DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

22 hours ago, EVA said:

The makers of LAST CHANCE U are experts in pulling your heartstrings.  2nd episode of season 2 spends a fair amount of its run time getting you invested in seeing Isaiah Wright succeed, and then they hit you with the gut punch at the end when he gets the concussion.  

Granted, it's a concussion and not a blown knee or anything, but it being 2017 and knowing what we know about concussions, it still feels like a terrible thing has just happened to him.  Especially with the way they (smartly) let the whole thing play out in excruciating detail, allowing us to see Wright go from "I'm fine!  I can go back in the game" to "Oh, shit, I am SO not fine" to the point he can't even stand anymore.  Like watching a slow motion car crash.

The part that really hit me was when he finally got to the point where he couldn't stand, he was all by himself.  No coaches, trainers, teammates, not even his brother were there to help him.  When he was diving over people into the end zone he was surrounded by support, as soon as he couldn't help the team, he was on his own.  

• Like 1

And somehow the third episode gets even worse!

Wilson spends the whole episode convincing the coaches that he's well enough to play while simultaneously "joking" with his teammates about how he left out of his dorm room walking across campus only to forget where he came from or where he was going and telling stories about how often he can't sleep at night because of head pain.  I shudder to think of how many concussions this kid has already had in life.

So, of course, you spend the whole episode thinking there's no way he's gonna play.  And then they let him play.

The game plays out like a horror movie, with every one of Wilson's carries slowed down or sped up to emphasize how many times his head gets rocked, even on seemingly "safe," routine plays.  Needless to say, he doesn't finish the game, leading him to have an angry meltdown on the sidelines and in the locker room.

As hard as it is to watch, I felt as conflicted about it as I'm sure Wilson did.  Because the kid clearly knows how bad of shape he's in.  But he also knows he's nowhere near a college without football, and every game he sits out, he loses offers to play at bigger schools, which in turns means less of a chance at cashing an NFL check for his family.  As Wilson himself said, "What is my life without football?"   At that point, I was on his side.  Let him play!  Then I watch him play, and it hurts ME.

And then in the 4th episode you find out he's having a baby, and I don't know if my heart can take much more.

Man, I feel like a hypocrite that three of my favorite sports  (and I guess wrestling as well) involves people getting concussed but watching folks concussed in regular stick and ball sports does something to me. It's gotta be the confirmed CTE stuff. Jordan Parsons who only had like 5 or 6 MMA fights and was super young when he died in a hit-and-run had CTE so I know damn well a bunch of notable MMA fighters are going to have it.

I was going to watch the second season of the show, but I dunno if I want to watch a young player go through that. I'm going to see plenty of that shit live when football starts back.

I'll most likely get around to watching it, but I'm not in that big of a rush now.

Despite being a big fan of Breaking Bad I never got around to watching Better Call Saul until just now.  I'm 4 episodes in and am pretty neutral on it so far.  Like the characters and cast but it's just not grabbing me yet and part of that is probably that I haven't watched BB since the finale and am probably forgetting some of the supporting characters (I didn't remember Tuco at all at first).  Right now I don't have many other shows to keep up with so I'm going to stick with it for at least the entire first season, but wanted to know if and when it picks up?  I realize there's a thread on it but don't want to spoil much for myself.

It is the slowest of slow burns.  Season 2 in particular is quite excellent, I think, but just know that significant airtime will be devoted to, like, elder law and Mike wordlessly disassembling gas caps for...a really long time.  Someone changing a single digit in an address is a major plot point.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 8:51 AM, cwoy2j said:

Oh and the academic adviser lady is hot as hell.

Yes, she is. And, if there's a season 3, she won't be in it. She quit, started her own company, and has now taken a job in Michigan.