DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Atomic Blonde is the best Bond movie in a decade. The soundtrack is pretty great too, although it stumbles at the beginning by using Cat People, which Tarantino owns forever, and Under Pressure, which is in everything. Come on, if you're going to use Bowie in a movie set in Berlin there's choice stuff from Low and Heroes. 

Eh, I liked Kingsman more than Atomic Blonde, so that's my choice for best Bond film in a decade.  The recent Bond movies themselves have been good and Craig was a good choice for Bond, but I kinda miss the over-the-top wackiness of the older films.  I'm not sure they were great films, but the Brosnan Bond films were so absurd that they were fun.

Re-watched most of Kingsman again today - it was on FX - and it was a lotta fun after the snoozefest that was GitS.  I'm kinda amused that some of the more over-the-top elements were not the brainchild of Mark Millar.  Never read the comic series, but it sounds like stuff like the double amputee henchwoman (who walked on razor sharp blades instead of standard prostheses) were inventions of the movie.

Still amazed how bloody that scene in the redneck church is.  Jesus.

18 minutes ago, Lacelle said:

Goldeneye was great & holds up. Can't vouch for the rest of the Brosnan Bonds

Apart from a few elements, like Sophie Marceau, the other three Brosnans are pretty weak. TND is mediocre, then TWINE is bad, then DAD is abysmal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Re-watched most of Kingsman again today - it was on FX - and it was a lotta fun after the snoozefest that was GitS.  I'm kinda amused that some of the more over-the-top elements were not the brainchild of Mark Millar.  Never read the comic series, but it sounds like stuff like the double amputee henchwoman (who walked on razor sharp blades instead of standard prostheses) were inventions of the movie.

Sorta. Gazelle in the comic still had prosthesis.

Gazelle.jpg

37 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

VALERIAN was the best Bond movie this decade, duh.

I'd try to disprove that theory but that would involve finding people who have actually seen it, and who has that kinda time...

I'm still amused that they bothered to license Wanted.... then changed virtually everything about the comic except a couple of the names.

Not that I'm sorry.  Wanted the Movie dully inoffensive, imo.  Wanted the Comic was repugnant and mostly awful (again, my opinion).

The world probably isn't ready for mentally challenged Superman and Clayface made of excrement.

• Like 1

I'm to the point I just don't want to read a Millar book. He's written a number of things I really like - and a lot more that I really despised.  I rarely find the middle ground with Millar projects.  Anymore, I just assume that "crap" is far more likely than "art" from him.

• Like 1