DVDVR Message Board

MLB - JULY 2017

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I wonder how fast Cy Young actually pitched. He'd probably never even make the majors now.

The name Cy was short for "Cyclone", which was a reference to how hard he threw.  He also was known for his ungodly control of the ball, which is why later on, his go-to pitch was a 12-6 curve. Or you could probably look at any stat and/or metric, where he's off the charts incredible.  

The biggest knock on him, or anyone pre-1947, was that he only played against white Americans. 

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I like this deal. The guy we got is a legit prospect who has succeeded at every level. The last part is the thing that reassures me the most. The amazing thing is that nobody wants Bruce despite the fact he probably should've been an all star. We are probably better off keeping him, qualifying him after the season and if he walks get a good draft pick as compensation.

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

I like this deal. The guy we got is a legit prospect who has succeeded at every level. The last part is the thing that reassures me the most. The amazing thing is that nobody wants Bruce despite the fact he probably should've been an all star. We are probably better off keeping him, qualifying him after the season and if he walks get a good draft pick as compensation.

I'm very surprised at the lack of interest in Jay Bruce. He's having a really good season. I've got him on two of my fantasy teams. I guess now that Duda is gone, first base will be his for the rest of the season. 

Now, I can totally understand the lack of interest in Curtis Granderson. Even with all the home runs, I was never really fond of him during his time with the Yankees.

Wow, the mighty fill-in for injured guy starter and bullpen of terror beats the Cubs without our offense doing much of anything. I'll take the fluke.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:36 AM, Ryan said:

I wonder how fast Cy Young actually pitched. He'd probably never even make the majors now.

Against today's hitters you could reasonably expect that Cy Young would keep his ERA around 2.90, average just over 200 Ks a season and likely post a W-L record of something on the order of 17-7 or something like that. Of course, the man would be 150 years-old, which would account for the diminished stats... 

• Like 4

I bet he only threw 105! He'd never last without Doc Scammy's Horse Pills. Made from real horses since 1885. You don't want to know what part.

• Like 1

If it was the stuff on Futurama, he'd buy a lifetime supply. I like the idea of Captain Yesterday pitching in 2017 being Cy Young.

Every time I see a trade for a player to be named later I think of when the 62 Mets made one of these trades. When it came time to give the other team the player they sent them back the player they traded in the first place.

• Like 1