DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

The best thing about watching THE MIDDLE is yelling "Just divorce her already, Jesus!" whenever Frankie complains about stupid shit.

The show is a hoot, until she goes on a complaining jag,  then, well you stated it perfectly. . . .

• Like 1

So, for the last however long it's been, Audience has been showing Sons of Anarchy at 5PM every day, something I find quite commendable. However, now that the shit's getting real in Charming and we have less than a handful of episodes to go, why would you opt to show the last two episodes at 1AM??? This isn't even remotely funny, (yes, I'm one of those people that still watches programs when they are originally broadcast, though I'm quite aware that I can record for later viewing). I really enjoy watching five weeks worth of a show in one week, but I'm also not likely to go out of my way to record a series for binge-watching. Anyway, the folks at Audience have re-built an audience for SOA and the good-will that comes along with same, and are now saying a big FUCK YOU to the viewers. I'm as likely to be up at 1AM as not, but I suspect that I'm far from being the only viewer that's incredibly annoyed by this.

HBO is in early development on a series adaptation of the novel “Who Fears Death” with “Game of Thrones” scribe George R.R. Martin attached as an executive producer, according to “Who Fears Death” author Nnedi Okorafor.

Nice to know George has found something to do with all his free time. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Nice to know George has found something to do with all his free time. 

He's already released a statement about how he's one of many executive producers and how little work he's actually going to be doing.  Being a producer for movies and TV isn't necessarily a full-time job.  I've been a producer on a documentary from a former college classmate, because I gave money to her go fund me.  

Did anyone watch the premier of "I'm Sorry" on Tru TV.  It was created by and stars Andrea Savage, who I best know from Step Brothers. 

It does feel like a dull Curb Your Enthusiasm clone. The second episode they showed was better than the pilot. I think it has potential. 

Weird thing is I don't remember turning the TV to the pilot. 

Comedy Central has canceled @midnight and the final episode is August 3rd. It's not too shocking as the show is really hit or miss depending on who is on. It got me into Ron Funches and Nikki Glaser so it's not too bad. Should have known it would be canceled after Dolph Ziggler appeared.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

Comedy Central has canceled @midnight and the final episode is August 3rd. It's not too shocking as the show is really hit or miss depending on who is on. It got me into Ron Funches and Nikki Glaser so it's not too bad. Should have known it would be canceled after Dolph Ziggler appeared.

A few years from now people in their 30s then will be talking about it like people my age talk about Remote Control.

• Like 1

Remote Control was a game show with a Jeopardy format for people that weren't smart enough to appear on Jeopardy.

I will always be indebted to the show for introducing me to the cuteness of Marisol Massey.

And in what other game show would you be able to get away with naming one of your segments, Beat The Bishop?

RIP, Ken Ober. :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Remote Control was a game show with a Jeopardy format for people that weren't smart enough to appear on Jeopardy.

I will always be indebted to the show for introducing me to the cuteness of Marisol Massey.

Because you already knew about the B movie career of Kari Wuhrer? 

• Like 1

I started watching Sense8 last night (I know it's been cancelled and will wrap up with a movie sometime next year).  Has anyone here watched it and can you let me know if it gets any better?  The first episode was all table-setting, no plot, and the LGBT content was so clumsily and forcefully executed it was downright laughable. 

10 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

Comedy Central has canceled @midnight

*throws remote* Why do they cancel everything I like yet Tosh.0 is STILL ON THE FUCKING AIR?! Does he have incriminating photos of the bosses or something? 

I now await for them to not renew The Meltdown and This Is Not Happening just to spite me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

*throws remote* Why do they cancel everything I like yet Tosh.0 is STILL ON THE FUCKING AIR?! Does he have incriminating photos of the bosses or something? 

I now await for them to not renew The Meltdown and This Is Not Happening just to spite me. 

Hate to break it to you Curt but they did cancel the Meltdown back in September. I also had no idea Ari wasn't hosting This is not happening anymore?

Ron Funches tweeted out yesterday that basically Hardwick is too big time for Comedy Central at this point.  That's why Tosh will last forever - what else is he going to go do past Tosh.0 and his stand up stuff?

here it is:

On 7/10/2017 at 3:20 PM, EVA said:

Yes to soft reboot.  The show gets immensely better from there.

Wow you weren't kidding. Just blasted through Season 2 and it was such an improvement its unreal. Felt very Prisoner-esque

Didn't realize until last night that David Boreanaz stars in a new fall show (Seal Team, CBS),  Wow.  When he was on Buffy, I thought he was a fairly terrible actor whose resume would basically be one role on one show.  20 years later, it's been 20 years since Boreanaz was out of work and he's been cast as the lead in three different series.

I don't hate the guy or anything.  He was fine on Bones and I really enjoyed Bones from season two to about season seven or eight.  And he did a decent job on Angel.  I'm just surprised by how wrong I was about his career prospects.

Comedy Central has a replacement for the Nightly Show ready to go, so they would have had to shuffle @midnight to another timeslot, so I guess they decided to go out on (relatively speaking) top, rather than grind out another 6 months or year of bad ratings and get cancelled. At least that's my view of things. . .

What's The Nightly Show replacement (and how in the bloody hell could it be any better than The Nightly Show)? 

All I hope is that they go out with some good panels in the last two weeks because, yeah, there have been some pretty poor ones recently. 

On 7/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Didn't realize until last night that David Boreanaz stars in a new fall show (Seal Team, CBS),  Wow.  When he was on Buffy, I thought he was a fairly terrible actor whose resume would basically be one role on one show.  20 years later, it's been 20 years since Boreanaz was out of work and he's been cast as the lead in three different series.

I don't hate the guy or anything.  He was fine on Bones and I really enjoyed Bones from season two to about season seven or eight.  And he did a decent job on Angel.  I'm just surprised by how wrong I was about his career prospects.

He's a really odd actor. He plays really goofy pretty well, and on the rare occasion he gets to play evil bastard (Angelus and that terrible Crow sequel he was in) he's fucking amazing. But as a straight leading man, I don't think he's ever gotten above adequate.

So, of course, here's another heroic leading man role!