining great wrestling featuring workers from around the world with episodic television and storylines. Basically the WCW Nitro formula. 

The only thing I didn't really like is the stupid "executive team". Bruce has no business being there.. he doesn't promote the show on his podcast and brings nothing to the table. Dutch should focus on writing. And Karen... well, you know. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thibs said:

The only thing I didn't really like is the stupid "executive team". Bruce has no business being there.. he doesn't promote the show on his podcast and brings nothing to the table. Dutch should focus on writing. And Karen... well, you know. 

On air authority figures just need to die in general. It's such a crutch for lazy, uncreative writing. Otherwise, I liked this episode as well.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On air authority figures just need to die in general. It's such a crutch for lazy, uncreative writing. Otherwise, I liked this episode as well.

Agreed. I would feed any kind of authority figure decisions through the announcers.

The problem is that the current on air authority figures are there strictly through nepotism. 

Untrue.  Daniel Bryan is Smackdown co-gm because...um.... he's bitter about the company holding him to his contract while not letting him get back in the ring, and Vince rightly surmised that Smackdown is where he'll do the least amount of damage.

Or maybe not.  I got nuthin'

Well I meant in GFW. But I could see how you would think I meant anywhere.

I can't imagine anyone from outside of wrestling thinking it would be a good idea to put Prichard or Mantell as you on screen authority figure.

Karen Jarrett in particular doesn't work as Knockouts GM, because she's physically bigger than Sienna (who is the big bully of the division). To look at the two of them, you'd wonder why Jarrett wasn't demanding a title shot herself. She looks like she could take her*.

This was a good show though. Lots of X division guys.

* Vincewould hate that sentence. Vince hates it when people use pronouns. It drives Vince up the wall when people do that. Even though repeatedly using someone's name in every sentence makes you sound a bit weird and unnatural.

Bruce Prichard deciding to allow Trevor Lee to continue carrying around the X-Division title, while ejecting Sonjay Dutt for trying to get it back would be the dumbest current GM move on televised wrestling, if Prichard also decided that LAX kidnapping and beating up Alberto's family was a "family matter" that he didn't see the need to rule on. 

It was weird to finally hear someone acknowledge Lucha Underground on Impact this week.

• Like 1