DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim are both leaving Hawaii Five-O

They are both immediately leaving so the fate of their characters will be learned in the first episode of Season 8?!?!?!?!

We just powered through "24: Legacy" and holy crap, it was not too great and I can understand why it was cancelled.  Meaningless and unnecessary side stories you can't muster the will to give two shits about and that amount to nothing in the end?  Establishing one Big Bad for over half the season, then switching it up to three more separate Big Bads that we have zero investment in?  Using kidnapping as a plot device on three separate occasions?  Vague character motivations that are never resolved?  God damn, what a cluttered shitshow.  Someone clearly asked a roomful of broadcast network TV writers to just do "Homeland" but make it a more lowest common denominator.  Corey Hawkins must be thanking his agent, AMC, God, and all the writers on The Walking Dead that they left his character's fate ambiguous and open for a return.

I did learn that, if a football field is soaked in gasoline, you can't smell it from the sidelines.  You need to be standing right in the middle of it for the odor to hit you.  So it wasn't a total loss.

I still play the game from time to time so I knew it was a thing but I haven't actually seen any of the commercials

But that's summer time programming for you

Found out Pop reruns ER now, I guess. Binged a ton of episodes from the first season on there tonight. I used to watch the show when it was first out, since it was on that great Thursday night NBC block. That one episode, "Love's Labor Lost" is incredible.

I actually remember watching it when it first aired, and couldn't really grasp the nature of it. Having not seen it since then, till now, I have a huge appreciation for it. Very intense.

I've been re-watching 30 Rock since last week, and I've come to the conclusion that it's the last great sitcom. I'll go as far as to say it's better than Parks & Rec, and that's saying a lot because I love that show too.

It pains my heart that there hasn't been a really good sitcom on network television since these two shows. Please, if I'm wrong, someone inform me.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

It pains my heart that there hasn't been a really good sitcom on network television since these two shows. Please, if I'm wrong, someone inform me.

'The Carmicheal Show'.  Thus far, this season it's dealt with date rape, assisted suicide, mass shootings, and a husband lying to his wife for over 30 years...and it's still hilarious.

• Like 2

I've started watching the Leftovers and after powering through season one I thought it was a bit meh. Watched the first episode of season two last night and have to ask - was this a soft reboot or something? The new location and (improved) opening credits really jarred me at first

The Carmichael Show is The Cosby Show for the new generation because it airs out black folks cultural dirty laundry, only this time without the Cosby Show safety net and that's why it is totally fucking awesome.

I also love black-ish.  I wish it were as brave as The Carmichael Show when it comes to subject matter, but the Johnson clan feels and acts more like a family while the Carmichael family feels more like a group of actors doing sketch comedy. 

I laugh at both shows for entirely different reasons.

• Like 1

HBO is in early development on a series adaptation of the novel “Who Fears Death” with “Game of Thrones” scribe George R.R. Martin attached as an executive producer, according to “Who Fears Death” author Nnedi Okorafor.

YES~!  I have waited six years for someone to take notice of this wonderful novel and either bring it to cable or make a movie out of it.

The subject matter is really tough though.  No doubt I will be a weeping mess while watching this..

Magic realist novel set in the future.  In a post-apocalypse Sudan, a woman is raped and conceives a child.  Child is born in the desert under extraordinary circumstances and is revealed to have extraordinary powers as she grows up.  Eventually the girl comes to realize that she has a destiny which is tied up in the fate of her mother's oppressed people and that she might have to die to achieve that destiny.  She's also caught the attention of something powerful and magical, which wants her dead.

That's the setup.  Thematically, the book balances the supernatural elements with heavy doses of African culture and sexual/racial politics.  I read it after it won the World Fantasy Award and thought it was very good.

The title comes from the main characters name, which translates into English as "Who fears death."

• Like 2