DVDVR Message Board

UFC 213: Romero vs. Whittaker (7/8/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

The problem with matching up a young, underdeveloped prospect like Blaydes with Daniel Omielanczuk is ALL of Daniel Omielanczuk's fights look like that win or lose. All of them. He's a rigid, big burly house of a man who isn't that good at grappling or striking because his strongman physique doesn't allow for either but he is too tough to get showcased on. There is a bunch of heavyweights Blaydes could have roasted quickly. Omielanczuk isn't one of them because he is so difficult to look good against no matter the skill disparity.

That Bisping promo was gold and I love the way Robert Whittaker fights. Like a less cagey and more orthodox Dominick Cruz. Some real man shit to fight through that injury against somebody as scary as Yoel. 

• Like 1

Yea I wouldn't blame him, but its not uncommon once someone becomes champion they suddenly want time off to heal up from whatever injuries they fought through to get the title shot in the first place. The motivation to hurry back from injuries is no longer there, whether they fight in three months or nine they know it will still be a championship fight either way.

Just now, Oyaji said:

The only worry is recovery time for Whittaker's leg.

Hopefully, whatever is wrong with it can heal in eight or nine weeks time. That seems like ample enough recovery time unless he screwed it up more fighting on it. 

Main event was best fight of the night.  Pettis looked decent tonight as well.

I really can't stand Romero.  He basically went on cruise control after round two and coasted for the rest of the fight.  Mad props for Whittaker pulling it out and gutting this out with one good leg.  Everyone was jizzing over Romero's open workout this week and his physique, but this is MMA.  It's not Mr. Universe or a bodybuilding contest.  All those muscles take their toll on Romero in longer fights like this as they clearly did here. 

Werdum only has himself to blame.  Even if you give him a 10-8 round 3, then it's still a draw. Overeem's head was wide open and his chin was straight up the whole fight.  He didn't really try to attack Overeem until round 3.  

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm just saying, the MMA media forgot about that this week. 

I doubt anyone picked Yoel Romero on the sole basis of his physique. I think you're overselling this like you do everything else.

Werdum is such a frustrating fighter to me. Sometimes he looks like the best in the world, other times... I don't want to say he isn't trying or anything like that but maybe it is just too cautious. His gameplan just wasn't there and it took him too long to figure Overeem out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Werdum is such a frustrating fighter to me. Sometimes he looks like the best in the world, other times... I don't want to say he isn't trying or anything like that but maybe it is just too cautious. His gameplan just wasn't there and it took him too long to figure Overeem out.

I think he waited too late to be this type of fighter and his fight IQ doesn't line up with his best skills. 

Overeem and Werdum's last fight was also terrible.  They just don't really match up well at all.  

Let's not forget, Werdum went on a pretty incredible run when he came back to the UFC knocking off a lot of tough opponents, including Cain Velasquez.  Plus he's 39.  

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Overeem and Werdum's last fight was also terrible.  They just don't really match up well at all.  

Considering the age, where each one is at in their career, and how heavyweight fights tend to go, tonight was the best possible fight that could happen between the two. It was a good fight all things considered. Crowd was into it and we got some drama.