DVDVR Message Board

UFC 213: Romero vs. Whittaker (7/8/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

So this PPV got an estimated 125K to 150K buys. I haven't been paying attention to buyrates much lately, is this the new normal when one of their superstars isn't on the show? Was it hurt that much by the last minute cancellation or was the issue that people weren't that interested in the Nunes fight and tuned it out?

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So this PPV got an estimated 125K to 150K buys. I haven't been paying attention to buyrates much lately, is this the new normal when one of their superstars isn't on the show? Was it hurt that much by the last minute cancellation or was the issue that people weren't that interested in the Nunes fight and tuned it out?

Combination of new normal and the main event falling out IMO. I think people were interested a little bit in the main event, and I don't think it helped that it fell off so close to the event. The marketing was centered mostly around it even though Romero-Whittaker was part of the advertising. 

The aftermath of this though (Nunes pulling out when she was cleared) is I dunno if that is going to adversely affect the buyrate of 215. Johnson-Borg is an ok fight, but we already know the ceiling of Mighty Mouse against a non-name opponent. So how do you sell either fight? I mean it is a month plus between UFC PPVs, but it is coming off the heels of Mayweather-McGregor and the MSG PPV will probably be announced by then. I think 213 could have done 175k-200k had the main event stayed in tact, but 215 will probably be in the same range as this one due to all circumstances around it.